It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native Americans are being erased by BLM and cancel culture

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I am an indian currently residing in indian territory.

1) we dont refer to ourselves as "native american". We call each other INDIAN. We eat INDIAN tacos, not "native american" tacos. We actually laugh when some says "native american" as its the quickest way to determine who is a tourist.

2) the term "redskin" is an honorable title we give to our warrior class. We would use red war paint in various configurations to signify rank or duty. Saying that the term is offensive is in itself...offensive.

3) stay out of whats left of our culture. Whats next? You going to change the name of our state "okla homa"?. That translated from our tongue means "red people" and its refering to the same warriors as the football team.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Ah, bigotry towards the Irish. Culturally acceptable acts the great AM has reminded us , it’s always ok to get a laugh at their expense. But the melanin!

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808
Ah, bigotry towards the Irish.

I never said I don't like the Irish. If it was the 1800's and I was a bar owner back then I'd let in dogs and Irish unlike the people who banned both.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: RelentlessLurkage
I am an indian currently residing in indian territory.

1) we dont refer to ourselves as "native american". We call each other INDIAN. We eat INDIAN tacos, not "native american" tacos. We actually laugh when some says "native american" as its the quickest way to determine who is a tourist.

2) the term "redskin" is an honorable title we give to our warrior class. We would use red war paint in various configurations to signify rank or duty. Saying that the term is offensive is in itself...offensive.

3) stay out of whats left of our culture. Whats next? You going to change the name of our state "okla homa"?. That translated from our tongue means "red people" and its refering to the same warriors as the football team.

I have always felt sports team names that reference Indians or Indian cultural themes as honorary in nature. I have witnessed this slow erosion of such team names creep across the entire landscape of sports. It depresses me, not only because long-standing traditions (mascots) from my younger days are being taken away, but it feels like these appellations were intended to call attention to the attributes of Indian Braves in past times (courage, fierce fighters, not quitting even if victory was out of reach) and in some way translate those characteristics from field of battle to field of competitive athletics.

I do know that there are members from some tribes that don't feel the same way as you do, that complain about team names referring to Indians. Outside of MSM news stories, in speaking with people, though, it's my experience that those against Indian-derived team names constitute a vocal minority.

It's been a very tough and unforgiving road to where we're at today in the US when it comes to how Indians have fared, and how they have been treated historically, in this country, and sadly Indians have been given the short shrift in everything from land ownership and use, jobs, proportion of social problems like poverty and addiction. I have met Indians both near where I grew up in rural New York (traditionally home to the Iroquois people), and in my travels throughout the country. It's been my experience that many Indians want to move past the dark days from the past, and carve out a new path, and a new niche, of being just regular US citizens without fuss or fanfare, but keeping in touch and recognizing/honoring their many traditions and customs from the old times.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   
so your mad at racist stereotypes and fake history lol

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Rob808
Ah, bigotry towards the Irish.

I never said I don't like the Irish. If it was the 1800's and I was a bar owner back then I'd let in dogs and Irish unlike the people who banned both.

Just no Germans.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 09:59 PM
link   
People born in Brazil are Americans also.
Many tribes still exist and are not traditional "Native Americans" as taught in US history.
edit on 7/21/2020 by staple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 03:34 AM
link   
All the streets and towns in California are Spanish, cancel white Gavin.

I dont really concern myself with the natives, china was here first according to them.
edit on 22-7-2020 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Just no Germans.

No, they're always the trouble makers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join