It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP--'We Will Capitalize Black...But Not white'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
a reply to: IAMTAT

White was discriminated against by location such as help wanted no Irish need to aply, or stinking Italians need not aply or the term of dirty Jews or dumb Pollacks or Pope loving Catholics the Protestants feared that JFK would be unduly influenced by the Pope so there was discrimination.

Worth bumping to new page
White was discriminated against by location such as help wanted no Irish need to apply, or stinking Italians need not aplpy or the term of dirty Jews or dumb Pollacks or Pope loving Catholics the Protestants feared that JFK would be unduly influenced by the Pope so there was discrimination.

Mandella effect, none of that really happened, you are misremembering.

and you are full of it.
Mandela effect blacks were never called Ni..... and Mexicans were never called Spics, blacks were never called jungle bunnies either.
edit on 21-7-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere

isn't that basically implying black people have no individual cultures, histories or nationalities? that even Africans that have immigrated within the last 100 years are all the same. seems pretty disrespectful and dismissive of African heritage, it also shows how fake the liberals are about racism, going to extremes to show they aren't racist, always trying to get approval and a pat on the back as if they did something good for the world.

The thing is only about 3 Blacks on this entire planet would say this bull sht is a priority in their lives, this is not the hill they collectively are willing to die on, Black folks international or local have waaay too much to worry About...economic stuff, landmines climate change etc.
edit on 21-7-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

LMAO! So they think it's a good idea to act like the overwhelming majority of people in this country are second class citizens? I guess once you go full retard, you never go back. Funny thing is, the people making these decisions at the top are white White.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: Boadicea

I was taught to capitalize both "Black" and "White,"

Why ?
They are both colors , nothing related to being capitalized , and nothing to do with people either.
Actually , one is the near absence of reflected light and the other is near total reflected light .

When used as a descriptive noun rather than an adjective, especially a proper noun, you are wrong.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Really? I've never capitalized either one because, A) I couldn't care less, and B) you don't capitalize a color unless you're beginning a sentence with it or it's in a title. Asian, Mexican, American, those are capitalized, but not color.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
ply to: DanDanDat
On point, there are no monolithic ,
" Black" culture , lifestyle or experiences up to a certain point, even within an American context.much less globally.

DAMN.
Why does this post of yours NOT have a kabillion stars???

You hit the nail on the head.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimens
unbelievable, i am all for equal rights for everybody but this kind of thing is more racist then what they are trying to fight against?

Let them know what you think about it..

link
*www.ap.org/contact-us/contact-newsroom

I'd rather watch what happens as more white SJW's tell normal Americans what is best for minorities. Trust me when I say the egg on their face will be priceless in the end.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Well that's fine...
But when I read the word black I will be pronouncing it in my head with a lower case b....

I read "African-American" with a lowercase b, too, when I see it.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Aren't CaPItAl LetteRs SHOUTING? Just another right wing RREEEEEEEEE thread, promoting thEIR imagined victimaZAtion.

Lol. It's never the ones screaming for change because of "victimization" that you have a problem with.

Maybe try to get your piroriteis straight.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I've never capitalized either one because, A) I couldn't care less...

Or because you get paid for correct spelling/grammar/punctuation, including capitalizing proper nouns.... or you just want to be correct. I didn't make the rules -- still don't! I just followed them.

...and B) you don't capitalize a color unless you're beginning a sentence with it or it's in a title.

Asian, Mexican, American, those are capitalized, but not color.

Technically, this isn't capitalizing a color per se, but capitalizing a race, which is considered a proper noun, just like the nationalities you cited. Therefore, it is accordance with the literary rules for capitalizing proper nouns.
edit on 21-7-2020 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Why ?
They are both colors , nothing related to being capitalized , and nothing to do with people either.
Actually , one is the near absence of reflected light and the other is near total reflected light .

When used as a descriptive noun rather than an adjective, especially a proper noun, you are wrong.

Why am I wrong ?
Descriptive nouns are not capitalized
At least not in US or UK English.
Only proper nouns or adjectives are capitalized.
Now , which one of us is incorrect ?

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Why ?

You're wrong. American would be a descriptive noun. Not white, not black. And neither of those are capitalized when describing a white or black person.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   

It describes the color of the person, not the race. Therefore it is not capitalized. Any "professional" journalist who capitalizes any color of a race only proves how unprofessional and uneducated they really are. That's not directed at you by any means, only those who have acquired degrees in things like education or journalism and misuse it.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

It describes the color of the person, not the race. Therefore it is not capitalized. Any "professional" journalist who capitalizes any color of a race only proves how unprofessional and uneducated they really are. That's not directed at you by any means, only those who have acquired degrees in things like education or journalism and misuse it.

From what I'm finding right now, it seems that what is being taught/recommended is all over the place. I probably got it from Strunk and White, but I can't find my copy, and haven't yet found it online. But the APA Style seems to be an accepted authority of sorts, and they advise capitalizing both. Their advice is cited by others.

The Columbia Journalism Review recommends capitalizing "Black" but not "white" for basically SJW reasons.

I recall reading several years back that "Black" and "White" would no longer be capitalized. I think about the same time the second space after a period was no longer recommended. I keep doing both just out of habit! It seems now that the only reason to start capitalizing "Black" again but not "White" is simply for SJW purposes. As the Columbia Journalism Review article states:

For many people, Black reflects a shared sense of identity and community. White carries a different set of meanings; capitalizing the word in this context risks following the lead of white supremacists.

I really don't care if they are capitalized or not, but if one is then the other must be as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Why ?

Why am I wrong ?

Collective nouns are descriptive nouns. For example:

These Blacks are ruining the neighbourhood.

These Whites are ruining the neighbourhood.

You can't use lower case in these instances because it makes no sense.

Context specific of course.
edit on 21-7-2020 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Why ?

Why am I wrong ?

Not according to the rules of proper grammar.
And this all started in an attempt to teach one that color , etc. does not appear anywhere in Biological Classification lists.

edit on 7/21/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Why ?

Why am I wrong ?

And this all started in an attempt to teach one that color , etc. does not appear anywhere in Biological Classification lists.

I was just stating that if one uses Black as a descriptive, one should use White in the same way, and also that the use of adjectives as nouns can and should be capitalized when used as proper nouns.

We good?

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Why ?

Why am I wrong ?

I was just stating that if one uses Black as a descriptive, one should use White in the same way, and also that the use of adjectives as nouns can and should be capitalized when used as proper nouns.

We good?

So , are you saying there is a biological (not genetic) difference between members of the human race (Homo Sapiens) ?

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
“Black” is not a proper noun nor the beginning word in a sentence. The AP is breaking the rules of grammar to signal their virtue. How stupid.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

YES!!!

BIOLOGICAL HUMANS ARE BETTER....THAN...HOL' UP..

WAIT...

BE RIGHT BACK

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join