It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Japanese Island May Hold Secrets To Aging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
A world conference in Australia of leading anti aging scientists has been told that the Japanese Island of Okinawa has up to four times as many people over the age of 100 years than anywhere else in the world. Twin brothers Craig and Bradley Willcox have presented their findings to the conference after discovering the average age for women on the island is 86 and 80 years for men.

www.abc.net.au
"You see amazing things - 80-year-olds taking care of 100-year-olds, and everyone has an aunt who is 95," Dr Bradley Willcox said.

Despite the ageing population, heart disease, osteoporosis and dementia are rare.

Scientists say it is not simply a matter of good genetics. It is a combination of diet, exercise and a strong sense of community which keeps them young.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Scientists say after a worldwide study into aging, that keeping active is one of the keys to living longer and on the island there is no word for retirement. Social Interaction especially aomngst the women and a lower calorie intake are also attributes of the islanders longevity.

The report mentions diet but does not appear to have found a particular ingredient or food that is a key to this anti aging. Rather the study seems to have focused more on social issues.

Related Reading
www.okinawaprogram.com...
www.okinawa.com...
Related Conference
www.conferencetours.com...
Oprah
www.oprah.com...

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Well no doubt if you live in a cut throat, fast paced society it's going to add years on you through the stress, I think people need to take a step back. Many people probably don't like the life they lead in their society, but just aren't aware of any alternatives as that's all they know and believe that's all there is.

Maybe it's time to get out of cities and return to the trees.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
However... what the report fails to say is that Japan has also the worlds biggest number of deaths at a young age... suicide rate in male teens has quadrupled in recent years.

Okinawa is a place of rest and relaxation so the difference in stress level is very large...

Japan's whole society is very rigid and the culture is adverse to change. The society often fails to address the real issues effecting people. Rather than society change Japan expects it’s people to fit into it.

So those who live longer usually live outside of the normal situation found everyday in Japan.

We all have a lot to learn from Japan but Japan has a lot more to learn from everyone else....

Neon Haze.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   

So those who live longer usually live outside of the normal situation found everyday in Japan.

I'd say that applies to societies in the west also though, I mean what really changes if you weren't happy with a way of life? Especially in the US and UK, it's either join the rat race and get stress beyond belief or go poor and hungry, but one way or another you've got to join that head spinning system. Maybe I'm wrong...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
[I'd say that applies to societies in the west also though, I mean what really changes if you weren't happy with a way of life? Especially in the US and UK, it's either join the rat race and get stress beyond belief or go poor and hungry, but one way or another you've got to join that head spinning system. Maybe I'm wrong...

I know what you mean...

I live in London and grew up in Lincolnshire, though I lived in Kyoto Kansai Japan for a while too...

I think that the stress here in London is a fraction of the stress in Japan...

Also here in England there are many choices of way of life, you can pretty do what you want so long as it is not hurting anyone...

However, in Japan there are very tight restrictions on people. Everything is so critical. Time goes by so quickly that even in the so called free time that the Japanese people have is full of stress... A normal day for a normal Japanese is wake up, work, eat outside / After work activity / Go home on last train, sleep.... EVERY DAY!!!

When I was there I was sooooo tired all the time because I didn't have time to catch my breath...

The company I was working for at the time actually had a (DESTRESS) room where there were life size blow up dummies of people in full dress that you could push and beat up to try and calm yourself down...

Most of the reason that Japanese business people act the way they do is because they don't have time for anything other than staying alive to do business. Also Most serious business people in Japan view the west as because lazy and corrupt... not because we are but just because compared to the Japanese way we are... am I making sense??

Anyway,

Getting back to extending life.... I personally believe that Old age is a disease and that one day (Maybe one day soon) we will be able to treat old age as an outcome of improper medical treatment.

Theoretically we should all be able to live for 1000+ years, however that does not take into account death by violent means whether intentional or accident.

Neon.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Certainly one of the major contributors to my own well-being is having a close knit group of supportive friends & family. I know I can depend on them & they can depend on me.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Two things are probably the reason for the longevity...

Low calorie intake has been documented to contribute as much as 25% increase in humans, and almost a 50% increase in animals life spans...

also,
No retirement...
many doctors and researchers have found that retirement is actually a leading cause of death... more studies are being done, but they note a startling frequency of occurance of terminal illness in recently retired people...
so dont EVER fully retire, and you will live longer...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Well no doubt if you live in a cut throat, fast paced society it's going to add years on you through the stress, I think people need to take a step back. Many people probably don't like the life they lead in their society, but just aren't aware of any alternatives as that's all they know and believe that's all there is.

Maybe it's time to get out of cities and return to the trees.

I could not agree with you more. However it is quite difficult to adjust to a new way of life. Most of us have become too dependent on the comforts that living in such a society provides.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I saw an interesting documentary a while back on Hemispheres - CBC/ABC Asia Pacific copro on this very subject. Apparently these folks do not know the meaning of the word "nursing home". The elderly are cherished and stay with the family til death. They eat a lot of fish, rice and some kind of seaweed which is extremely healthful as I recall. Very little beef etc. They showed people in the 80's still working on the farm and going fishing! It was pretty cool.

The younger generation, however, influenced by Western culture are now straying away from tradition - opting for Western fast foods, sedentary lifestyles and they are now suffering the effects of this - obesity and heart problems cropping up in the young, as opposed to the old.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
However it is quite difficult to adjust to a new way of life. Most of us have become too dependent on the comforts that living in such a society provides.

Exactly, that's the problem we face. No one will challenge the system now because when it comes to that moment they're too scared of giving up this way of life, not even being aware that there could be other options. It's quite sad and scary really.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I remember hearing that Okinawans eat a high intake of tofu, even when compared to the rest of Japan. It could be directly the result of eating tofu that is extending their lives.

new topics

top topics

join