It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Korean Kimchi 'may cure bird flu'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Fermented cabbage, A Korean staple, may help ward off the effects of the bird flu. Scientist at Seoul National University fed an extract of the dish to 13 infected chickens. Eleven of the chickens showed signs of recovering. As a result, many South Koreans have increased thier intake of the dish. Scientist were quick to caution that the results were far from scientifically proven.

news.bbc.co.uk
South Korea's spicy fermented cabbage dish, kimchi, could help to cure bird flu, according to researchers.

Scientists at Seoul National University say they fed an extract of kimchi to 13 infected chickens - and a week later 11 of them had started recovering.

The researchers said the results were far from scientifically proven and if kimchi did have the effects they observed, it was unclear why.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kimchi is really strong stuff. If anything can knock off the bird flu then this stuff would be it. Our neighbor is Korean and makes thier own. Its great at BBQ's, but I tell you its unmistakable when they dig up that pot in thier back yard.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Oopsys again,
I just posted this in the medical forum after reading about it on a Canadian news site. Fascinating information but logical with the ingredients of Kimchi being used for centuries in one form or another to ward off illness.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Oopsys again,
I just posted this in the medical forum after reading about it on a Canadian news site. Fascinating information but logical with the ingredients of Kimchi being used for centuries in one form or another to ward off illness.

Mayet,

Your medical post is just fine. There can be parallel threads on ATSNN and ATS

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Kimchi makes me think of the stuff I'm growing here at my house called Keifer. It too is a fermentation process. However it is done in milk or water.
The grains are said to be collected and re harvested for many many years (thousands?).
In fact it is said that it could possibly be the manna of the bible. It keeps on increasing so you can harvest the grains and share them.
It is sais to be an amazing cure for many illnesses.
I have tried a tiny bit, depending on your mind frame it could be construed
as a liquid yougurt or baby puke.
It's more like the latter for me....... Guess I'd better try kimchi.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
In light of recent outbreaks and growing concern over Avian Flu, i thought I would give this a gentle bump.

I looked and could not find a followup on the Kimchi story, can anybody shed any light?

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
My wife ( who is Korean) loved the story!
Our question is what kind of kimchi was used in the study?
There are literally 100's of kimchis not just the one that nost of the world is familiar with.
I gave my mother in-law a call and asked that she email me one of the local news articles. to see if I can get more info

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Oh my I forgot about this article. Good news, though, as I'm a big fan of Korean cuisine, kimchi included. Although, I don't think it's a good way to help fight avian flu, but some good could come out of it if, as you said, follow-ups were done.

I've thus far found nothing.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
It must be some sort of enzyme created by the fermentation process. Old timers here in the states swear drinking sauerkraut brine kills the flu. I guess if you can stand to drink it, it will either kill you or heal you. The last time I had the flu, I tried that remedy. That was 1993. I recovered within 24 hours and haven't had it since. I now grow cabbage and make my own sauerkraut and have every year since then.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
It must be some sort of enzyme created by the fermentation process. Old timers here in the states swear drinking sauerkraut brine kills the flu.

Yeah my grandafther used to drink a glass day. Its some powerfull stuff and for me hard to keep down. Its got to be abreakdown made by the fermentation process that is casuing this.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Great..
I have innoculated my kitchen..
A jar of Kimchi, exploded, a few months ago, while I was opening it..
I love the stuff, but the smell definitely lingers.

I hope there really is something to this..I'm sure there are lots of active chemicals involved in the creation of this tasty dish.
Like someone else mentioned though, it could be one of the ingredients other than the cabbage..Special Bird-flu recipe..

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Good catch! I wouldn't be surprised kimchi fights back the flu as even more.

Its not only fermented tho. Its got an animal protein (fish/oyster sauce) as well. But it's still great for you.
I've been eating it for over 10 years and making it for just over one now.

The main thing is people don't know what to eat on and Korean food mystifies them. I'm here to cure that if you'd like. I suggest eating Kimchi on tacos made with Korean BBQ meat (marinated in ginger, garlic, onion, sesame oil, pineapple juice and minced asian pear with soy, or if youre poor just some flat coke, gralic powder and soy sauce for 2 hours, then grille) and a touch of sour creme and shredded nappa or lettuce.

Also you can make a soup similar to Yook Kai Jang (6 ingredient soup) Which is korean chili powder roasted in sesame oil, then you saute the kimchi and add beef stock, nappa cabbage, green onion, fiddle head ferns, and shredded cooked flanksteak. Its what you eat when you want to get rid of any cold or flu.

Come up with your own combos, its spicy, crunchy, and sour. It goes well with meat, warm rice, and sweet flavors. So maybe on top of a mango sweet and sour prawns on jasmine rice?

I mostly suggest just making your own, that way you make it just the flavor you like and not too hot, you can also season it more mexican or ethiopian style. Whoever has the heat can add that culture to Kimchi. I may start a DIY thread in the survival forums seeing how Kimchi is an ultimate survival food, can be created for cheap, is super healthy and requires no refrigeration. I think the Koreans knew what an amazing contribution they were making when they introduced Vietnam to Kimchi.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Just wondering is this the same as Sauerkraut?

My wife love this stuff on hot dogs.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

Dang that sounds good..........ATS need a Recipe forum.

We could all cook and be happy instead of WW3.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by grayghost

www.abovetopsecret.com...

One of my favorite forums to visit..

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I have to get out more.

I didn't realize the page went down that far.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by grayghost
Just wondering is this the same as Sauerkraut?

My wife love this stuff on hot dogs.

Not the same as sauerkraut exactly, kimchi has animal protein added, so its even funkier. but supposedly healthier

My ex told me that the enzymes in kimchi made your sweat and glands stink less (yet the irony that kimchi reeks).

I'll bet you some spicy kimchi on a Hot Polish dog with a touch of cream cheese would be AMAZING.

Also when using or cooking kimchi always use the kitchen fan and close the doors in your rooms so they dont absorb smells

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

Thanks for the heads up.

And that sausage sounds good too.

Dang i am getting hungry.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
So what molecule is it

that inhibits H1N1?

top topics

join