It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can no longer turn off Emergency Alerts (Verizon Galaxy S9+)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well, I sure hope someone on here has some advice to prove me wrong... Don't know where else to post...

Recently I have started receiving Amber Alerts... Which is strange cause I haven't received any in the year or so I've had the phone. Stranger than this, I had not been getting these alerts until the most recent "Extreme Alert" mandating the use of Masks in Michigan.

So, after receiving two of these Amber Alerts within an hour or so, I decided it's time to turn them off. Until I found out I can't. The option doesn't exist anymore. The Verizon page still even has the guide on how to disable them....

This is the first phone I bought to take a chance on the stock firmware and os, I have been rooting phones and modding them to my liking for years. Unfortunately I bought a version that cannot be rooted or modded in any way.

But I think this might be the push to finally downgrade to a dumbphone or maybe the "Light Phone"

I don't know, do you guys think i'm over reacting?
edit on 19-7-2020 by AnnihilateThis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Doubt you're overreacting. Toss it.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Gotta love those "software and security" updates. I postpone them until it is finally auto forced.

We don't own much these days. a reply to: AnnihilateThis

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699
Doubt you're overreacting. Toss it.

Main reason I bought the thing was for the camera...

Might as well get a real one of those now too... Will take better pictures anyways.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
We both got those and the alert on TV. I don't see a way to turn them off on mine either.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I got an amber alert on my flip phone about an hour ago. I am also in Michigan. I see no way to turn off alerts.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I just got another one.

This is ridiculous.

How can they just remove an option like that?

I remember seeing it last at least near the beginning of the year.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Leave those things in the kitchen next to something that makes a lot of noise like a refrigerator

They even hear the beeps of you changing the channel on the television , put it in the drawer
on vibrate just to be on the safe side

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Why does getting Emergency Alerts bother you?

Having spent almost 8 years in a major Pediatric Healthcare system I'm fully invested in the concept of Alarm Fatigue but the saturation level of emergency messaging isn't anywhere near enough to trigger AF.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AnnihilateThis

First world problems...

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

It's not the fact i'm receiving alerts, it's the fact they took away the option to choose.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
So turn off your phone. Turn it on when you want to use it.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
My husband got the same alerts, but he keeps them on because he's a certified First Responder.

However, I did not get the Amber alerts.

Hubs has one of the newer LGs, I think, and mine's a Motorola. I have Amber Alerts shut off and they've stayed that way since I shut them off.

If you're having trouble finding it, assuming it is still on your phones, it was probably moved (mine was moved to a different category some time ago)

On Android systems, go to Settings
Go to Apps & Notifications
Go down to the very bottom of the list, look for Advanced. Open that.
Scroll down that list to near the bottom, Emergency Alerts should be right there (it is on mine, going through the motions right now to type this up)

For the longest time, I think my Alerts management crap was under System or something until it moved to where it is now. Hopefully, this helps someone out, assuming your Settings section is set up like mine is.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Weird, wonder if it is carrier related? I recently bought the Galaxy S20 and had forgotten about the alerts until I received one. It has the option to remove 4 different kind of alerts. I have T-mobile as my carrier.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Because it's not my business. Most of these are runaways and kids with family, so I don't have any teeth in their spats and no interest in stepping in.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

Weird, wonder if it is carrier related? I recently bought the Galaxy S20 and had forgotten about the alerts until I received one. It has the option to remove 4 different kind of alerts. I have T-mobile as my carrier.

That's a good point. Hubs' carrier is Boost, and mine is Tracfone. Both of us can opt out of most kinds of alerts (except the damn governor's s#) via the phones/carriers we have.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Government channel could always overide for alert.

And they do. Amber alerts as well. More of each recently

EMT
edit on 19-7-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Having spent almost 8 years in a major Pediatric Healthcare system I'm fully invested in the concept of Alarm Fatigue but the saturation level of emergency messaging isn't anywhere near enough to trigger AF.

Probably because It is his phone and he doesn’t want to deal with calls or notifications he didn’t authorize. I feel the same way only I rarely carry my phone with me.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I think it changed spots, the directions above linked to do not work.

Open the default Samsung Messages app. Tap the three vertical dots, Settings, Emergency Alert Settings - it's in there.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Yeah, my A71 and my LG before that and my S2 before that never had the "turn off the stupid alerts" option that I've ever found. It's a "helpful" feature so I can read what the latest edict by the witch of Lansing has forced upon me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join