It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German State BANS Wearing Burqas in Schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Is banning a clothing choice an infringement on freedom, or is it different when that clothing choice itself is widely believed to infringe on freedom?

The burqa is an infamous garment worn by some Muslim women that covers the entire body, head to toe, except for the eyes. The burqa is less commonly worn than the hijab, the simple head scarves considered religiously significant by those of the Islamic faith. Burqas are a controversial topic around the world. Wikipedia tells me the garment is already banned in 15 countries.

Well, the subject has been debated throughout Germany before, but now the German state of Baden-Württemberg has decided to take action and completely ban children from wearing a burqa in school.

The government of the western German state of Baden-Württemberg agreed on Tuesday to ban full-face coverings, often known as burqa or niqab, in schools.

State Premier and prominent Green politician Winfried Kretschmann conceded that cases of full-face veiling in schools were rare, but said that nonetheless, a legal ruling was necessary for the rare cases.

Kretschmann said that full-face veiling did not belong in a free society. But he added that such a ban at the university level, where students are adults, was a more complex question. For now, the rule in Baden-Wurttemberg will only apply to primary and secondary education.

m.dw.com...

So, ATS, I'm curious to hear all of your opinions on this matter. Is banning children from wearing burqas an infringement of their freedom, or does the garment itself infringe on their freedom?

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 12:26 AM
link   
No, not at all.
When in Germany, do as the Germans do. Simple to understand.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: bigsnowman

Your grandmother's generation fought for their freedom to wear anything they wanted.

The sixties were the era when things changed dramatically although the Roaring Twenties played a part as well. I think the bikini was the real change for the better.

Before this women wore long skirts, hats and gloves. Going back further, women kept almost everything covered.

Women's rights was a hard fought for battle and going back is not an option that anyone should be considering.

Great job for this small part of Germany.

P

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I'd rather see the ideology change that thinks it holy to put a bag over girls and women's heads so they don't tempt men than societies have to ban it.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Not that i think burqas or the reasoning behind them are that great, but burqas bad masks good?
edit on 22/7/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 01:00 AM
link   
In my state they banned the wearing of ball cap in drivers license photos because of Timothy V. of the OK city bombing. Yet they will let females wear veils for their pictures, it's about time they stopped this crap. (I know a veils are a religious beliefs, if you saw my bald head you'd say put a damn cap on your fugly without it).
edit on 22-7-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: spellin

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 01:15 AM
link   
A good thing if you ask me , there is no place for this in the western society.

Equal rights and all , no woman should be forced to do something a man don't have to.

If you move to another country , you adapt to their culture.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

And a man should be able to wear what ever they wish. The Germans came to America so we now have Oktoberfest hooray for them.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Nazism is also banned in Germany is it not? Nazism is frowned upon because it is a hateful, intolerant ideology.

islam is FAR worse than nazism in every single aspect.

Ban the burqa and ban the pedophillic ideology as well.
It’s Disgusting that such a racist, misogynistic, homophobic, genocidal, totalitarian belief system is openly defended by the most moronic of people in the western world.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 02:24 AM
link   
It is because of covering the face
Period
Some EU countries have already adopted that law.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Period

Yep. Going fully masked in Europe is a no-no. I think that has been the legal take since the Middle Ages.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Face coverings are illegal in many parts of Europe, ironically, a year ago that included wearing a face mask or simply a dust mask in public. The laws in different countries state that every individual must be recognizable in public places, but we all know that a lot of it has to do with trying to ban Islamic symbolism.
Some schools and uni's even forbid any form of religious symbolism. This is nothing new, only now there are laws, and with that the rise of religious-specific schools.
An Islamic can't wear a burka or head scarf, a Wicca can't wear a pentagram... but it's still ok for a Catholic to wear a cross

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Burqa's are a sign of the oppression of women, both by religion, by men and by their own cultures.

It is appropriate that a modern liberal country, such as Germany, starts to tackle the problem of parallel cultures within their own borders. This is especially important within education. Too little, too late though. Germany drove a nail into the coffin when the borders were flung open.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Burqa's are a sign of the oppression of women, both by religion, by men and by their own cultures.

It is appropriate that a modern liberal country, such as Germany, starts to tackle the problem of parallel cultures within their own borders. This is especially important within education. Too little, too late though. Germany drove a nail into the coffin when the borders were flung open.

Exactly

Too little. Too late.

Tick tock Europe, tick tock.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
In my state they banned the wearing of ball cap in drivers license photos because of Timothy V. of the OK city bombing. Yet they will let females wear veils for their pictures, it's about time they stopped this crap. (I know a veils are a religious beliefs, if you saw my bald head you'd say put a damn cap on your fugly without it).

"God only made so many perfect heads, the rest were covered with hair"

~ My hairdresser

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Terrorists no longer escape dressed as a woman and escape their evil deeds.

No longer hiding as a woman..... hiding behind a dress.....

quote]originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

originally posted by: Gothmog
Period

Yep. Going fully masked in Europe is a no-no. I think that has been the legal take since the Middle Ages.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I don't care if it infringes upon someone's civil liberies I think its a good move and I hope that we follow suit very soon here in the UK.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   

All ghost stories and superstitions should be left in the past, all of them.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It seems like it can go both ways. However, I feel burqas and any religious idiology that enslaves people with clothing habits infringes on personal freedom and a basic human right of an individual. Burqas can also be used to conceal bombs and weapons by terrorists. Schools have enough worries with mass school shootings let alone have to worry about a women terrorist hiding a weapon under their burqa!

People should have a right to wear what they want, but it shouldn't be dictated by a reiigious idiology, or wearing face coverings when entering a store (except when were going through a virus panademic, lol).

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Finally. Now ban these inside public swimming pools too.

I support this law.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join