It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple Homemade Guacamole

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I'm going to the produce store tomorrow!!

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
When we have avocados, I often make what I call guac on a half-shell. I cut the avocado in half, take out the seed, mash up the fruit in the half shell, add some mayonaise, chopped tomato, chopped onion, chopped jalapeño or serrano pepper, salt, lemon, chile. I mash it all up inside the shell and serve it like that, eat it right out of the shell.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I mean, zucchini is mostly water, so what you describe is more like a liquescent green sauce or condiment, and not a thick consistency sauce.

Interesting though.

That reminds me of a common Puerto Rican green table sauce... Or, as they call it "salt."

What is an expensive avocado? They're between $1 and $1.70 here in Georgia, year round.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
When we have avocados, I often make what I call guac on a half-shell. I cut the avocado in half, take out the seed, mash up the fruit in the half shell, add some mayonaise, chopped tomato, chopped onion, chopped jalapeño or serrano pepper, salt, lemon, chile. I mash it all up inside the shell and serve it like that, eat it right out of the shell.

That sounds good! Basically guacamole....

When I eat avocados plain, I usually just halve it, remove the pit, and dig in with a spoon. Occasionally I'll add some salt pepper and lime juice.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Your recipe sounds delicious minus the mayo. My husband taught me that you can prevent browning by putting the seeds in the guacamole after you have prepared it.

I love any type of guacamole except the vacuum packed already cut avocados and store bought guacamole; it is just not the same.

My favorite for me and kids is just salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Simple and you can use it as a dip, in a taco salad, avocado toast, fish tacos, turkey sandwiches etc.

I have 3 avocados that I bought yesterday and are ready to go- I’m hungry now, off to guacamole heaven.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Stop making me hungry at bedtime, meanie!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

To some of us, cilantro tastes like cat ass!!

Yup. It is horrible when horrible!!

My guess is forced growth and too much fertilizer. But that is because we have an organic hydroponic grower that makes stuff that is not parsley or cat ass!!

If done in small batches, organic, hydroponic (if possible), and not drowning the dish... yeah, cilantro is not bad.

But everything else is curly parsley at Denny’s!!!

Yuk!

@OP, a little good (homegrown??) cilantro para me!
edit on 22-7-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: cat ass

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well, maybe chocolate could be added to the guacamole to make it heart healthy.

scitechdaily.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

My guess is forced growth and too much fertilizer. But that is because we have an organic hydroponic grower that makes stuff that is not parsley or cat ass!!

If done in small batches, organic, hydroponic (if possible), and not drowning the dish... yeah, cilantro is not bad.

But everything else is curly parsley at Denny’s!!!

Yuk!

@OP, a little good (homegrown??) cilantro para me!

It tastes and smells like gym socks to me, not cat'sass. Don't ask how I know it does not smell like Catsass, they go past our faces when they go under the covers.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 01:41 AM
link   
u can also squeeze lime juice over the top of the guac then press plastic wrap over it removing all air for storage. will actually last awhile but honestly mine never lasts long enough to worry about storage.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Daily Aguacate eater here. I use a similar recipe but I add olives and olive oil, and extra lime.

I used to add mayo, but I dropped it years ago cuz didn't like the "dip" taste, as Markovian mentioned.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I basically eat guac every damn day lol

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
we do it very simple: mince onion to taste, and juice lime to taste. Add in some salt and pepper, serve with Julio's tortilla chips (the only tortilla chips worth spending money on)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Its genetic. Some people will find that cilantro takes on a soapy, or other unpleasant taste. Others enjoy it for what it is. And some dislike it for other reasons (to me its fine in small amounts, but it can't be the star of the show...needs to be hidden in the background a bit like in Indian cuisine).

what is the crap i see about people putting stuff like Mayo in guac? Sacre Bleu!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

Stop making me hungry at bedtime, meanie!!!

Haha!

Let me just tell you how delicious it was.

Zero left.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Last post on your thread, i promise.

There is a seasoning company in Waxachie, TX called "Meat Church" run by a well known pitmaster named Matt Pittman. They have a rub called "Holy Voodoo" that is the best thing I have ever had, especially on an avocado (with a squeeze of lime).

I put Voodoo on everything. Except fruit...for fruit i use Tajin (less herby flavored).

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yeah, to some people, I've heard, it has a soapy taste.

Science Explains Why Cilantro Tastes Like Soap For Certain People

Having never tossed a cat's salad, I can't speak to that.

I bought some cilantro once or twice that had zero taste or scent, which sucked, and I'm not sure why it had no taste. Definitely useless for the fish tacos I bought it for....I was kinda angry about that.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
we do it very simple: mince onion to taste, and juice lime to taste. Add in some salt and pepper, serve with Julio's tortilla chips (the only tortilla chips worth spending money on)

The only reason, actually, I add tomato is I loved the guac i had at la Parilla. Garlic, because of the flavor profile it added after having it at my dad's.

I never added mayo before this year, and only a small amount. Like I said, not enough to change the flavor or consistency, so perhaps an unnecessary ingredient.

Never heard of Julio's. What's supreme about it, and is it regional?

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Last post on your thread, i promise.

There is a seasoning company in Waxachie, TX called "Meat Church" run by a well known pitmaster named Matt Pittman. They have a rub called "Holy Voodoo" that is the best thing I have ever had, especially on an avocado (with a squeeze of lime).

I put Voodoo on everything. Except fruit...for fruit i use Tajin (less herby flavored).

With a name like Voodoo, is it spicy, or what spices are in it? Might have to search it out.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Mild jalapeno. Not spicy.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join