It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some helpful Mask information

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I was commenting on another thread and ran across an article from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) that I quoted. Thought the information was good enough to post on it's own.

I learned something really important about masks with valves:

However, both Rutherford and Chin-Hong cautioned against N95 masks with valves (commonly used in construction to prevent the inhalation of dust) because they do not protect those around you.

These one-way valves close when the wearer breathes in, but open when the wearer breathes out, allowing unfiltered air and droplets to escape.

Chin-Hong said that anyone wearing a valved mask would need to wear a surgical or cloth mask over it. "Alternatively, just wear a non-valved mask," he said.

www.ucsf.edu...

The article is about harm reduction - meaning in this case - minimizing infection rates during the COVID-19 pandemic.

A mnemonic that Chin-Hong likes is the “Three W’s to ward off COVID-19:” wearing a mask, washing your hands, and watching your distance.

Wearing a mask does not insure that you will not get infected - but if everyone wears masks in public and at work then we are all better protected.

The whole point of masking is to keep COVID-19 particles out of the air in the first place. And remember that people who are incubating the virus as well as those who show not symptoms spread the virus.

“I think there’s enough evidence to say that the best benefit is for people who have COVID-19 to protect them from giving COVID-19 to other people, but you’re still going to get a benefit from wearing a mask if you don’t have COVID-19,” said Chin-Hong.

Masks may be more effective as a “source control” because they can prevent larger expelled droplets from evaporating into smaller droplets that can travel farther.

Studies have compared various mask materials, but for the general public, the most important consideration may be comfort. The best mask is one you can wear comfortably and consistently, said Chin-Hong. N95 respirators are only necessary in medical situations such as intubation. Surgical masks are generally more protective than cloth masks, and some people find them lighter and more comfortable to wear.

The bottom line is that any mask that covers the nose and mouth will be of benefit.

Again, all quotes from the excellent article at:

www.ucsf.edu...

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here’s a simple piece of advice.

After wearing mask for a while they do become contaminated and some claim virtually useless .

Soooo......

If you travel with a mask and when not in use. Hang it from your rearview mirror the sun’s UV rays will sterilize it every day .

Mother nature you’ve got to love that gal .

She’s got a hack for everything. 😉
edit on 17-7-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd
What qualifies something as a mask? I wear a bandana over my face at work (only because I have to)
The rules are arbitrary and it's easy to see.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I've got some serger thread laying around unused. Wonder if I could filet crochet myself a lace "mask" I can actually breathe cool air through and not have sweat running off my face in streams like with the hot, humid re-breathing done with the crap on the market (for us heavy sweaters who sweat oceans just sitting somewhere, masks are utterly hellish torture devices)

Hey, technically, it'd be on my face and covering it. Nobody said s# about how big the stitches & gaps can or cannot be.
edit on 7/17/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
did some research this morning bc I keep seeing these mask posts everywhere, BUT everyone is wearing CLOTH masks

Avg pore size for .44mm cloth 31.0 um
Covid, Sars Virus circumference 100 nm

1,000 nm = 1um

.1 virus size to 31 pore size

That's like a virus the size of a 1x1 Beach Ball going through a hole the size of a Football Field!!!!

So, if your gonna wear a mask, please wear one with a 3m filter or something,

Please correct my maths if its wrong

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
but when you talk cough sneeze...covid sars etc are many and they are in water droplets so it is not 1 single hitting your mask

originally posted by: kent04
did some research this morning bc I keep seeing these mask posts everywhere, BUT everyone is wearing CLOTH masks

Avg pore size for .44mm cloth 31.0 um
Covid, Sars Virus circumference 100 nm

1,000 nm = 1um

.1 virus size to 31 pore size

That's like a virus the size of a 1x1 Beach Ball going through a hole the size of a Football Field!!!!

So, if your gonna wear a mask, please wear one with a 3m filter or something,

Please correct my maths if its wrong

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Did you really just contemplate crocheting a mask? Have you turned into your grandmother? What's next, crochet animals made around toilet paper rolls?

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I still prefer a coffee filter duct taped to my face for my going out in public mask. People look at you like you're crazy and leave you alone. Where I'm from, that's worth a lot!

edit on 17-7-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I just use my covfefe filter.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I just asked my GF, the queen of pain, if she could crochet me one. She laughed and said why don't I wear a normal leather mask like everyone else.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Did you really just contemplate crocheting a mask? Have you turned into your grandmother? What's next, crochet animals made around toilet paper rolls?

Lmfao, yes I did. And no, my grandmother was a FAR better tatter, crocheter and knitter than I'll ever be -- my fingers aren't that nimble and never will be.

I do have an ample amount of scarves, blankets and shawls made, though. I draw the line at amigurumi, though. The Japanese can keep their crocheted stuffed animals fad

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Well, crochet me a mask and a merkin in that case.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I just asked my GF, the queen of pain, if she could crochet me one. She laughed and said why don't I wear a normal leather mask like everyone else.

Is that like the after dinner activity or something? Fava beans, chianti and a liver, that leather had to come from somewhere...

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Well, crochet me a mask and a merkin in that case.

Luck is on your side, I still have plenty of fuzzy yarn that's like silky faux fur.

Your merkin might end up looking a little wild & unkempt, though. Like the wild, outgrown beard on the crazy hobo under the bridge. Kinda like that, but further south.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Winning!

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Or.... this. And I worked hard to snap this photo.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

Or.... this. And I worked hard to snap this photo.

This looks like the most recent picture available of DB. Hey, he looks good, Aug, the Vegan diet's working well for him, he's slimmed down a little! I understand Vegans essentially are nutritionally deficient low-cal food for cannibal crash diets, so I guess it's effective calorie restriction. Hope you're giving him his Flintstones vitamin to cover the huge dietary gaps, though.

He's gotta be starving, the poor guy.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
LOL... that was my cart! I was shopping for my mother in law, who is "plant based". Her food is good, but it is certainly a lot of work!

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

A tanned Rat skin would be cool, just poke it full of holes.

Leave the tail and all dangling about..

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Did you really just contemplate crocheting a mask? Have you turned into your grandmother?

Hey! I resemble that remark...

What's next, crochet animals made around toilet paper rolls?

I'm working on one for you now...an adorable pink elephant

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join