It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never More Relevant Than Now

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   
m.youtube.com...

Hope this link works

Edward Bernays, nephew of Sigmund Freud, will lay it all out for you.

Some golden insights every honest, confused person needs to hear. The opening quote alone is a gem.

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in Democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind, who harness old social forces and contrive new ways to bind and guide the world" -Edward Bernays from the book Propaganda.

And this is nothing new folks. It's been this way before any of us were even born.

That Bernays sure must be a crazy trump supporter with his crackpot theories eh? (sarcasm)
edit on 18-7-2020 by SuicideKing33 because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SuicideKing33

Any alternative to a democratic society offered?

Anarchy is better? Dictatorship?

His best-known campaigns include a 1929 effort to promote female smoking by branding cigarettes as feminist "Torches of Freedom" and his work for the United Fruit Company connected with the CIA-orchestrated overthrow of the democratically elected Guatemalan government in 1954. He worked for dozens of major American corporations including Procter & Gamble and General Electric, and for government agencies, politicians, and non-profit organizations.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 7/17/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'm not sure of your point. I'm not saying he's a good guy. I'm saying listen to the message. Do you think it relates to America today?

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I'm not sure of your point.

A "democratic society" is not perfect. But it beats the alternatives as far as I can tell.

What's yours?

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuicideKing33

And this is nothing new folks. It's been this way before any of us were even born.

That Bernays sure must be a crazy trump supporter with his crackpot theories eh?

Right now the woke white elitists are driving the narrative for the left and much of what is going on... They are yelling at everyone including blacks in their frenzy and Biden is just bending over ready to take it too.

edit on 17-7-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   

See the OP, genius. It's about an unseen mechanism controlling our thoughts, habits and reality as a whole. Not about what government is better. Your comments are completely irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Not about what government is better.
Bernays was quite specific. Was he not?

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I threw the trump bit in at the end because that's the go to defense of a lot of people when you try and tell them this stuff. Obviously not possible as it was dang near 100 years ago.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuicideKing33

See the OP, genius. It's about an unseen mechanism controlling our thoughts, habits and reality as a whole. Not about what government is better. Your comments are completely irrelevant.

Can you put a name to them? Trump calls them the deep state as in those who done nothing for decades but lousy politics and the bureaucrats not voted into office that feel it is up to them to run things and are there for decades too.

The whole administration/FBI/DOJ Russia collusion was really deep....

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I bet he liked strawberry ice cream too!

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Is that a product he sold?

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Strawberry ice cream is good.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Why even comment? You didn't watch the video, posting 2 minutes after the thread was up, and about nothing related to the OP. Isn't that against frowned on here?

I still don't know what your on about bud. Maybe watch the video, read some comments (very slowly, sound out the big words).

Maybe you'll get the gist.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   

whether in the sphere of politics or business,

I think this line is key to understanding just how deeply we are controlled. Politics or business?. I say, politics AND business.

Bernay's was primarily an ad man, called by some the father of modern advertising, his writings and insights foundational to modern day economic practices. A major shortsightedness of many today is focusing on how government and politics alone are manipulating the masses and not paying much if any attention at all to how business practices are at least equal to if not more insidious than those employed in the political sphere.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Did you want a discussion or did you want blind agreement?

I'm not saying that Phage isn't a pretentious bastard. Just saying that you need to address his points before you assume you know better.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Indeed. I think he meant both. Also "social conduct and ethical thinking".

Couldn't be more relevant.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

No, he could have watched the video and had something intelligent and relevant to say.

He accomplished neither.

What about you? Do you agree with Bernays? Is this in fact true of our society? Id say the last 4 months have left no doubt.

If you disagree by all means let's hear it. Just don't try to re frame it as "bernays was a bad guy" or "this government is better than that" that's completely beside the point.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   

You want to hear something weird?
I had no idea what the Union Flag looked like during the Civil War.
Funny, huh?
I guess we were all manipulated into thinking that the Confederate Battle Flag had more significance somehow.

So I looked it up.

The Winners

edit on 18-7-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   

When one group of people control almost 86% or more of all media it's not strings at that point. More like aircraft carrier ship mooring cables.

Just look how they report on guns. Daily in the US, good samaritins gun owners save lives killing murders and criminals. Left outlets will not report on it. White or black. If it is mentioned the races are even left out of the story.

Same for a Muslim terrorists. It will take days to get info on who did it. Picture of them even longer from what I have observed.

White man shoots a black man, specifically white cop and bam. Front page news with races right up front for all to seem. Next follows need new gun laws, better police, charge them with murder. Even if it's questionable.

Why people can't see this for what it is I have no explanation. I see it crystal clear.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I agree with him, to an extent. I would argue that most of this group identification is self-inflicted as opposed to purposefully manipulated. When it is a result of manipulation it's usually done with capitalist gains as motivation. I don't believe it's necessarily a 100% bad thing, either, particularly not in a democratic republic such as the USA. Depends on the motives of those in 'charge'.

Regardless, this type of thing is (naturally) pervasive in our world and, in my view, the biggest mistakes would be to -

1. See this as an issue affecting one side of the political spectrum

2. Assume that you yourself are immune.

Don't play into the group identification by calling yourself a non-sheep AKA Splitting yourself and the rest of humanity into sheep & non-sheep. You're almost assuredly more receptive to this 'programming' than you think.

EDIT: and thanks for the neat video, by the way.

edit on 18-7-2020 by bigsnowman because: give thanks to your fellow man. show gratitude!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join