It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP--'We Will Capitalize Black...But Not white'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) — After changing its usage rules last month to capitalize the word “Black” when used in the context of race and culture, The Associated Press on Monday said it would not do the same for “white.”

The AP said white people in general have much less shared history and culture, and don’t have the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color.

apnews.com...

In the immortal words of our own DBCowboy:

"Umm. . . .

Uhhhh. . . . . . .

Ummmmm . . . . . . .

Ehhhhhhhh. . . . . . . . . . .

I . . . . . . . . .

It, ummmm. . . . . . . . . .

Oh. . . . . . . . . . . . . ."

The tortured reasoning behind the AP's decision is convoluted at best...RACIST at it's worse.
What's clear is that the AP is following a disturbing precedent set by the Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, NBC News and Chicago Tribune:

“White doesn’t represent a shared culture and history in the way Black does,” The New York Times said on July 5 in explaining its decision.

CNN, FOX and The San Diego Union-Tribune have said they will continue to capitalize both White and Black.

These media outlets are exhibiting (while attempting to rationalize) a double standard where reporting on race is concerned.
There is really no other reasonable explanation for this decision.

In short...the Associated Press, the NYT, the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, NBC News and the Chicago Tribune...are now making the conscious choice to practice overt discrimination and Racism in their reporting.

--I KID YOU NOT.

edit on 21-7-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT
Typical.
There are some here who will applaude this.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Typical.

I'd like to see them do it.
It would mean they're racist as well.

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Nope.

I will now capitalize White but not black.

Suck it AP.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Proud Med-Supremacist and former white person.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

The AP said white people in general have much less shared history and culture, and don’t have the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color.

So this is their way of evening discrimination? Lol.

Next up, milk must be dyed purple.
edit on 21-7-2020 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Have to admit that's all kinds stooopit, sometimes the left make it so easy, when I first saw the title header I thought capitalization for Blacks like investments ???..

edit on 21-7-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   

They said they're capitalizing "black", but that word is not capitalized in their own article. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought they mean all letters.
edit on 21-7-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I’m pretty much done with this country. Sick of the politicians, sick of the media, sick of the people.

Not sure where I’m going to go, I’ve had my eyes set on Costa RIca for a while as I’ve talked with some ex-pats who are rather thrilled with it since jumping ship. While I strongly prefer warmer weather year round, Vancouver has seemed appealing as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
Nope.

Suck it AP.

Why? If you consider it wrong to capitalize "Black" but not "White," then why sink to that level?

I was taught to capitalize both "Black" and "White," for the same reasons we capitalize "Asian," "Hispanic," etc. It differentiates between the color (a simple noun), and a person/people (a proper noun).

One of the biggest problems we have today is the confusion of the language, and its rules of execution. Like traffic signs, it is meant for communicating specific ideas and information. When people confuse the language and literary constructs, the message is confused and the information is therefore lost.

Why play their game and give them exactly what they want?

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
unbelievable, i am all for equal rights for everybody but this kind of thing is more racist then what they are trying to fight against?

Let them know what you think about it..

link
*www.ap.org/contact-us/contact-newsroom

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Proud Med-Supremacist and former white person.

You should've waited another week to renounce your Whiteness...you'll miss out on this weekend's big White privilege picnic and business networking get-together.
edit on 21-7-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Ooooh... that sounds fun!

I want purple milk!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

You should've waited another week to renounce your Whiteness...you'll miss out on this weekend's big White privilege picnic and business networking get-together.

Goddammit. And I just donated all my Hawaiian shirts too. Save me a hunk of Tuna Helper and some Bud Light.

ETA: I will miss my white Privilege Card and all the things I could do with it like get on the express lane with 11 items and go swimming 29 minutes after I ate.

edit on 21-7-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
Nope.

Suck it AP.

From what i saw AP want Black to have the capital punishment, Racist pieces of crap they are.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: FauxMulder

Ooooh... that sounds fun!

I want purple milk!!!

I thought so too, but then after I posted that I got a call and was told purple milk would be offensive and cultural appropriation of the great eggplant.

We may need to invent a new color.

edit on 21-7-2020 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Typical.

most will just get on with their lives

sheesh Roger Stone says negro and people says its just words, now people offended over a capital letter or not

to quote the OP from the Roger Stone thread

Apparently, the US Census does not consider the term 'Negro' to be derogatory in nature.

let me update it to

Apparently, the general Census does not consider the lack of capital letters to be derogatory in nature.

ATS, once a proud conspiracy site
edit on 21-7-2020 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
...egg plant.

And you're a cantaloupe.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't understand;

The AP said white people in general have much less shared history and culture

The problem I see is that Black people around this world also have a diverse set of histories and cultures, many of them quite unique and remarkable. Why does the Associate Press want to erase these many different cultures and boil all black people down into the culture of the Black American who has a history of American slavery? That is an important culture; but important enough to dominate all others?

Sounds like the white executives at AP are just pedaling in soft bigotry; pretending they care when all they are really doing is propagating the same old stereotypes they always have.

As a disabled person I have experienced this type of bigotry all my life. The disingenuous "help", "sympathy" and "pity" that only goes as far as it doesn't become inconvenient and provides a feeling of accomplishment for the person giving it.

The AP doesn't care to help black people; they are only interested in their own image.
edit on 21-7-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: FauxMulder
...egg plant.

And you're a cantaloupe.

I've got no say in it.

I am whatever they say I am.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join