It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signaling Virtuous Victimhood as Indicators of DarkTriad Personalities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
From the paper published in The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology July 2/2020:

We investigate the consequences and predictors of emitting signals of victimhood and virtue. In our first three studies, we show that the virtuous victim signal can facilitate nonreciprocal resource transfer from others to the signaler. Next, we develop and validate a victim signaling scale that we combine with an established measure of virtue signaling to operationalize the virtuous victim construct. We show that individuals with Dark Triad traits—Machiavellianism, Narcissism, Psychopathy—more frequently signal virtuous victimhood, controlling for demographic and socioeconomic variables that are commonly associated with victimization in Western societies. In Study 5, we show that a specific dimension of Machiavellianism—amoral manipulation—and a form of narcissism that reflects a person’s belief in their superior prosociality predict more frequent virtuous victim signaling. Studies 3, 4, and 6 test our hypothesis that the frequency of emitting virtuous victim signal predicts a person’s willingness to engage in and endorse ethically questionable behaviors, such as lying to earn a bonus, intention to purchase counterfeit products and moral judgments of counterfeiters, and making exaggerated claims about being harmed in an organizational context.

I thought this 29-page paper was a timely read on the current world events we are experiencing on a near-daily basis nowadays. It seems from the conclusion part of the paper that these 6 studies are being reported on in this paper.

Link to the journal paper PDF: scottbarrykaufman.com...

This paper is analytical in nature. It is not an article about the paper so to get through it you can expect to wade through a great deal of statistical information. I read it and find that it is very convincing with regard to the phycology of victimhood and virtue signaling. I would have liked to find some analysis of the effects of social media on amplifying this behavior. Perhaps another factor involved but not analyzed in this study is the effect of mass media playing into this to further amplify this pathology globally.

edit on 7/20/2020 by machineintelligence because: updated

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Just confirms what we all know.

Take for example the virtue signalling mayor of Seattle.
"Look at me! Look at me!!! I am so SJW and "caring" and virtuous"
Not!
She was all for letting Chaz/Chop riot and "secede from the US", occupy/vandalize a police station, block streets, EVEN SHOOTINGS AND MURDERS in that 6 block area.

However, when fellow leftist Seattle councilor Sawant led a BLM protest to the Mayor's HOME, IT TOOK LESS THAN 12 HOURS FOR THE CHAZ ZONE TO BE DISMANTLED BY POLICE, WITH NO RESULTING VIOLENCE OR EVEN PUSHBACK FROM THE PROTESTERS OF ANY KIND.

Thus, these violent rioters were controlled by the Mayor since day 1, CLEARLY.

BOTTOM LINE FOR THAT MAYOR:
- Rioting up to and including Murder is OK
- But protesting at the Mayor's house is a "lese majeste, off with their heads" event

And, to top it off, the Mayor is seeking to have Sawant criminally charged (for ???) and seeks to have her expelled from Seattle city council.

Dark triad indeed....

edit on 20-7-2020 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

While M5xaz has chosen to highlight this article in relationship to the mayor of Seattle, I suggest that a better example is you know who.

Mr. Dark Triad traits—Machiavellianism, Narcissism, Psychopathy himself, Donald Trump. The virtue signalling he uses all the time when he presents his speeches, the whiny little innocent type voice, the ''' Oh my oh my'' of his crying about how he is so picked on by the media and the liberals and the deep (they are out to get me ) state smacks of the description in the offered article. Thanks .

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   

And to be a little less one sided I will say that I agree that how media likes to play the innocent victim rendition of events also gets my goat. ''And now, a few words from the little kid who lived next door and played in the same sandbox as the dead innocent victim'' kind of stuff.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Trump "occupies" your head full time. THOP - Trump Head Occupied Permanently
edit on 20-7-2020 by panoz77 because: sp

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

I'm no victim. Maybe you have purchased his virtue signalling.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Indeed, I am a member of STOMP.
Stop Trump's Overwhelming Machiavellian Psychopathy.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Indeed, I am a member of STOMP.
Stop Trump's Overwhelming Machiavellian Psychopathy.

Edited
THOP = Terry's Head Occupied Permanently

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

This was an interesting read, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 12:23 AM
link   
More evidence for my own personal theory that virtue-signaling is the mask sociopaths wear to spoof human empathy.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

While M5xaz has chosen to highlight this article in relationship to the mayor of Seattle, I suggest that a better example is you know who.

Mr. Dark Triad traits—Machiavellianism, Narcissism, Psychopathy himself, Donald Trump. The virtue signalling he uses all the time when he presents his speeches, the whiny little innocent type voice, the ''' Oh my oh my'' of his crying about how he is so picked on by the media and the liberals and the deep (they are out to get me ) state smacks of the description in the offered article. Thanks .

Look up the actual definition of virtue signalling:
Virtue Signalling
To take a conspicuous but essentially useless action ostensibly to support a good cause but actually to show off how much more moral you are than everybody else.

This is what liberal SJW do.
Not conservatives

Furthermore, Trump is not the one LETTING CHAZ AND MURDERS HAPPEN, PRAISING BLM !!!
EXCEPT WHEN THEY PEACEFULLY PROTEST, THE HYPOCRISY DARK TRIAD SHOWS UP

EXPOSED....

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Look up the actual definition of virtue signalling:
Virtue Signalling
To take a conspicuous but essentially useless action ostensibly to support a good cause but actually to show off how much more moral you are than everybody else.

This is what liberal SJW do.
Not conservatives

# Isnt that whats wrong with the world today?

# Social Media is a petri dish for it .....

# Peoples existance depends entirely on how many likes and heart emo's they get!!

# They have a melt down and need their safe places if they feel they dont

get enough.

Furthermore, Trump is not the one LETTING CHAZ AND MURDERS HAPPEN, PRAISING BLM !!!
EXCEPT WHEN THEY PEACEFULLY PROTEST, THE HYPOCRISY DARK TRIAD SHOWS UP
EXPOSED....

new topics

top topics

join