It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coronavirus and Vaping

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I was letting my mind wander a bit earlier today, and as I pulled a big rip off of my vape and watch the huge cloud dissipate, I said, "Well damn!"

Why the hell hasn't the government or CDC banned vaping altogether under the guise of COVID-19 protection?

I mean if the virus attaches to bits of matter that are expelled in coughs and sneezes and not the air we exhale than all we really should have to do is cough and sneeze into our elbows and wash our hands like grown ass adults and not pick our noses or teeth with unwashed hands. It still to this day bemuses the piss out of me when I see grown adults cough or sneeze into their hands or worse just right out into the open.

I'm one of the a-holes who doesn't think wearing a mask is necessary, but I can totally get why the government and CDC, various health experts, and borderline hypochondriacs are really just wanting everyone to wear masks, because people in general are just nasty mfrs. I know we've all at some point in our lives been unfortunate to have that kind of person who spits when they talk, and those people who for whatever flippant reason can't seem to have the coordination to cover the mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.

Back to vaping though.

Vaping can produce a large amount of vapor. So, if someone was asymptomatic, and had a lung full of disease. That's a significant vector. I mean. That's a pretty significant mode of vehicle transmission.

That's just my short thoughts on the matter. Basically, I'm just surprised they haven't banned vaping. I mean hell they're fine attempting to scare us into staying inside and have people snitch on each other.

But then they open up bars where people sit or stand while getting loud with shouting and laughing and not covering their mouths and smoking and vaping, and spittle flying everywhere.

Lol ok.

I really think we'd all be fine if people could just cover their damn mouths and noses properly and wash their hands every now and then, and if people who were actually at risk of dying or having serious complications from the disease would stay home, work from home if possible, and use delivery services.

Because what is actually insane to me is that I'm considered an asshole because I wanted to continue going to work, I wanted to continue contributing to my community and patronizing my favorite businesses, and I'm told I'm an asshole because I won't stay home when I'm fine. But a person who knows they have an increased risk or of suffering from the disease wants to leave the house and venture forth having a panic attack every step of the way to do some "essential" shopping while making a big show of discomfort and making faces at everyone? That's crazy.

Do everyone a favor and either accept the risk or stay home, but please don't get pissy at other people who continue about things as normally as they can while you put yourself at risk. It's not everyone else's fault that for whatever reason your immune system is weakened or compromised or that you drew a bad lot at the genetics game.

That's just life man.

Alright rambling over.

(P.S. If the government makes a move to ban vaping in the near future my bad. Didn't mean to give em any ideas:devil

edit on 1972020 by AutomateThis1 because: Spelling and grammar

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I don't think vaping is an increased risk to the spread.

I don't think they can ban everyone from breathing. If they try that, please demand a demonstration.

Vaping should be used as a tool to show how exhaled breath can spread, much like smoke generators use in air flow studies.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Think of vaping as a visual representation of what happens when you breathe-your breath does the same as a vape cloud,the only difference is you cant see it.
If you have any airborne bug,vaping can illustrate how much your breath can potentially spread it in the environment.
If you vaped in say a train,or small room you know it fills the area fast-that is what your breath does as well.

So you can imagine what is happening on a train/shop/office full of people-everyone is breathing each others breath.

This is one of the reasons I was surprised it took so many countries so long to adopt face masks.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

It is hard to figure out what to believe anymore with this coronavirus

In China, smokers were 14 times more likely to develop severe cases of COVID-19 than those who did not smoke, according to a February study published in the Chinese Medical Journal , yet others claim that smoking makes it harder for the virus to attack the body of the host ?

nypost.com...

www.globaltimes.cn...

A mysterious lung injury outbreak in the US, which is claimed to be associated with e-cigarette, or vaping, has affected 2,807 people and caused 68 deaths as of February 18.

It has been named e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury, or EVALI. The outbreak saw a sharp increase in August 2019 and peaked in September 2019. EVALI patients have been declining, according to the CDC.

The EVALI and other respiratory viruses share similar symptoms, including shortness of breath, night sweats, low oxygen levels, and hazy spots on a lung X-ray, statnews.com reported, quoting experts, who mentioned the difficulty to "tease apart a bad flu case and a vaping case."

The symptoms also resemble those caused by the COVID-19.

And for the hardcore C/T fans here is a great article www.whatdoesitmean.com...

edit on 19/7/2020 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

The thing is that normally when a human exhales they breathe out for the most part the same thing as they breathe in albeit a little less oxygen and like trace amount of moisture which if memory serves me correctly is due to temperature differences mostly and moisture escaping from the inside. That moisture is how virus are able to spread through the air.

When vaping a person is exhaling quite a bit more moisture than in normal circumstances.

Dr. Benowitz

Well apparently there's not enough evidence to support a claim that exhaled vapor can spread the virus anymore so than normal breathing.

Apparently you actually have to cough or sneeze to spread it. Well, according to some doctor out in San Francisco.

'It is my understanding that exhaled e-cigarette vapor consists of very small particles of water, propylene glycol and glycerin and flavor chemicals, not droplets of saliva,' he said.

But immediately after that quote the article's author Vanessa Chalmers states:

Dr Benowitz's comments follow reports that inhaling secondhand vapour is a way of catching COVID-19.

Then, there is this quote from a microbiologist by the name of Tom McLean who says:

'We're all used to walking down the street now and it's one cloud followed by another cloud, followed by another cloud.

'Blowing vapour out is as good as someone spitting in your face.

'The vapour itself contains respiratory droplets including saliva, mucus and bacteria and when it's blown out, it travels for a long distance and hangs in the air at head height.

The article then goes on about doctors have talked about vaping may or may have contributed to more hospitalizations. Yada, yada, yada..

This source of propaganda is more current and states that the virus can indeed attach to smaller particles and that the smaller particles are more conducive to spread.

The WHO says...

The article above states that the WHO has until now maintained:

that the large respiratory droplets we produce when we breathe, talk, cough or sneeze are our number one enemy.

I guess not anymore. This same article states that the WHO says homemade masks only block a percentage of the smaller particles. Soooooo... yeah make of that what you will.

The article goes on to state:

But coronavirus can also spread by the much smaller aerosol particles we produce during exhalatory activities, such as when we cough or sing, and these can remain suspended in the air for hours and travel up to four metres.

And this from a Professor Raina Macintyre, a biosecurity expert from the University of New South Wales:

The original statement by the WHO that [COVID-19] is [only] spread by droplets and contact is not based on any evidence at all, they just pulled that out of a hat and said it, and then anyone who tried to say any differently was held to a different standard of proof.

edit on 1972020 by AutomateThis1 because: Wasn't done

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Well, there were a lot of surveys, but unfortunately no complete studies involving all possible inputs.

Yes, the smokers if they get the virus they seem to be more severe with a higher diseased rate. This put a strain on the health system.
But another survey finds that smokers are less prone to be infected. This makes smokers not needing healthcare because of the virus the opposite.

Even the WHO document (although anti smoking) is saying in their last sentence that there is no definite scientific proof that smoking is causing more infections.

They are busy with studies to see if nicotine is actually helping the receptors fighting the virus of and therefore a lesser change of infection.

The problem is in the wording in documents in the public domain misleading the people, and then you also get the people who knows better without proof using the opening lines of articles instead of reading it completely

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Enjoy your vaping

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

Oh, I will.

I'm actually a pretty considerate fellow.

I treat vaping like I treated smoking. I don't vape around others and I go outside to vape.

It's my "leave me alone" time.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Exhale your vape with a mask on and see how well that mask stops droplets. I'd be very interested in knowing since I don't smoke anymore and will never, ever vape. I hated what little nicotine I got from cigars as it was, vapes would put me under.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

www.dw.com...

A US government lab study confirmed that vitamin E acetate is likely behind a wave of vaping illnesses and deaths. Most of the cases involved black market marijuana vaping products.

So no people didn't die because of vaping but because of people where vaping marijuana juice with vitamine e (which is very bad for you lungs).

Also according to french researchers smokers were 80 percent less likely to catch COVID-19 than non-smokers of the same age and sex.
english.alarabiya.net...

Also it could be that with vaping you are even more protected against Corona:
www.churnmag.com...

As the world argues about the safety of electronic cigarettes, it’s clear that we need to place a greater emphasis on scientific research. Interestingly, there have been studies done prior to the birth of ecigs that give us a clue as to how vaping impacts the human body. A perfect example of this is a study conducted by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson of the University of Chicago’s Billings Hospital in 1942. Dr. Robertson studied how the inhalation of propylene glycol impacted laboratory mice.

Propylene glycol is one of the primary ingredients in e-liquid, but even before it was used to make electronic cigarettes, Dr. Robertson was testing its effects by inhalation. He suspected that this powerful ingredient could potentially be helpful for treating respiratory diseases, influenza, and even pneumonia.

To test his theory, he placed groups of mice into two chambers. In the first chamber, he sprayed the air with propylene glycol and then the flu virus. In the second chamber, he sprayed only the flu virus. Surprisingly, all of the mice in the chamber sprayed with propylene glycol survived, whereas the mice exposed only to the flu virus died.

Dr. Robertson concluded, “The propylene glycol itself was a potent germicide. One part of glycol in 2,000,000 parts of air would – within a few seconds – kill concentrations of air-suspended pneumococci, streptococci, and other bacteria numbering millions to the cubic foot.”

So what is this powerful substance known as propylene glycol? It is essentially a synthetic liquid that absorbs water. Today, we use PG in many cosmetic, food, and pharmaceutical products. It is also used in fog machines and even to generate smoke for fire fighter trainings. The FDA classifies PG as a food and drug additive that is “generally recognized as safe”. It is clear, colorless, and has no taste or odor.

Electronic cigarettes utilize propylene glycol in the e-liquid. When it heats up, it turns into a vapor that the smoker inhales. Looking back at Dr. Robertson’s study from 1942, we see that PG might offer benefits apart from just smoking cessation. It seems that PG could even help keep us healthy and protect against the spread of viruses like the flu.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn
Also according to french researchers smokers were 80 percent less likely to catch COVID-19 than non-smokers of the same age and sex.

Yeah, I'm sure the Chinese (extremely high rates of smokers) that died initially would verify that study.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

The study only says that smokers are less likely to get it but when they do get it most likely a higher risk of complications/worse outcome.

Also in China 80%! of the population smokes...
edit on 19-7-2020 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   

The study only says that smokers are less likely to get it but when they do get it most likely a higher risk of complications/worse outcome.

Also in China 80%! of the population smokes...

80??? I thought it was around 40. Maybe that's the US I was thinking of. Eighty percent??? That could be the way their government is trying to reduce their population.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=25310299]ICycle2[/post

www.youtube.com...

Interesting video with timelines

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
nicotine and PG are both antimicrobial and I have a hunch that it kills corona, so I think we are doing everyone a favor.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
nicotine and PG are both antimicrobial and I have a hunch that it kills corona, so I think we are doing everyone a favor.

They also act a surfactant, kind of like having a thin layer of soap on your lungs, which makes it hard for a virus to find a place to settle and infect.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

www.dw.com...

A US government lab study confirmed that vitamin E acetate is likely behind a wave of vaping illnesses and deaths. Most of the cases involved black market marijuana vaping products.

So no people didn't die because of vaping but because of people where vaping marijuana juice with vitamine e (which is very bad for you lungs).

english.alarabiya.net...

www.churnmag.com...

As the world argues about the safety of electronic cigarettes, it’s clear that we need to place a greater emphasis on scientific research. Interestingly, there have been studies done prior to the birth of ecigs that give us a clue as to how vaping impacts the human body. A perfect example of this is a study conducted by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson of the University of Chicago’s Billings Hospital in 1942. Dr. Robertson studied how the inhalation of propylene glycol impacted laboratory mice.

Propylene glycol is one of the primary ingredients in e-liquid, but even before it was used to make electronic cigarettes, Dr. Robertson was testing its effects by inhalation. He suspected that this powerful ingredient could potentially be helpful for treating respiratory diseases, influenza, and even pneumonia.

To test his theory, he placed groups of mice into two chambers. In the first chamber, he sprayed the air with propylene glycol and then the flu virus. In the second chamber, he sprayed only the flu virus. Surprisingly, all of the mice in the chamber sprayed with propylene glycol survived, whereas the mice exposed only to the flu virus died.

Dr. Robertson concluded, “The propylene glycol itself was a potent germicide. One part of glycol in 2,000,000 parts of air would – within a few seconds – kill concentrations of air-suspended pneumococci, streptococci, and other bacteria numbering millions to the cubic foot.”

So what is this powerful substance known as propylene glycol? It is essentially a synthetic liquid that absorbs water. Today, we use PG in many cosmetic, food, and pharmaceutical products. It is also used in fog machines and even to generate smoke for fire fighter trainings. The FDA classifies PG as a food and drug additive that is “generally recognized as safe”. It is clear, colorless, and has no taste or odor.

Electronic cigarettes utilize propylene glycol in the e-liquid. When it heats up, it turns into a vapor that the smoker inhales. Looking back at Dr. Robertson’s study from 1942, we see that PG might offer benefits apart from just smoking cessation. It seems that PG could even help keep us healthy and protect against the spread of viruses like the flu.

Thank you that was very enlightening.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

www.dw.com...

english.alarabiya.net...

www.churnmag.com...

Thank you that was very enlightening.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

An easy solution is to combine vaping with boofing, 'voofing'. Then you no longer exhale troublesome clouds of vapor.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Well, here's a picture.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join