It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Felons Can't Vote Afterall

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Looks like the Supreme Court has allowed a lower court ruling to stand.

Another lower court previously allowed felons to register and vote, but that was halted by a different court.

Now the SCOTUS says felons can't vote !!

Well how about somebody making sure they don't vote anyway especially in some of those Florida Counties that have long histories of fraud and convenient mistakes.

Naturally the "Liberal" Justices dissented (shocking).

So if Felons do vote fraudulently, they commit another Felony anyway !!
😃😃

The U.S. Supreme Court declined on Thursday to overturn a federal appeals court’s decision that blocked some Florida felons’ eligibility to participate in elections — a major blow to efforts to restore voting rights to as many as 1.4 million people in the battleground state.

The decision lets stand a temporary halt by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit of a judge’s order that had cleared the way for hundreds of thousands of felons in the state to register to vote.

In early July, the Campaign Legal Center in Washington petitioned the high court to lift the stay, arguing that the appeals court decision had “thrown the election rules into chaos.”

But on Thursday, the U.S. Supreme Court denied that request. Three liberal justices noted their dissent, with Justice Sonia Sotomayor writing that the court’s decision “prevents thousands of otherwise eligible voters from participating in Florida’s primary election simply because they are poor.”

Supreme Court deals blow to felons in Florida seeking to regain the right to vote

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Looks like Nancy is going to have a cow again

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm a Florida felon, and if I could have my voting rights restored I'd never vote Democrat. There's a misconception that felons would vote Democrat but I don't understand why that is.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Sure they can, they just have to have completed their sentence and parole (not sure about probation) and have completely paid off any fines, court costs and financial restitution. That doesn't seem to unreasonable to me. Not sure about Florida, but most states keep you on probation until they've extracted every penny they can out of you, by keeping you paying probation fees until you finish paying off fines and restitution. So, there is an incentive to get that stuff paid regardless if you care about voting or not.
edit on 16-7-2020 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
What does being poor have to do with anything?

I can't stand Sotomayor.

Not being able to vote because of a felony has nothing to do with being poor.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08
I'm a Florida felon, and if I could have my voting rights restored I'd never vote Democrat. There's a misconception that felons would vote Democrat but I don't understand why that is.

It's unfortunate that your perceived misconception exists.

Because there are people celebrating felons not being able to vote, and they'll continue to do so.

Personally I think voting rights shouldn't be taken away ever.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

That like the statement that Biden made that poor kids are just as smart as white kids
It doesn't make sense to me either

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Well it's not like there isn't a process for this...

Restoration of Civil Rights in Florida - The Restoration of Civil Rights restores to an applicant all of the rights of citizenship in the State of Florida enjoyed before the felony conviction, except the specific authority to own, possess, or use firearms. Such restoration shall not relieve an applicant from the registration and notification requirements or any other obligations and restrictions imposed by law upon sexual predators or sexual arrow offenders.

Source

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They should just go to Commiefornia.

They could vote 5 or 6 times there.

link   

Joe Exotic will be devastated.

link   

Double post my bad.
edit on 16-7-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for a full restoration of citizen rights including 2nd Amendment rights after someone has done their time and paid their fine. If they were so dangerous that they can't have a full restoral of rights they should either still be in prison, or executed.

This ruling isn't really anything special either way though. Florida could do a better job of letting people know exactly what obligations they owe, and if voting is important to you, you should probably take the effort to at least find out what you gotta do to get that right back.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

The whole reason there is a process is to prove you have changed their ways so to speak. You wouldn't give rights back to a felon who is still committing crimes would you?

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Of course not but that isn't what this was about. It was about Florida paying a law that says restoral of voting rights is contingent upon completing your sentence including fines, fees, and restitution.

Parole and probation are step downs from incarceration, and are part of the sentence along with fines, fees, and restitution. I agree with this ruling. But I also agree that felons should get their rights back after completing these steps.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   
holy lord i was just talking to a online chat group about the baseball joke .
as for felons not voting . Grand-theft is a felony should a Kid who made a stupid mistake be band from voting forever ?
How about my 3rd son who did do drugs ( NOW clean btw ) got busted should he never be able to vote Kids do stupid things a big difference from a crimel who just keeps doing crimes .
I am 54 Heck I could have gotten felony's But was smart enough and lucky enough not to get busted but back in teh 1970s cops did not out you under for one moment of stupidy anyway .

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

That is why there is a process...so your 3rd son can take his case of being a reformed citizen to those who can reinstate those rights. Most every state has a process...should look yours up.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
humm well I was thinking maybe expunged ?
soon I will soon give it a couple more years . he has a good woman he works regular and he never forgot what being polite miens .
I miss abite and castello
edit on 16-7-2020 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   

My buddy gets out of prison in 11 days on the 26th of this month after being in 8 years. He told me anybody on the yard who is not a Trump supporter will get looked down on and possibly stomped. You would be suprised how many prisioners actually read history and understand how the outside world works. They know neither party is thier friend but they choose the lesser of two evils

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
holy lord i was just talking to a online chat group about the baseball joke .
as for felons not voting . Grand-theft is a felony should a Kid who made a stupid mistake be band from voting forever ?
How about my 3rd son who did do drugs ( NOW clean btw ) got busted should he never be able to vote Kids do stupid things a big difference from a crimel who just keeps doing crimes .
I am 54 Heck I could have gotten felony's But was smart enough and lucky enough not to get busted but back in teh 1970s cops did not out you under for one moment of stupidy anyway .

After you are reaeased from prison or jail and off probation you can petition the courts to have your rights restored. In most cases as long as it was a non-violent crime or not a S.O. crime 90% of the time you can get your rights back. The more time that passes after you get off probation without you re-offending, even a misdomener, the better your chances of getting your rights back.

Every state is different but it can be done with a little paperwork and the cost to file it with the court.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

My buddy gets out of prison in 11 days on the 26th of this month after being in 8 years. He told me anybody on the yard who is not a Trump supporter will get looked down on and possibly stomped. You would be suprised how many prisioners actually read history and understand how the outside world works. They know neither party is thier friend but they choose the lesser of two evils

I still wish they can vote regardless of their politics... Which I highly doubt aligns with mine anyways.

Many of them are there because they never felt like a part of this wild ride we're all on. It's widely known by classifying them as anti-socials and other words that imply they just don't jive with the communities. They don't feel like they're part of the human experience. And at a certain point, who could blame them? Many are in there because they prefer smoke over drinking. And because of that, we implicitly tell them their voice no longer counts. We tell them they can't even send off their vote to at least have a say in who rules over us all. Many of them laugh whenever the conversation is brought up while rubbing in the fact their politics aren't agreeable, and isn't that funny because it doesn't and won't ever matter.

That's why we'll continue to be the most incarcerated country per capita year after year. Because we think it's funny when people we dislike are imprisoned and stripped of their voice. And that I can say is on both sides. They both cheer when they project "justice" via new laws. Everyone is out for equity, and so long as they get crumbs through political avenues, it will continue exponentially.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join