It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America needs the draft again

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   
When I was just out of high school, I had such a low draft number that I was going to get the letter any day. Every month there would be mandatory physicals at the local Army base and they would pick us all up as a group on a Saturday morning in the green bus. It was 1969.

I decided that going into the Service would be my own decision, and signed up for the Navy.

As it turned out, it was the best decision I ever made. I stayed in for 8 years and then did some reserve time.

The service taught me how to stand on my own, take care of myself and be a responsible citizen.

I do not agree that a selective service draft is needed, and there are plenty of people that will attempt to seek military service and careers.

I will say, that it worked for me and was a great starting point in the rest of my life.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam
Something needs to happen.
National service sounds like a decent Idea if done right. not getting into what is right or wrong, but sending to war probably not, but something , anything else maybee......
late 70's I had a paper route from age 11 to age 15 had me out the door at 5 am , then school, then homework, Saturday and Sunday delivery as well. On my bike. We had to go collect the fees from customers back then, door to door, and I was personally accountable to get the fees to the paper, by mail, and pay myself with the remaining cash and checks I collected. It was my own business at 11.........
I had a record of my ledger sheets by hand.......
And guess what ? I lived through it, It was actually super cool, I liked it....
My dad opened a checking account for me.
Many of my friends also had jobs too, my sisters were babysitters and watched dogs for the neighborhood, .......
It was normal. It taught us how to be productive and responsible people.....
If I went on a camping trip with my family I HAD TO find a substitute to fill in for me. MY responsibility.......
Its all gone now.
My most recent GF had a 21 year old obese son who lays on the couch all day when home. the other 2 rarely leave their rooms. Video games. No jobs at all. Their friends came over and sat on their cell phones all day, then made food, and left a total mess, and didn't clean up at all. Not even the girls. No one ever even offered. I cooked sometimes, no thank -you's, no care, sometimes they came, grabbed , and ran back to the rooms , then deposited the dirty dishes back in the sink at 3 AM. ........ They literally dropped stuff on the floor and left it there........
everything is handed to them........
My students expect passing grades for doing absolutely nothing and the parent YELL at me in conference time to give the kid at least a C- so he can still play basketball........
It is a massive issue that is breaking society....
Something needs to happen...

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam
Or as the Brits call it National Service on the other side of the pond you call it conscription or the draft , Tomatoes Tomatoes !,

en.wikipedia.org...

Active conscription came to an end in 1973 when the United States Armed Forces moved to an all-volunteer military. However, conscription remains in place on a contingency basis and all male U.S. citizens, regardless of where they live, and male immigrants, whether documented or undocumented, residing within the United States, who are 18 through 25 are required to register with the Selective Service System.[2][3] United States federal law also continues to provide for the compulsory conscription of men between the ages of 17 and 45 and certain women for militia service pursuant to Article I, Section 8 of the United States Constitution and 10 U.S. Code § 246.[4][5][6]

With the way our respective countries are tearing themselves apart at this present time in history it would be a good way to integrate the youth of today and install some values in them that would last a life time and then some , The USA and the UK are both going down the toilet because of a lack of respect for the Flag and our elders and our surroundings which were bought and paid for in blood .

Hood rats in London or Chicago it is all the same ,Death and destruction and some one benefits from all the chaos that ensues be it drug lords or undertakers they all have a share in it including police and politicians and it keeps lawyers in work

Time to get old school again or it will get like south America in North America with the deaths and cheap drugs and gun parts appearing in your cities

www.worldatlas.com...

The gentlemen i respected in my life and who taught me things all did National service /conscription and talked fondle of it . we have infrastructure that is falling apart and a youth that is fat and lazy and needs a good shake up the ass , Girls do girls stuff like nursing for a 2 year period and boys do boy stuff like learn to build not blow up

What is the worst that could happen , your thoughts ATS

We.currently have 1.3 million active duty servicemen and women pmis another 800,000 in the reserves and that dlesnt factor in national guard units that can be swiftly generalized. So with a minimum of 2.5 million people to call up st1any given time, why on earth.do we need a draft or mandatory service like Israel or Greece? Our volunteer army out slends and out trains thw next 6 or 7 largest militaries combined. We have zero need for a draft.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Lr103

In your opinion what is the cause of this massive social shift from being self sufficiency to one of dependency?

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck
Thank you for asking.

In my opinion, several things. Money. And media. And a massive advance in technology and the speed of communication. It happened so fast it has outpaced our normal human evolutionary schedule to adapt and change....

misunderstandings are already reported as fact as soon as they are out of the gate....

No recovery time....

Global society is going to take time to adapt but the pace is so fast...

and led to this strange temporary (I hope) and potentially deadly place we are in now, technology has made life too easy, we have lost ( or are loosing) the skills to actually interact with other humans, it is a big giant issue in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Lr103

As humans, We seem to be our own worst enemy. And the more money or "wealth" some people have seems to render them immune to worry or to turtle shell themselves into a self satisfactory not- caring position and the cycle deepens, the MSM... don't even get me started... lol.... It is disturbing to me. And so many morons just spinning around everywhere without any level of actual critical thinking...
Not sure if I adequately responded to your question, its alot of things that all seemed to happen in a short time of 30- 40 years.... but boy did it happen.

edit on 7/20/2020 by Lr103 because: The morons. it's the morons.

edit on 7/20/2020 by Lr103 because: and the MSM

edit on 7/20/2020 by Lr103 because: and the moron's parents. Who are morons.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Raggedyman

Well I only say this because if women want true equality in all aspects of life then they should also be subjected to the negative aspects as too.

Yeah but, many women don’t want equality they just want respect.

If I was to serve, I as a man don’t want to kill people and all the ladies will have the supporting roles forcing me to be a killer, is that fair?

No pressure, no answer is going to please everyone, just throwing it out there

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
If we were to use Israel as the example the women in the Israeli defense army do serve in combat and have had been killed between 1962-2016 over 535 have died. The main point is in defense not sending compulsory soldiers to foreign lands to fight foreign wars.

edit on 20-7-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Yes yes and yes!

Will read this properly after work, but from the title alone us brits DEFINITELY need this.

Get all the Chavs, gangs, travellers and malingerers' off the street.

It would cost a lot, but just imagine how much safer our cities/towns would be.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:42 AM
link   
We started out with a draftee army, just like the Romans.

And just like the Romans, we killed off our best and our brightest that way. Also, the quality of draftees (low) lengthened the war and cost more blood in the end.

Rumsfeld actually killed the draft, called himself the American Marius. I # you not.

The Marian reforms were designed to Equalize the burden born by each class. And the promise of professional soldiers excited the generals. But it also meant that the military would have less and less in common - and thus less support - from the civilian populace.

The Romans wound up with a period where the praetorian guard, an elite military unit, chose the Emperor, rather than the Senate.

We cannot go back to a draft army, anymore than we can go back to fighting with sabers and muskets.

If you’re going to be an empire, you’re going to need a professional army. And a noble class to rule the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Exactly if us mere mortals can figure out how to fix the problem of the youth of today why are we paying idiots to mess it up

You have figured nothing out. Countries with National service are no better or worse with crime. In fact Greece is afflicted with high unemployment.

You do realize that most wars are fought over resources? How would you give those serving conscription a choice not to go to fight some bankers war?

At what point do you say that the price is too high.

A better solution may be education and cleaning out and jailing of the thieves in government. We have an internet and there is no excuse for not studying the true causes of war.

If you could point to any studies that suggest a non military type of national service improves society then you may have a point.

Cannon fodder for the war machine and rich shareholders, no thanks

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   

drugs after falling out of the army and floating in life .

So military service was not the "cure all" you make it out to be?

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   

drugs after falling out of the army and floating in life .

So military service was not the "cure all" you make it out to be?

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Why are you posting fake Kennedy memes? It's bad enough people think he was some anti-Fed, anti-Secret Society crusader when he wasn't, now you have him saying things he never said about another boogeyman.

edit on 20-7-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I have read that JFK threatened to Allen Dulles himself that'd he'd (paraphrasing) "...smash the CIA into a thousand pieces".

I've no idea of the veracity of it, but have heard it mentioned in many interviews and read it in a number of written works.

JFK was a known philanderer, had lots of moral failings if you read up on him. I don't know if when you say "anit-Fed" if you're referring to Federal government overreach, or the Federal Reserve or both?

If JFK really uttered those words, and actually intended to follow through on it, that'd make him a very brave, very principled and very circumspect politician in my book, and those are terms that don't often get used in the same sentence as 'politician'.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
JFK was a known philanderer, had lots of moral failings if you read up on him. I don't know if when you say "anit-Fed" if you're referring to Federal government overreach, or the Federal Reserve or both?

Anti-Federal Reserve, which he wasn't. He ended up giving it more influence.

If JFK really uttered those words, and actually intended to follow through on it, that'd make him a very brave, very principled and very circumspect politician in my book, and those are terms that don't often get used in the same sentence as 'politician'.

He didn't say that, every single one of his speeches is cataloged, going well back to before he was President.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I think you're confused...who ever said JFK put that remark about crushing the CIA into a public speech? That would seem like an incredibly odd and unlikely phrase for a sitting president to add into a public address.

I just did a Google search and can't count on both hands how many sources, of varying credibility, verify that JFK did indeed say those words or something like it, undoubtedly in a more private setting.

So you are likely wrong on that account, or you're playing semantical games with your posts again, but I never rule anything out, maybe the remarks were a fabrication.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
I think you're confused...who ever said JFK put that remark about crushing the CIA into a public speech? That would seem like an incredibly odd and unlikely phrase for a sitting president to add into a public address.

I didn't address your CIA comment, I think you're the one who's confused, I'm referring to the comment that other poster mentioned.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Here< br />
...and here

...and here

So looks like you're incorrect.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Once more, I'm not referring to that comment, I referring to the meme the other poster put up.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join