It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Fire at Nantes Cathedral in France

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   

"The fire is not under control, it is advancing. It is a major fire," the emergency operations centre said, adding that crews were alerted just before 8am (0600 GMT) and that 60 firefighters had been dispatched.
link

Just last year the devastating fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Now this! 2020 strikes again...

I hope they can save the Cathedral.

Nantes is the eighth largest city in France.
edit on 18-7-2020 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Or are they destroying evidence? Buildings can be rebuilt.
edit on 18-7-2020 by kwakakev because: spelling

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 03:22 AM
link   
How curious.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Not the most flammable thing in the world..
What are the flames catching on to ?

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

There will be a criminal investigation - fire started in several spots simultaneously.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Video from the scene although in the picture you posted the fire seems more pronounced.

Hopefully that's because firefighters now have the blaze under control and not because the video is from earlier , it's sad to see history burn.

edit on 18-7-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:51 AM
link   
It has been confirmed that arson is suspected as investigations continue.

A fire at the cathedral in the French city of Nantes is believed to have been started deliberately, prosecutors say.

Three fires were started at the site and an investigation into suspected arson is under way, Prosecutor Pierre Sennes said.

The blaze destroyed stained glass windows and the grand organ at the Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul cathedral, which dates from the 15th Century.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Statues aren't enough? Seems to me we've been warned about this for a long time.

Realizing that individual world governments can't get keep things running peacefully and have civil unrest under control, a one world government is at very least a cultural, if not literal, extinction level event.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Damn not another one.
I am not religious in the conventional sense but I love the architecture and history in old churches and cathedrals.
Many of the bigger cathedrals took generations to build.

History(good or bad) should be kept intact IMO-or as someone famous once said,we will be doomed to repeat it.
Which is what we seem to be doing these days.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
It has been confirmed that arson is suspected as investigations continue.

A fire at the cathedral in the French city of Nantes is believed to have been started deliberately, prosecutors say.

Three fires were started at the site and an investigation into suspected arson is under way, Prosecutor Pierre Sennes said.

The blaze destroyed stained glass windows and the grand organ at the Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul cathedral, which dates from the 15th Century.
www.bbc.co.uk...

First thing to enter my mind as soon as I read the title.
edit on 2020-07-18T11:26:14-05:00Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:26:14 -05002020ppAmerica/ChicagoSat, 18 Jul 2020 11:26:14 -0500 by Cropper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Not the most flammable thing in the world..
What are the flames catching on to ?

A lot of those stone buildings have wood frameworks inside.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   

That arson must be the work of those evil conservatives.
Or those evil Christians.....

/sarc off

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

If they were doing renovations like Note Dame then the aluminum (scaffolds) makes good, hot fuel.

Most of the high rise fires have aluminum at the heart of the cause.

PS - Mostly for Spacesider’s question!

ETA - Shame about building burning. A very recognizable landmark.

edit on 18-7-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity

edit on 18-7-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Address thread @OP

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
A Rwandan refugee who was a volunteer at the Cathedral has been detained for questioning in connection with the fire , it's reported that he was in charge of locking up the day before the fire although prosecutors have said conclusions shouldn't be drawn.

Prosecutors said they wanted to clear up inconsistencies and that it would be "premature" to think he had a role.

"We must remain careful as to the interpretation of this police custody. It's a normal procedure," public prosecutor Pierres Sennès said. The volunteer has not been named.

Jean-Charles Nowak, a clerk at the cathedral, told French newspaper Le Figaro the volunteer was "a man of duty" who has health problems and "suffered a lot in Rwanda" - a country he left several years ago. The refugee had been discussing extending his visa with local officials, he said.

"I don't believe for a second that he could have set the cathedral on fire. It's a place he adores," Mr Nowak said.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 03:14 AM
link   
The Rwandan refugee who was detained for questioning in connection with the fire has now been rearrested after admitting starting the blaze , his layer has told a newspaper that his client "bitterly regrets" his actions.

Yeah , I'm sure he does.

Le Monde said the man had been been questioned again on Saturday and that prosecutors had placed him in custody.

Prosecutor Pierre Sennès said that the suspect now admitted being responsible for the fire, according to Le Monde. Officials had previously said that the fire was believed to have been arson and had been started in three different places.

The man's lawyer, Quentin Chabert, was quoted by Ocean Presse as saying that his client regretted his actions, adding: "My client co-operated."
www.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

join