It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native Americans are being erased by BLM and cancel culture

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   
1). No more “Indian Princess” on the “Land O’ Lakes” butter logo

2). Not only the team name of the Washington Redskins is being retired, but the logo is, too

3). Columbus is being erased, and with him, the entire Taino people of the Caribbean.

I totally get it that people feel these ethnic logos and references have got to go. But the net effect is that we can still celebrate WHITE ethno-warriors like the Minnesota VIKINGS, the Boston CELTICS and the New York KNICKERBOCKERS”.

The space dedicated to Native Americans in High School history books was already negligible. Now, they are about to be literally erased from history. The native Americans in particular, because most whites hold them in positive regard—more so than they admire black culture. But this will become true for all ethnicities as blacks BLM evangelists try to make themselves the “pre-eminent American minority” before they are numerically surpassed by Hispanics in the next election cycle.

We have already gone from white kids no longer playing “cowboys and Indians,” to average white children believing that native Americans are already extinct.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

What a twist!!!!🤯

...and I thought it was black and white thing!🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

ETA: BLM is despicable.

edit on 7/18/2020 by EternalShadow because: ETA

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   

You would think Native American's would have, at least, their own Month by now.

Oh wait...they do.

www.bia.gov...#:~:text=On%20October%2031%2C%20President%20Trump,and%20character%20of%20our%20Nation.

Thanks Trump.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I was born here, pretty sure I'm "Native American".
I'm not feeling I'm, "being eraced".

Are you talking about the indigenous people that lived here before my ancestors pushed them out? Like when their ancestors pushed out other indigenous people, before they became "native"?..

Honestly people. We have to stop with this word game crap. Any person, regardless of "color or culture" that was born in America? Is a "Native American". That's a fact!

It's like those government forms,..."Are you? 1.White. 2. Black. 3. Hispanic. 4. "Native American".

I always wondered about the "legal" wording. Because one and two are a "race".
Three? Is a mix of, 4., 2., and 3. Or all. Spanish is generally a "white" thing. Not saying there ain't no black Moors that aren't "Native of Spain"...just saying.

But "Native American" is a "nationality". Regardless of "culture".

These "cultures" need to get over the petty party. There's not a "race" or "culture" on earth, that hasn't been beaten in battle, pushed from the "homeland", subjugated or made to adapt.

That said. BLM and cancel culture is a threat to 1. 2. 3. And 4.
Remember, you heard it here first!

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   
They didn't even know they were "Native Americans"
till somebody told them.
I wouldn't get to bent about it.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Redskins is considered a derogatory racial slur toward Native American Indians. Can't call them Indians because they're not from India, nor the West Indies. They were referred to as Indians to begin with due to a similarity in appearance to people from India I guess, and because Columbus thought America was India when he "discovered" it.

The Chieftans, Braves, Warriors, etc might have been okay. In fact, Warriors was one of the possible name changes they were looking at, although it might end up being something lame like Redwolves, an endangered wolf species.

The Kansas City Chiefs aren't receiving the same amount of backlash over their name, even though their symbol is the arrowhead and they have Native American themes throughout like headresses. Ironically, they got their name from the nickname of the mayor who got an NFL team for the city which was the Chief.

The Florida State Seminoles etc don't have the same problem either. So, comparing it to Vikings isn't very accurate. If there were a derogatory name for a group of ethnic whites, say the Micks? I don't know, I'm reaching here, that wouldn't be acceptable either. A team named the Zulus would be okay, whereas being named the Blacks or the Savages with a mascot that has a bone piercing in his septum definitely wouldn't fly.

Edit: The problem with the Redskins name has been going on long before BLM popped back up on the radar because of the George Floyd murder and before "cancel culture" as it's called gained any recent traction from the social climate. I've been hearing about this for years as I live in Virginia. Virginia doesn't have a team so Washington was always defacto.
edit on 19-7-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I am only a small part Cherokee this is my humble thoughts. Most Native Americans, In one way or another refer to themselves as the people. They will be around long after BLM is lost in the dust. Below is a a tiny insight into how we think about ourselves.

www.cherokeephoenix.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   
So a controversial team name and columbus day (who killed natives,) is going to erase native Americans??

O please...

If you want more native American symbol's in mainstream culture then advocate for positive representation that replaces the redskins name and replace Columbus day with a positive native American figure.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Blm and cancel culture definitely have negatives. But they also have some positives. Protesters worldwide are using blm to highlight police brutality to try and force a change in the policing system.

Cancel culture can go too far, but it is also getting us to look at and examine our ideals, heroes, and morals.

It's like the #metoo movement. That pointed out alot of sexual abuse but also im sure some used it to make false accusations.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

There is no such thing as " Native American Indians "

The name " America " was given by Europeans. The Native Indians where there long before Europeans arrived on the continent. The " Natives " are of their tribes. i.e Native Cherokee, Native Sioux etc.

So lets get rid of this " Native American Indians " rubbish title.

edit on 19-7-2020 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar
2). Not only the team name of the Washington Redskins is being retired, but the logo is, too

Oh my God! The horror!

I think civilization is over now that a sports team changed its name again.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: murphy22

Blm and cancel culture definitely have negatives. But they also have some positives. Protesters worldwide are using blm to highlight police brutality to try and force a change in the policing system.

Cancel culture can go too far, but it is also getting us to look at and examine our ideals, heroes, and morals.

It's like the #metoo movement. That pointed out alot of sexual abuse but also im sure some used it to make false accusations.

As Princeton professors pointed out it is time to cancel the name of the Democratic Party. This is a positive of the cancel culture.

They pointed out the party was pro-slavery through the civil war, the party was steeped in the KKK through the 1950's, the party was pro-segregation through the 1960's, the party was anti-bussing and school desegregation through the early 1970's. Since the cancel culture demands that anyone and anything that held these stances must be cancelled and removed entirely from our culture and any positive references to it removed from the culture. They say the Democratic Party must cancel it's name and take a new name to divorce itself from it's anti-black history.

I can understand why BLM want's to erase all other minorities because as Nick Cannon and a founder of the BLM say they are the superior race from which all others descended, making the black race the superior race.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
If there were a derogatory name for a group of ethnic whites, say the Micks?

Notre Dame's Fighting Irish name always reminds me of this:

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The choice of the name Washington Redskins or Kansas City chiefs. Was intended to honor the native Americans fighting spirit against overwhelming odds .

As usual the left has everything wrong .

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
The choice of the name Washington Redskins or Kansas City chiefs. Was intended to honor the native Americans fighting spirit against overwhelming odds .

Stop making things up:

“The fact that we have in our head coach, Lone Star Dietz, an Indian, together with several Indian players, has not, as may be suspected, inspired me to select the name Redskins.” Instead, Marshall explains, he gave up “Braves” to avoid confusion with a Boston professional baseball team of the same name. July 6, 1933, Hartford Courant

edit on 19-7-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Double punch for the Chicago Blackhawks 😃

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Lol

It’s still the warrior culture .

Case in point.

Why don’t any of the teams called theirselves the French .

edit on 19-7-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
It’s still the warrior culture .

I'll take the guy who owned the team's word on it over yours.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
The Florida State Seminoles etc don't have the same problem either.

Being from FL and having heard this debate go on for entirely too many years and it being mostly spurred by busybody pieces of s# why don't listen to the Natives to begin with-- they're (Seminole tribe) not being pressured to pressure for cancelling as of yet because they effectively publicly told the SJW wuss-asses to STFU, piss off, and mind their business a LONG time ago & have stuck with the stance staunchly.

Don't f# with the Seminoles' depiction in sports, they LOVE the segway to tribe awareness/attention there. The last time someone tried to get rid of the warriors' game opening? People learned real quick to shut up.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Show me anywhere in the owners words where where it didn’t reflect on their bravery and fighting spirit.

I’ll wait

They do the same thing in the military

The 45th infantry brigade is the Thunderbirds

The 36th infantry is the arrowhead division .

There are many other examples in warrior culture .

That’s the problem with you liberals you never see the big picture .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join