It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we have to cancel Columbus........

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

FFS, get off your #ing high horse every once in a while and come and join us mortals.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
Go tell someone else what to do.
For someone who values individuality and freedom you are bossy.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:20 AM
link   
For me these matters come down to an old saying.

Those who forget history, are doomed to repeat it.

Sure, we shouldn't celebrate assholes. But we shouldn't be 'burning books' either, simply because we don't like the things that happened before most, if not all of us, were born. Those terrible acts are part of what got us to where we are today.
Instead of forgetting them, how about we remember them so we can attempt to keep trying to learn from them.

Any way, I wasn't alive 200 years ago. I never enslaved or intentionally harmed anyone. I will not and never will be made to apologize for something some person I never associated with did.
I, like everyone else, am responsible for my own actions.

I mean I've never looted a store or beat a person to death because some Germans bombed my grandparents 80 years ago, or some Romans enslaved my ancestors 2000 years ago.

Modern life in a nut shell. It's all a blame game so people can get something for nothing. Bringing back personal responsibility and common sense would do more for a society than knocking down statues of long dead men and women.

But humans, much easier to do stupid than smart from what I've seen for most of them.
Pretty pathetic and sad if you ask me.

Walk into the future, cos I am tired of everyone else keeping me stuck in the past.
edit on 20-7-2020 by AtomicKangaroo because: reasons

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Not bossy....just have no time for sanctimonious, self-righteous do-gooders who's world viewpoint is clouded by bigotry and ignorance.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
What did the Romans ever do for us?

Bath, you dirty dogs.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

just to be clear, nothing I wrote or thought was meant to disparage the British or any other group. I was just using examples of historical fact. I want nothing canceled, nothing removed, and nothing changed to accommodate anyone's damaged feelz.

it does make me wonder, if we can all realize how horrible it was to blame the Japanese Americans just after Pearl harbor, when we put them into camps, why is it not OK to realize that blaming today's white population for the slavery of 4 to 5 generations ago is along the same lines?

Or is that not a valid comparison?

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I want nothing canceled, nothing removed, and nothing changed to accommodate anyone's damaged feelz.

Why do you take our reckoning with our past so personally? Why are your feelz damaged by this? Why should you be accommodated?

Do you see the removal of a statue as being the same thing as being unfairly put into camps?

Are the Japanese Americans right to still be angry about this injustice?

Should the rest of we Americans not be angry, and just let it all go because we're not Japanese?

Should we feel good about honoring people from the past that did horrible things?

Will network dude answer any of these questions?

edit on 7/20/2020 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Perhaps the never ending nature of cancel culture is part of the point? You’ll never run out of things to point fingers at and fail “purity” tests. Give the people fuel for their fire.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   

One of my favorite bits ever

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

I want nothing canceled, nothing removed, and nothing changed to accommodate anyone's damaged feelz.

Why do you take our reckoning with our past so personally? Why are your feelz damaged by this? Why should you be accommodated?

Do you see the removal of a statue as being the same thing as being unfairly put into camps?

Should the rest of we Americans not be angry, and just let it all go because we're not Japanese?

Should we feel good about honoring people from the past that did horrible things?

I'll explain it like I would to a 4 year old.
If you feel a statue has offended you to the point it MUST be removed. I will not stand in the way of you making the proper petitions, gathering signatures, and going through the proper channels our nation has set up to fix things like offending bits of artwork. What offends you may not offend me, and I get that. Some folks are a bit stronger willed than others.

But if you feel that gathering in the dead of night, with 12 of your idiot friends, tying some rope around the statue, and pulling it to the ground is A, OK, you are an idiot and I oppose you for being a lawless #tard.

I hope that helps clarify your obvious confusion.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I knew you wouldn't be up to answering my questions

:-)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I knew you wouldn't be up to answering my questions

LOL, and I knew you wouldn't understand the answer.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

It wasn't an answer - it was a dodge

Toodles dude

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Sigh, if it pleases you, I'll answer each one independently, so as not to confuse.
I understand that nobody in the past is an angel. And when making the omlet, eggs were indeed broken. And I personally feel that removing the visual reminders of the past removes them from discussion that would have otherwise happened. I see disucssion and learning as a good thing. You obviously don't.

No, in fact, if you read the OP, I mentioned that.

Does any of that sound familiar? Does it sound anything at all like trying to reprimand all White people for slavery? No, we haven't been put into camps. Yet. Sadly, at the rate we are going the SJW's would volunteer to the rest of us to go to camps, and the MSM would champion that cause, and make the rest feel guilty for not locking themselves away.

I know I would. But then, after a few generations, I think it would be less of a deciding factor. But I am not them, and cannot answer for them.

Perhaps you, the rest of SJW America should at the very least, ask them how they feel before you tell everyone else how angry they are. Or were you in a camp?

show me someone from the past who did't do horrible things, then we can look deeper into that.

apparently, yes.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I knew graphics would help

I see disucssion and learning as a good thing. You obviously don't.

But now at last we are discussing, and maybe even learning. So, you were obviously wrong about that

You don't actually know how I feel about the statues, so you're wrong to assume. Cancel culture is wrong - always? Was it wrong to cancel slavery?

No, in fact, if you read the OP, I mentioned that.

You mentioned how wrong it was to put the Japanese into camps. My question isn't about that. My question was: Is it on the same level? Would the Japanese be wrong to be angry about statues honoring the people that forced them into camps? Is one thing more wrong than the other?

Do we need the statues in order to remember how wrong it was?

Perhaps you, the rest of SJW America should at the very least, ask them how they feel before you tell everyone else how angry they are. Or were you in a camp?

BLM, and other minorities are definitely saying out loud and up front that they are unhappy with the way things are. There have (very obviously) been many Japanese Americans that have spoken out about that particular injustice. I don't need to ask them about it, and neither do you. This is a deflection

show me someone from the past who did't do horrible things, then we can look deeper into that.

Well then, if you're tired, we can let this go

apparently, yes.

Not quite - but thank you for trying

It's funny. In the old days - people who wrote threads used to at least be up for a real argument. Even if it got ugly

See ya Network

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

You mentioned how wrong it was to put the Japanese into camps. My question isn't about that. My question was: Is it on the same level? Would the Japanese be wrong to be angry about statues honoring the people that forced them into camps? Is one thing more wrong than the other?

Do we need the statues in order to remember how wrong it was?

Are there any statues for that purpose? If so, show me, and I will make a decision based on facts not feelz, if that's cool and all.

BLM, and other minorities are definitely saying out loud and up front that they are unhappy with the way things are. There have (very obviously) been many Japanese Americans that have spoken out about that particular injustice. I don't need to ask them about it, and neither do you. This is a deflection

BLM have said "we don't want no mo police!". Is that your position? I have to ask, as a whole heard of SJW's burst onto the scene to explain that wasn't at all what BLM wanted, when in fact, that is EXACTLY what they said. SO my point there is that I'd prefer to hear straight from the source to fully understand who's upset and why. I know there are multitudes of militant SJW's out there looking for someone who might be offended, but they will have to find someone else to preach to.

But I am confused. you are a fan of cancel culture, or you are against it? You seem to dance well to avoid answering some things, apparently I need to be super direct.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Are there any statues for that purpose? If so, show me, and I will make a decision based on facts not feelz, if that's cool and all.

There don't need to be any for you to understand what I'm asking

Are the statues more important than the crimes they're honoring?

Please do let me know what your decision is

BLM have said "we don't want no mo police!". Is that your position? I have to ask, as a whole heard of SJW's burst onto the scene to explain that wasn't at all what BLM wanted, when in fact, that is EXACTLY what they said. SO my point there is that I'd prefer to hear straight from the source to fully understand who's upset and why. I know there are multitudes of militant SJW's out there looking for someone who might be offended, but they will have to find someone else to preach to.

You seem to be very focused on the SJWs. It's almost as if you believe white people or people concerned about civil rights shouldn't be involved - or that their only real goal is to drive you nuts. Their feelsz is a thing you meme - and often. Is it because you believe the only feelz that matter are yours?

Every group has said different things. Some believe that the police don't need as much funding as they receive, that they should focus less on the paramilitary end of it and go back to neighborhood policing, and then give some of that budget over to the community for programs that can help from a different angle than just law enforcement

Some want to do away with the police. I don't know what you want me to tell you - it's not simple. Not everyone has the same understanding of the situation or the same desires - or demands. Pretty much like every corner of society and our government today

But I am confused. you are a fan of cancel culture, or you are against it? You seem to dance well to avoid answering some things, apparently I need to be super direct.

Are you? It just depends Network

I would have preferred that much of this had been discussed and agreed on by the communities involved. I understand why it didn't play out that way. My understanding what's happening helps me accept it for what it is

I think in a way the angry mob has always been with us and always will be. It's ugly - the only way to avoid the ugliness is to give people a say and to actually listen to them. Listen with the intention of hearing them, not just temporarily placating them

I also believe that nothing is sacred, and that true democracy is a natural phenomenon. Cause - and effect

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foreshadow
"Cancel Africa" has a nice ring to it eh?? lol, I'm curious to see how well that would go over.

"Cancel Egypt" -- Those Damn Pharaoh's I tell Ya.

"Cancel Israel" --- Yup

...and the list goes on

Yeah, sure why not. Africans were slaves traders. Egyptians were slave owners. Lets tear down the pyramids next since they were built by slaves.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhatalError

originally posted by: Foreshadow
"Cancel Africa" has a nice ring to it eh?? lol, I'm curious to see how well that would go over.

"Cancel Egypt" -- Those Damn Pharaoh's I tell Ya.

"Cancel Israel" --- Yup

...and the list goes on

Yeah, sure why not. Africans were slaves traders. Egyptians were slave owners. Lets tear down the pyramids next since they were built by slaves.

I wonder if you could tell me which confederate statue is your personal favorite?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join