It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About Russian trolls and their interference in the American elections

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Greetings, members of the ATS forum

Browsing the American media, I came across a very interesting publication that interested me and I want to share it with you. We are talking about an article "Op-Ed: How you can fight Russia’s plans to troll Americans during Campaign 2020" in the Los Angeles Times.

In this article, a group of authors, experts in various fields, tell readers about the destructive activities of the so-called "Russian trolls" and their impact on Americans and elections. I would like to draw your attention to some quotes:

"Russian trolls aren’t only targeting behaviors, like pulling a voting lever. They’re targeting beliefs, trying to stoke tribalism and polarization. Those who think they are immune to Russian tactics could become complacent, and feed right into Russian hands."

"The Soviet military, in comparison, was developing its own theories, including one called reflexive control theory.

Reflexive control is, in part, the intellectual basis for current Russian efforts to more broadly interfere with U.S. elections and democracy. If you understand reflexive control then you can better understand Russian strategy - and devise ways to combat it.

The theory is mathematically dense, drawing on models from the study of graphs and abstract algebra. But the core idea is simple: The theory assumes that people live in a polarized world of cooperation versus conflict. And it describes how people make decisions based on who they view as friends or enemies - and how they think others view them. The Russians are trying to feed information to distort these views.

The end goal for these efforts is to trigger emotional reactions and drive people to ideological extremes, making it nearly impossible to build a consensus. The Russians also hope those who are not driven to extreme positions will throw up their hands in frustration and check out. The result is political paralysis. "

"The Russian objective is to create an illusion of deep-seated divisions between people like you and people who aren’t like you, so that you won’t be able to agree on anything."

The authors argue that the Russians are trying to exacerbate the contradictions between the Americans and destroy what connects them, common values, views, interests.

I want to answer these accusations to the newspaper, the more that my nickname obliges it. Many on the forum know me, I've been here for more than one year. Sometimes I disappear for a long time, sometimes I appear again. When I registered on the forum, I realized that one of the main conditions is anonymity, I have not met any users here under their own names. Therefore, I also took the nickname Russian Troll, in which I expressed my irony and sarcasm.

In all my threads and comments, I have never tried to do what the Los Angeles Times article describes. I have always honestly expressed my views, treated the views of my interlocutors with respect and campaigned for friendship and mutual understanding between us. Many of my friends here will confirm this. Therefore, I believe I have the right to respond to this article in the Los Angeles Times.

I only want to touch on two points in this article. If you read it to the end, then it will become absolutely clear to you, as to any reader, that the authors are doing exactly what the mythical Russian trolls are accused of. They purposefully drive a wedge into the friendly relations between Russians and Americans and purposefully destroy the common views and values ​​of our peoples. That is, they themselves apply the theory of reflexive control, which the Russians are accused of. This is obvious to anyone.

Secondly, since we are talking about interfering in other people's affairs, then let's look at how this is the case with the newspaper itself. I personally participated in all the events and facts about which I will write further, all this happened to me. Your right to believe me or not.

It's no secret who is the beneficiary of the Los Angeles Times. This is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormons. Some time ago, I was very deeply devoted to the topic of Mormons in Russia, I had many friends and acquaintances among them, my home was repeatedly visited by young missionary elders from America, and we spent long hours in conversations. I knew the Mormons' activities in Russia from the inside, attended their Sunday meetings and participated in some activities.

By 2013, when the activities of Mormons in Russia began to acquire an openly destructive character, I, together with a very famous Russian journalist Dmitry Terekhov, wrote a large analytical article "Mormons among us: the church of God, or the fifth column?", Which became one of the main articles for those people who were interested in the activities of Mormons in Russia. Google and Yandex search engines gave this article in the first places. The article is in Russian, but if you are interested, you can translate it through Google translator.
edit on 16-7-2020 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

It must be said that by that time, Mormons in Russia had a very large weight and influence, both in government structures and in the media. Suffice it to say that the general auditor of many government ministries and departments of Russia was the Mormon-owned PricewaterhouseCoopers, and religious buildings and Marriott International hotels were built in many large cities of Russia, which were necessarily higher than the Temples of the Russian Orthodox Church and Muslim mosques.

My article about Mormons was published on September 10, 2013, and on September 14, Dmitry Terekhov was killed in Moscow, he was hit by an unknown car while cycling in the Krylatskoye park. The article was removed from many Russian media, it remained only in Orthodox, patriotic media and social networks. After that, I did not leave the house for about two months, and there were reasons for this - the threats I received, expressed in a "soft" form.

In my city of Saratov, the activity of Mormons was especially intense. They were going to open a stake here, build a temple, the city was flooded with American missionaries, elders who came to Russia on tourist visas, and were engaged in missionary work for years. Missionaries often became participants in scandalous stories. In Saratov, in the late 1990s, a Mormon kidnapped missionaries and demanded a ransom for them, and the missionaries themselves were often caught trying to enter closed military facilities and recruit military personnel.

In Saratov, the Mormons had their own University, which did not have a license and in which Russian youth underwent indoctrination. In addition, the Moromons in Saratov had a network of military hunting clubs with summer training camps, in which Russian youth were trained in orientation on the terrain, survival, organizing street riots, tactics of countering law enforcement agencies during demonstrations, that is, technologies, as they say in Russia. "color revolutions". This is what unfortunately is now happening in the cities of America.

All Mormon activities in Russia were financed through opaque church funds, as well as through many American non-governmental foundations and organizations. Thus, a parallel financial system was created in Russia.

Mormons in Saratov were protected by the Solidarity Human Rights Center. Its director, Alexander Nikitin, was a member of the Public Councils under all Saratov power ministries and departments and under the Government of the Saratov Region.

By that time, in Kiev (Ukraine), the Mormons had built their own Temple, and Saratov Mormons constantly traveled to Ukraine (formerly to Stockholm) to pass the endowment. All groups of Saratov Mormons in Kiev necessarily visited the "Maidan", which began in Ukraine, and brought from there Nazi literature, Nazi symbols banned in Russia and the experience of "color revolutions".

In 2014, its own "Maidan" was brewing in Russia as well. As early as September 19, 2013, a video from one of the Ukrainian-American rallies was published, in which the residents of Russia were urged to come on May 18, 2014 to Manezhnaya Square in Moscow and other cities to overthrow the authorities in Russia. A massive information campaign was launched in the media and social networks, and a coup was being prepared. On May 13, a fan of the Spartak football club was killed by migrants and this should have been a trigger for street demonstrations.

At that time in Saratov, according to the story of my Mormon friend, their leader, Alexander Nikitin, was in Moscow at the headquarters of the "oppositionists", coordinating actions, and the Mormons in Saratov were only waiting for a signal from him to speak.

But the Russian authorities then outstripped the revolutionaries. In mid-April, large-scale anti-terrorist exercises were held in all cities of the Volga Federal District, in which tens of thousands of servicemen of the Russian Internal Troops took part. In Saratov, these exercises began on April 16. You can judge their scale and tactics by these videos:

On May 18, the "Russian revolution" did not take place. After that, the state began to use legal strict measures against organizations like Mormons. Missionaries were forbidden to come to Russia, those who deceived the authorities were immediately expelled, many organizations were restricted and closed, many were given the status of "foreign agents" and declared undesirable. Foreign funding was severely limited. All these measures triggered a flurry of accusations from the US State Department of restricting religious and political freedoms and caused numerous sanctions.

And now, dear members of the forum, please answer the question: What would the United States do if foreign organizations carried out such activities on its territory, are these facts "interference"?

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   

And also put the facts I described about organizing a coup in Russia by an American organization that is the beneficiary of the Los Angeles Times with the mythical "theory of reflexive control", which is allegedly carried out by mythical Russian trolls and with which the same newspaper scares you.

The Russians have one saying: "Stop the thief" the thief himself shouts first.

Thanks for reading, I hope my post was not too long and tedious.
Your Russian Troll)))

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I believe in Russian trolls as much as I believe in trolls who live under bridges and turn to stone in sun light theses boggiemen have been around since the beginning of the cold war perpetrated by a ex nazi spy ring turned CIA.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

I believe in Russian trolls as much as I believe in trolls who live under bridges and turn to stone in sun light theses boggiemen have been around since the beginning of the cold war perpetrated by a ex nazi spy ring turned CIA.

I exist. Believe in me)))

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Enough of you to turn a presidential election? IF that's true let bomb you all back to the stoneage...... That's right your already there.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Oh yeah! I am omnipotent. This is described in my first forum thread)))

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 06:19 AM
link   

I would say your a lonely person typing out russian crapola dreaming of the once mighty soviet union/SARC

You forgot the /SARC off on your first post it drips with it.

edit on 16-7-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 07:33 AM
link   
What I do understand about Russian Trolls is that they are like Russian Dolls, a story wrapped in a story, wrapped in a story, wrapped in a story...

As for the divide and conquer program in operation, I don't give Russia all the credit.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

And now, dear members of the forum, please answer the question: What would the United States do if foreign organizations carried out such activities on its territory, are these facts "interference"?

Privet bratik.
China has infiltrated every college campus and is doing everything you have described since the 90s

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Privet bratik.
China has infiltrated every college campus and is doing everything you have described since the 90s

KGB Defector Warning to America 1984
youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
George Soros meddles in the US' electoral processes more than anyone.

He needs to be taken care of first before any others are looked into.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Its a classic.. Blame it on the Russians if the elections does not go your way.
Nobody is forcing people who to vote for. And why is Russians not allowed to have a favorite candidate, everyone else have and they are making much more noise.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I’ve seen puppet accounts for both D’s and R’s in the last few months. They’re ridiculously easy to spot on FB and twitter. Just check the profile, you’ll generally see one or two pictures, generally of the American flag and/or a picture of Trump or Biden. No friends, no posts (they only comment on existing posts or tweets) and no information filled out.

The African ones that popped up a couple months ago are pretty bad at it. I’m assuming they’re reusing accounts that were previously used in another scheme as their’s were a bit different than the average ones. They’ll generally have a bunch of pictures from Africa if you go back further in their post history or pictures, then you’ll see right around Spring, they started posting pictures of the American flag/Trump/Biden. They just don’t wipe their previous posts out before starting a new scheme.

Check the comments of any WaPo story on FB, it’s very rare they don’t show up there. My favorites are the ones who can’t write in English very well and the idiots who reply to them thinking their legit.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Russia has an economy the size of Italy. No ability to influence the US election enough to matter. Just look how people vote over the years. Half vote left and about half right. Every single time. Tax people too much and it goes right. Don't give the poor enough it goes left.

All these protesters, BLM, antifia do not matter. Trump will still get his 8% black vote just like last time. Probably more. Besides, Russia has their own problems. Way more than the US.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyinHeadlock
Russia has an economy the size of Italy. No ability to influence the US election enough to matter. Just look how people vote over the years. Half vote left and about half right. Every single time. Tax people too much and it goes right. Don't give the poor enough it goes left.

All these protesters, BLM, antifia do not matter. Trump will still get his 8% black vote just like last time. Probably more. Besides, Russia has their own problems. Way more than the US.

In the US, most of the GDP consists of financial instruments - stocks, derivatives, and others. The share of the real sector of the economy in the United States for 2018 is about 19%. now - 7%.
The share of Russia in the real sector for 2018 is 42.1%. Now - more than 50%
The rest of the US has inflated financial bubbles and services. Even on Boeing civilian liners, the US added value is 5-7% (assembly only). The share of Russia is 25%.
You can't fly into space on devirativs, and you can't win a war, and you can't feed people.
edit on 16-7-2020 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

In the US, most of the GDP consists of financial instruments - stocks, derivatives, and others. The share of the real sector of the economy in the United States is about 7%. The rest is inflated financial bubbles and services. Even on Boeing civilian liners, the US added value is 5-7% (assembly only). The share of Russia is 25%.
You can't fly into space on devirativs, and you can't win a war, and you can't feed people.

Go read that story on them towing their diesel carrier to Syria. Then go look at the US carriers compared to the entire planet. And where is their SpaceX companies. US has put gobs of rovers on Mars. What have they done or anyone else.

After that go look how people voted in the US the past 40 years. It's damn near split every single time down the middle. They are not influencing anything in the US. The US elections are decided by a few percentage points. It's normally due to one side just not motivated by the candidate and too lazy to vote.

Russia's economy sucks. Go look at their standard of living to the US. Not even close. Same for China.
edit on 16-7-2020 by FlyinHeadlock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   

In the US, most of the GDP consists of financial instruments - stocks, derivatives, and others. The share of the real sector of the economy in the United States is about 7%. The rest is inflated financial bubbles and services. Even on Boeing civilian liners, the US added value is 5-7% (assembly only). The share of Russia is 25%.

Go read that story on them towing their diesel carrier to Syria. Then go look at the US carriers compared to the entire planet. And where is their SpaceX companies. US has but gobs of rovers on Mars. What have they done or anyone else.

After that go look how people voted in the US the past 40 years. It's damn near split every single time down the middle. They are not influencing anything in the US. The US elections are decided by a few percentage points. It's normally due to one side just not motivated by the candidate and too lazy to vote.

Aircraft carriers are a large and very convenient target for modern missile systems. The 20th century ended long ago, now there are new technologies and new military doctrines. No need to go out with a crossbow against the Armata tank

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I’m not so sure they don’t have the ability. I can certainly see, as described in the OP, how getting a couple hundred puppet accounts posting alt-leaning posts from either side can certainly push people in the opposite direction. You can see it happen in those comment sections; someone makes an alt-left or alt-right post and it’s followed by a storm of people posting the complete opposite in opposition, generally taking it further than they need to to prove a point. Do that enough and you start influencing people to think the same way they’re posting, next thing you know, they’re that much more fired up to oppose the opposition, as where normally, they wouldn’t care as much.

We all know how easily people can be manipulated and how trolling is effective at...trolling. We see it here on ATS regularly. You’ll have a left-leaning member make an anti-Trump post and all the Trump supporters come out and turn it into a 3-page worship Trump thread while simultaneously saying “No one cares what you think. Everyone is laughing at you and the left. Your opinion means nothing. I’m going to pay less taxes next year and not have my rights infringed upon because Trump is going to win and if you think any different you’re just proving how stupid you are like all the other leftist”. This forum is FILLED with it. There’s barely any actual discussion there’s so much of it, it’s primarily a bunch of right-leaning members just killing time in an echo chamber.

This is primarily why I fully believe ATS has been infested with paid shills.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

And who has all these modern missiles to hit something with modern defense systems and electronic jammers in open water. It's just not that easy and certainly not cheap. If it was China would stop building new carriers.

I don't even think Russia has a nuclear carrier. Just hit the tanker and it's dead in the water. But regardless, go look at what the US considers poverty level to what poverty is in Russia and China and tell me Russia has a stronger economy. Total nonsense.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join