It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Face Masks DON'T Work, According To SCIENCE

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Bingo! You're also re inhaling your own carbon dioxide. Dulls your mental acuity over time.

Wait. It's either too porous to stop a virus, or it can trap a co2 molecule. You can't have it both ways.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Do me a favor, go underneath your blanket and breath there for a while. See how long until you notice you're not breathing the most fresh air, you can tell the CO2 is building up, even though a blanket is porous. Well the mask trapping some of your breath in the same manner as putting a blanket over your head. Doesn't mean you're not getting oxygen, or going suffocate but not as much as you would sans blanket over your head, and oxygen is to a brain is like octane to a car -- makes it go VROOOM VROOOM really fast.

edit on 15-7-2020 by av8r007 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2020 by av8r007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Stand in front of a window or mirror and breathe. Did it fog up? Those are droplets. Now put on a mask, surgical, cloth, or whatever. Try it again. No fog? The mask blocked the droplets.

This doesn't require science, it requires common sense.

The fog is condensate. Does that fog form if you are 12 inches away? Does it still form with a mask?

Common sense is that a complicated disease theory requires science to make conclusions. Mirror fog isn't it.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Mucous membranes like tear ducts are also an easy way to get an infection, but nobody has been screaming for full face masks. I wonder how many people would freak out if I started walking around town wearing my m2 gas mask. It is NBC rated, along with covering my eyes, nose, and mouth. I may have to go dig it out of my sea bag. Or, you know, wait for the rest of public to realize that this whole thing is blown out of proportion, and that the paper and cloth masks that they all swear by are useless.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   
You need to learn how to read the article and make your title tell the truth about it. This article says that surgical masks are no different than N95 masks - it NEVER says that masks don't work. For that, you would have to have studies comparing NO MASKS to masks. Hmm... not sure how you didn't get that.

This study actually shows that all masks are effective, even if they aren't top-of-the-line, which should get you to think about wearing one.
edit on 15pmWed, 15 Jul 2020 20:37:04 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
The guys in Vegas would say you are trying to make the point the hard way.

Think of it like this. You are trying to stop a mosquito with a chain link fence.

The concept of a face mask, any mask, even just a shirt over your face, is that your breathing and coughing doesn't spray as far.
so instead of launching your air 15 feet across the room with a cough, it only goes right around your face. a bit of social distancing mixed with that and the risks become quite small.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Ummm wot?

That fogging you see is caused by condensation. Thermal difference between your humid breath and the usually cold dry surface of the glass.

Yes, there will be some droplets of spit, but its not like a breath weapon where you spray out billions of mist spittle.

I also don't get how people don't understand the simple physics of air dynamics, friction and confined spaces.
You wear a mask with little allowable air flow (N95) and add in consistent exhaling...
You will be exhaling more CO2 than you are getting in of O2, so you'd be breathing in the CO2 you just exhaled (If wearing the mask correctly).
Of course your blood CO2 levels will increase... Of course your blood oxygen levels will drop.
It's straight up science fact.

Don't think its a thing? Look up what the Navy's around the world have to put into place for Sub-Mariners or what Space Agencies have to do for their Astronauts.

And yeah, a cloth mask might actually help if you replaced it every 30minutes or so once it starts getting damp... Who wants to carry around 30 masks a day? Then you have to go through the proper process of sanitation. Either bleach baths or boiling.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Actually, those aren't simply your droplets collecting and building up, it has to do with the difference in heat between room temperature aclamated mirror and your breath. It condenses the air coming from your mouth pulling out moisture.

Of course if one were to consider both thermodynamics and aerodynamics in this context they might be intrigued enough to question exactly why those darn glasses keep fogging up.
edit on 7/15/2020 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

I just told my mother today, that I keep getting these ridiculous headaches, and I thought it was the masks that was causing the headaches.

I guess I can tell her that I might have called this one right.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Coughing and sneezing are not common things. Especially now. People stay home if they are that sick due snarky looks. But the point is mask do have some impact on that aspect. Enough to matter. Doesn't look like it. Not some massive decline in cases going full frontal assault with mask rules.

All we really know is healthy people, highly likely they die. Almost zero chance. Maybe just quarantine fat and unhealthy people exclusively. If we did that we could have got this under control in no time with much less drama. Warn them and let them assume the risk if they choose. If the want to be fat Evil Knievel then let them jump those buses. Who cares. It's their life.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyinHeadlock
Watching later. Why don't they just show the size of the virus compared to the holes of the mask using simple concepts like a golf ball being thrown through an NFL goal post. I think that would help people understand how futile that goalpost is stopping that golf ball.

Excellent point.

Give us exact numbers like size of viral component and size of mesh or spaces within barrier.....give us a video showing us a test its not rocket science.....

Either it stops it or it doesnt.

Why do I have to trust all the "studies" Ben referred to as my scientific validation...how do I know all of these studies have not been bastardized?...I certainly do not exclude that possibility....

This is simple math right?

How big is the viral particle and how big are the spaces between fibers on the Masks....this is a basic Addition/Subtraction dynamic right?

Why do we need all these "studies"?

Show me the numbers right now and the case is closed....anything else as in "studies" is intentionally leaving wiggle room or a window of opportunity to cheat the House.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I wear a mask to bed, because I love the smell of Co2 in the mornings. 😛

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Wait, I must be missing something here - your claim is outright that masks don’t work, but then the studies you / Swann cite don’t relate to the efficacy of masks, rather the “Effectiveness of N95 Respirators vs Surgical Masks”?

Those studies concluded that there is no statistically significant difference between the two masks, but that doesn’t aid your claim - you’d need to find a study which demonstrates wearing a mask provides no significant benefit compared to wearing NO mask.

No one is claiming masks are the be all and end all, they should just be one tactic of many we employ to minimise the risk of spreading / contracting the virus.

Personally I think there’s no need to wear masks outside in large open spaces, but from the studies I’ve read, there’s at least a marginal benefit to wearing them in public spaces with increased foot traffic (i.e. a supermarket).

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Coughing and sneezing are not common things. Especially now. People stay home if they are that sick due snarky looks. But the point is mask do have some impact on that aspect. Enough to matter. Doesn't look like it. Not some massive decline in cases going full frontal assault with mask rules.

All we really know is healthy people, highly likely they die. Almost zero chance. Maybe just quarantine fat and unhealthy people exclusively. If we did that we could have got this under control in no time with much less drama. Warn them and let them assume the risk if they choose. If the want to be fat Evil Knievel then let them jump those buses. Who cares. It's their life.

Masks work

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Also, I've just arrived at my hospital for a pre-assesment, for my op in August. You know, the place where the experts are?

It's a huge hospital and there are currently LOTS of staff and visitors walking through the corridors.

Every single staff member and visitor I have seen is wearing a face mask, every single one.

Just sayin.
edit on 16-7-2020 by FinallyAwake because: typo

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 04:48 AM
link   
This thread is totally misleading and the video posted in the OP doesn't even back up what the OP is claiming. I was going to try and intelligently re-but some of these posts but seriously, this virus will rebut these fools on a cellular level anyway. I hope they survive.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This thread deserves to go in the hoax bin!!!

Wearing a mask is to help stop a person spreading the infection if they have it, more than stopping a person from getting it.
People should stop thinking youtube and facebook posts are science fact, 99.9% of the time they are just propaganda and opinion.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I wonder where people are disposing of all those contaminated used face masks? Are they putting them in biohazard waste? Hmmm.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   
When researchers want to study a virus, they grow a culture. To grow a culture they put some virus in a container along with nutrients and let it grow. They use a machine called an incubator for this. The incubator provides a warm humid atmosphere that promotes the growth of the virus. What else provides a warm humid atmosphere? How about a face mask.

posted on Jul, 16 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Masks work

Masks work great for close quarters interactions. It's well established.

That report does not support the conclusion that all the public should be masked. Supporting a conclusion that impacts 350 million people shouldn't be drawn from a retrospective of 2 hairstylists and less than 200 "potential" exposures. Most of the real studies conclude interactions in health care settings and close quarters are great opportunities for masks to be effective.

Nobody is stopping you from wearing a mask if you think it's effective and wish to feel more secure. The anti-science argument that it's effective for the entire population will continue to be pushed and, in horribly insufficient cases like you linked, there will be those rushing to get something printed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join