It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple tactics to defeat trolls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Just in case we lose this great site. The other places we find ourselves won’t be so friendly . We can let our guard down here but that is a dangerous thing to do and other places .

Trolls have a very limited tool chest to draw from. They will come at you in many different ways. Aggressively, mockingly, working in a group or from a position of popularity. (The forum cool kids)

But the only real tactic they have is to put you on the defensive.

That puts you at a disadvantage in any debate. When anyone is on the defensive their opponent controls the narrative.

The solution is simple never never never go on the defensive always maintain the offensive. Don’t debate their narrative debate yours. Attack attack attack .

Don’t defend your position press it. Stick them in a box and make them reply to you.

When you realize you’re dealing with a troll have a plan. Use their words against them to reverse their tactics.

Pick the statement you want to use well in advance and don’t spring it on them until well on in the debate. Then make it their entire position.

Another great tactic is don’t read their replies. Just skim them and Cherry pick one sentence or half of a sentence to put them on the defensive. And once again make the passage you selected their entire argument.

We have one member here that excels in that tactic.

The other way to disarm them is to be honest. Trolls have no defense against that. The majority are inordinately dishonest with the sole goal of using whatever means necessary to get under your skin.

When they succeed you find yourself on the defensive. In that case you will lose they will succeed by making you angry .

Trolls are right sometimes just like everybody else. Admit your fault they will try to capitalize on that to put you on the defensive.

But all you have to do is say yup you were right there. It’s exceedingly difficult to argue with someone that’s telling you you’re right.

You can always ignore them too.

But where’s the fun in that?
edit on 19-7-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Guard your heart for everything you do flows from it.

- The Bible

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth .

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Don't return evil with evil.

Don't avenge. I will avenge says The Lord.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

That was all I had . Lol

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

You could change the name of this to "How to troll" and it would pretty much be right on.

There is really only one way

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Feeding the trolls can be a very painstaking process. When engaging with them don't expect them to admit to much. They will help lead you further down the rabbit hole with a barrage of claims and questions, if that is where you want to go.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I take "what a psycho would say" for 500, Alex

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Cuddle them to life.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

If we get triggered by what we read only choose to reply when back to your senses and at peace.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Trolls don't get on my cookie list or my sammie list.
Whatever happened to that other site?PM me about
that.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   

That’s not true . You can be on the defensive in many discussions with someone who’s actually interested in the topic .

Trolls are interested in the topic they’re interested in getting a emotional response only .

“ trolls die if you don’t feed them “

Yeah I’ve heard that how has that been working out for the Internet ?

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Have you ever seen a friend or someone naïve being viciously trolled ?

I’ve got a white knight syndrome with my friends I can’t help it . It’s probably a bad trait of mine but all my life I felt bullies need taught a lesson .

Trolls don’t look for conversations they look for victims .

As for the fringe .

Nobody’s been able to get a hold of chill bro.

I’m beginning to wonder if he’s in the hoosegow . Lol

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I don't know. I look at trolls like dogs. The best response to unwanted behavior is often no response, neither positive nor negative--just no engagement whatsoever. I don't think it's fun to engage them.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

That would be fine occasionally. But many trolls are relentless they pick out their victim and hound them knowing the victim is attempting to ignore them. They want to run you off from the forum or trigger you and get you banned .,

Meaning they want to silence you. You can’t ignore some no matter how great that sounds .

That’s part of their game I don’t understand the problem is with taking away their one and only tactic .

All trolling comes down to putting the victim on the defensive whether it’s insulting their ego, intelligence or beliefs .

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is what I was thinking as I was reading. Just move on. Let them play with themselves.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance

Cuddle them to life.

In God We Trust....everybody else keep your fu**ing hands where I can see them.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
This is what I was thinking as I was reading. Just move on. Let them play with themselves.

There are quite a few people I simply refuse to engage with, either because they're trolls or propagandists. It's circular and no longer holds any purpose. I might call them out from time to time, but I try to not give their threads or posts any attention or engagement.

There was one time a few years ago here I responded to a member who I'm usually at odds with, but I responded because I actually agreed with what he said. He began trying to twist what I said in agreement into something I didn't say and change the narrative and goalposts in order to argue some BS. That's when I knew he was truly a troll, and stopped replying to him or responding to his replies to me.
edit on 19-7-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
Guard your heart for everything you do flows from it.

- The Bible

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.

- Douglas Adams

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think my intent of the OP didn’t come across clearly that’s my fault .

I’ll confess straight off I like to play with the trolls .

But many others have sound advice ignore them if possible. It’s a good suggestion but I’ve never seen anyone capable of doing it all the time .

sooner or later everyone ends up in a discussion with a troll. My advice is when you find yourself there do not go on the defensive . Because you’re playing their game if not .

That’s it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join