It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Confederate States did not fight for the continuation of Slavery

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
The old South, was dominated by Democrats.

Democrats fought to continue slavery.

Democrats fought tooth and nail, against Civil Rights.

Is it any wonder, that Democrats still encourage racial division?

You do realize those 'Democrats' now consider themselves Republicans?

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

You realize, that's complete BS?

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This is one of the most interesting and informative threads I've read in some time.Thanks to all for the different opinions,links and "heated" dialogue.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

You do realize there is absolutely no evidence indicating that is true?

Even if you overlook recent history (Biden's series of racist remarks, just for starters), there are dozens of examples spanning from the 70's all the way back to the 1860's showing no sort of magical transformative "party switching" happened.

FYI, the 60's and 70's were not that long ago! Most of us are still alive

By all means, if you can support the claim you made feel free to do so. Otherwise, I'll let history be the judge.
edit on 7/24/2020 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
First it was states rights. Second thing I can't stand when blacks don't know their own history. i know more about black history than any brother i know. They won't let go of this "my people have been slaves "fo hundrid years!" The first 20 slaves sold by black African Muslims to the Jewish slave brokers came here by horrible treatment of slave ships in 1619. Slavery ended in 1865. It was absolutely terrible and wrong to enslave anyone. But they were slaves for 246 years. America was not unique having slaves. Every country and every culture have had slavery at one time or another. Not all black people are decendant of slaves in America. No white person today condone slavery and think it was acceptable. I wasn't involved. Its like blaming a random black guy for somone in 1800 that did a bank robbery. He had nothing to do with it. Now black folks were promised 40 acres and a mule. The got nothing. Are reparations going to satisfy the anger and hatred that exists today against whites for slavery 150 years ago? I don't know but something needs to be done to recognize their work for this nation that they did unpaid and not appreciated. For people who endured 2d class citizenship until around 1970. Its just my opinion and I don't know everything that is involved. I continue to 🙏 pray for peace and healing of America.

posted on Jul, 25 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   
" The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. "...

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

From the "Cornerstone Speech" By Alexander H. Stephens (soon to be elected VP of the CSA), March 21, 1861.

Speech

posted on Jul, 25 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   
avalon.law.yale.edu...

Article 1, Section 9, 1
Prohibits the importation of slaves, also prohibits any future laws that would infringe on the property rights of slave owners.

posted on Jul, 25 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Regnor

That was just about the time that The Czar got around to stopping Serfdom in Russia, as it modernized. The same time that Gypsies were no longer included in the bills of sale for land. It was a dying concept because mechanization made slavery uneconomical .If they were considered property that needed to be fed clothed and housed, they incurred as much cost as non productive family members. It would be far better to give the labor subsistent wages and let them fend for themselves. Which is what happened, because whatever rhetoric was used, slavery compared to a combine harvester was a non argument.
Added to that in the post slave era, convincing the Negro , that he was not capable of competing in the New post slavery world , and had to put up with what they were offered was as much about making the poor whites think they were superior and maintaining as much the same political structure as possible.
edit on 25-7-2020 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Sure it was a military measure. Don't disagree.

But if we look at the passing of the 13th amendment. It would sure seem that, in the end, the government was intent upon abolishing slavery.
In the end people were intent upon ending slavery, a notion that the south began working on well before the end of the civil war. The slave trade was becoming uneconomical for the south with new technology. The union didn't care about abolishing slavery except in that they wanted votes. The abolitionist movement became too strong for them to ignore.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Then why mention it in the declarations?

If it was going away why would they even bring it up? That makes no sense.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

To which declarations are you referring?

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

The Confederate constitution I linked to above for one..

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Regnor
" The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. "...

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

From the "Cornerstone Speech" By Alexander H. Stephens (soon to be elected VP of the CSA), March 21, 1861.

Speech

I love how this just gets completely ignored because not only does it prove the Civil War was about slavery, it proves the entire Confederacy was founded on the complete rejection of the foundational ideal upon which America was built: All men are created equal. Therefore, the Confederacy stands for everything America is against and the people defending its flag and statues hate America because of that ideal.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join