It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Morning After was a nuclear war film ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hi ATS'ers, this is a bit of a strange one for me so I will just go straight ahead and say what is on my mind.

I have seen some posts on sites lately relating to an American movie called "The day after" and it rung a bell for me, but absolutely not how I expected it to. For some reason I recall a British film, set in the North East, Newcastle or Sunderland or similar, where a nuclear attack happened, it was made in the 1980's and was a bit of a classic.

Now I can't find it. Does anybody remember this BBC drama? I could swear it was the BBC but possibly ITV, but I can find no reference to it now.

I just want to know the title I clearly have remembered wrong, I tried morning after, day after, next day etc...

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

It was called "Threads". Set in Sheffield.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I remember watching it as a kid and it scared the crap out me.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Fun for the whole family

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: witchfinder

Thanks, was it always called threads? I could swear the day after or the morning after was the title. My bad I guess.

Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I think I may remember it and it was BBC if I remember, you are going back quite a way's and likely won't find this program anywhere but there is one chance.
www.bbc.co.uk...

There were a few other post apocalyptic show's as well but those were quite different, Quatermass etc.
This site may be worth trawling through as well, sorry I only found it searching for the Tripod's and so that is the page I will direct you to but they have a lot more than that show.
archive.org...

I should have looked down your thread, Look's very much as if Spacespider found it.

edit on 18-7-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Oh.. I guess there is one called "the day after"

edit on 18-7-2020 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I just saw a thumbnail for it on Amazon Prime. I remember watching the American version as a teen. Pretty freaky in the 80’s, it seemed like nuclear war with Russia was gonna happen any day back then.
It was WAY more exciting than today.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

This will bring back some memories, BBC government information film that used to be shown late at night on the BBC.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

It very nearly did, back in the 80's tension was even higher at time's than during the Cuban Missile crisis but more covert in it's nature.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I found a low quality copy on youtube. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider
Thats the movie I watched. I had to lol when the farmers at the end were like "how are we going to take off four inches of topsoil from hundreds of acres of farmland" or some # like that. It was mildly amusing in the context of the local leader who was reading that statement off to them.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I saw The day after at the movies when I was little, scared the crap out of me. I used to get repetitive nightmares about a nuclear blast. There was a lot of nuclear free New Zealand and Pacific protests happening around the time and and I clearly remember going on the protests as a child, along with anti Spring Bok tour protests.
I think I have watched Threads also.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Threads is a copy of a 1966 BBC production caleed "The War Game."
Its more of less a shot for shot remake,except IIRC they changed which cities got hit.

The War Game is a fictional, worst-case-scenario docu-drama about nuclear war and its aftermath in and around a typical English city. Although it won an Oscar for Best Documentary, it is fiction. It was intended as an hour-long program to air on BBC 1, but it was deemed too intense and violent to broadcast.

www.imdb.com...

I suspect it was not aired on TV as it was the height of the cold war,and the government didn't want the BBC to cause a panic if people got a more realistic view of a nuclear exchange.

Threads is kinda burned into my brain because they made us watch it in school in the 80's when I was about 9or10 years old,and it just happened that I was coming down with a bad dose of the flu that very day.
so for the next few nights in between puking,I had super disturbing fever hallucinations/nightmares about a nuke war happening,and getting buried in my house which collapsed on me.
I was convinced it was real,and was cursing that I was so unlucky to get the flu just as the bombs went off.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

archive.org...

I don't post here, lurk yes. Anyhoo... Threads BBC
Enjoy

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Quatermass!

I friggin love those movies.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I've never watched it (The Day After) but I did today because it was too friggin' hot to do anything else. Not a bad movie but it really suffers from the early 80s production and writing ills.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I think my personal favourite was the classic Quatermass and the Pit movie adaptation.
It could really do with being made up to modern standards but even old it is still a good watch.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
When then president Reagan watched The Day After movie it freeaked him out enough to begin the arms limitation talks with the Russians, very powerful movie.
The scene where the doc is laying down in the front seat of his car as the bombs go off was terrifying, a scene that replayed in ny dreams for years to come(except it was me in the car), i see the mushroom cloud, knowing that when i count to three the firestorm will engulf me.
Traumatic for a 12y/o!
For years after i dreaded going to the city(Sydney)in case WW3 started while i was there, lol.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

1984 or 83 I think it was when one summer Sunday morning, an unnaturally quiet day even for a Sunday back then when almost no one worked on Sundays and shop's were closed when as I walked home from my friend's house I heard the Nuclear warning sirens sound, it was probably just a test but it terrified me really badly, I was just a kid and just wanted to get back to my mum but knew that if it was really a nuclear warning then I would never make it so started to pray as I walked.

It was a surreal experience the sirens wailed for ages, even as I walked back through the council housing estate were I lived there was no one about until I was more or less back home when I saw a person in the street, then another and then more of them and when I mentioned the siren's (which had stopped only just before I got home) no one else it seems had heard them, to this day I wonder if perhaps we sometimes walk between reality's, if in some other reality the bomb's actually fell and if so if we would even know it since death would have been instantaneous being in the heart of an industrialized new town that was a likely prime target for soviet attack.

Down in Australia you may have been hit but it is more likely that the Soviet's would have concentrated there fire on closer Nato targets and left you and NZ alone, then again they may have gone the whole hock and blasted everyone they could even China whom they were somewhat belligerent with and whom were pointing there own Nukes at the Soviet Union since despite being commies they were on friendly term's with the US after a small war with Russia in which the Chinese had won decisively though it was only a small war between these two when Stalin made the mistake of thinking his Chinese equal number was under his own control when in fact Mao had his own idea's and did not like Stalin very much at all (not much between them other than that you could not put the two of them into a room together they were both tyrant's and both a bit mad and both mass murderers with the purges perhaps being slightly less bad than the cultural revolution was as far as death numbers were concerned but both running into the millions).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join