It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft or test right now on ADS-B

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Most likely an RC-135U returning from Japan. They dropped and slowed at some point to refuel. There's a polar jetstream that makes things fun. You also have to take into account bad data. I've seen aircraft showing over 2 million feet.

Classified aircraft don't broadcast their entire flight.
edit on 7/15/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Too bad I forgot to get up and look for the comet when it went over last night, because when this flight went over SW Ontario it went damn near right over my place.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
An F-15C can go 1,650 mph for a short distance in afterburner and has a service ceiling of 65,000 feet. I suppose if one were stripped down, carrying nothing but external fuel tanks and had tankers refueling it just before it made its high-speed dash and after it left Chinese airspace, it might just be possible. But I can’t think of any good reason why the USA or it’s allies would do such a foolish thing. Our spy satellites, like the KH-12 and whatever has succeeded it can discern objects 4-inches in diameter. We also have RC-135s with powerful electro-optic cameras and radars that can peer sideways, from high altitudes just outside China’s borders. Of course, the now retired SR-71 could have gone twice as fast as the aircraft in the OP and 30,000 feet higher. There was a proposal to re-engine some B-1Bs with the same engines on the F-22. It would have given the B-1 supercruise capability for a longer range than any present aircraft. I don’t remember if the top supercruise speed would have been as much as the OP aircraft
edit on 15-7-2020 by Scapegrace because: Addition

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Classified aircraft don't broadcast their entire flight.

Yea which is odd I found this flight down in Indonesia. I tend to see the U2's out of Beale and Edwards from time to time. But never out of Djibouti, or the UK ( I've seen them on Google Maps at those locations ). As I'm sure they're at many other places.

As for a 707 flying at those speeds, hah I'll bet the pilot was sucking up some serious fabric. 😆😂

My other thought was, what if there was never a plane at all. But it was nothing more than a computer hack that displayed a ghost plane? This plane came over Russia, China and turned around in Indonesia, then back over CHINA ( OUR FRIENDS ) Russia on over back to Texas. Doing something like this would make China anxious seeing 50 aircrafts coming in at 1150 mph, thus luanching everything they have at the skies wasting off expensive weapons.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

That's groundspeed. His actual airspeed is about 0.8 mach or so. But he was doing 1100+ mph over the ground thanks to the tail wind. They've clocked 787s at 770 and 801 mph groundspeed. Their actual airspeed was 580 mph, which is normal cruising speed.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Lol..
Couple month ago I was watching 747's cruising flying over Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York easily doing over 7 to 800 miles an hour ( according to Flights ) headed east in the jet stream. I was worried the wings would snap off. But I realise how strong those wings are.

edit on 15-7-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   
With China still playing silly in the South China Seas I think its why a Rc-135 is doing some check up flights over that flightpath..

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Surprised China let us fly right over them without confrontation. 😥
Russia too.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

You have three airspeeds. Indicated, True, and Ground. Indicated airspeed is the speed shown in the cockpit, as measured by the pitot tubes and static system. True is the actual airspeed being flown. Ground is how fast you're going over the ground.

Indicated airspeed can be affected by pressure changes. This is one of the instruments they're setting when you hear them give a pressure reading. It's also what is used for setting maximum speeds.

True airspeed is how fast the aircraft is flying relative to the air mass around it.

Ground speed is where it gets fun. This has absolutely nothing to do with how fast the aircraft is actually flying. It is affected by either tail or head winds. In the case of a tail wind, the indicated airspeed will show 500 knots, but the ground speed will show 700+, depending on wind speed. The aircraft is flying 500 knots, but the transponder is reporting in ground speed, so shows 700, or whatever the ground speed is.

In the event of a head wind, the aircraft will show a slower speed on anything tracking it. In fact, depending on the aircraft, you could have a negative ground speed. You're still flying above stall speed, but relative to the ground, you appear to be going backwards. This is normally seen in small aircraft.

So when you see 700+, there's absolutely no danger of the wings coming off, because the actual speed is much lower.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

One of the U Boats was intercepted near Japan by Russian aircraft last week.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I'll almost guarantee that's a bad track.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Thank you very much. That was a great lesson and I appreciate your explanation.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Well perhaps, otherwise it was an aggressive demonstration.
I'm comfortable with a bad track glitch.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
With China still playing silly in the South China Seas I think its why a Rc-135 is doing some check up flights over that flightpath..

I took this pic, love living near the airport.
We have Poseidon, and Orion's in that area from Japan that track submarines. This bad boy i have no idea what was going on 😆

edit on 15-7-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   

What no love to Calibrated or equivalent airspeed?

For others that might want another way to look at it:
Same concept as water and a boat. As the river flows 10kts and your boat indicates you are going 20kts your groundspeed of flowing with the direction of water is 30kts. If against the water your groundspeed is 10kts.

Nice explanation Zaph.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: glib2

Calibrated and equivalent are the red headed step children of airspeed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join