It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBA Disallows Criticism of Communist China While Embracing Vilification of US LEOs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
Certain stadiums are paid by taxes due to fantasies about what they bring to the community but for the most part they stand on their own don't they?

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Also, you seem to be uneducated on the nature of professional sports leagues in the United States... the NBA League is legally a non-profit organization that has franchises which are operated like for-profit employees of the league.

Correct.
I watched Jordan and I did not know that.
Go Jazz btw

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
Certain stadiums are paid by taxes due to fantasies about what they bring to the community but for the most part they stand on their own don't they?

Not really. If Congress eliminated the anti-trust exemptions and non-profit status and communities refused to be extorted into not only paying for the arenas/stadiums, but allowing the teams to claim the lion's share of the gate, parking, and concessions, pro sports in the USA as we know them would end entirely. That isn't a flex, it is a fact. Sans collusion, no league could survive more than a couple of seasons digitalcommons.law.villanova.edu... sans tax payer subsidies and municipalities building and paying for the venues, teams would be stuck in the old school "our 60 year old stadium will have to do" model and only a small handfull of teams like the Packers, Red Sox, Cubs, Bears, and Yankees would remain viable.

My point with this is, while the NBA sits in their ivory tower bitching about the US system, it is that system which actually affords them every luxury they enjoy.
edit on 14-7-2020 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   
That's fascinating.

My humblest apologies...
You win

Edit to add...
That wasn't sarcasm.

edit on 14-7-2020 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: Editing is fun

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I haven't watched an NBA game since the time of Wilt "The Stilt" , Larry Byrd , Walt Frazier , and Jerry West .

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   

cancel culture, maybe tweet about it for the full Goya effect
edit on 14-7-2020 by UpIsNowDown because: edit

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Are you for free markets? Should the NBA make efforts to ensure they are profitable or should they save the world?

Can a free market exist in a place where free speech does not? A big issue I am seeing with China is in its cultural norms of 'saving face'. Negative speech will not be tolerated, especially against the CCP. For a citizen in China, first they will censor you and impact your social credit score. Keep it up and you will just disappear. With a lack of social checks and balances in the system, the power of unaccounted authority grows stronger.

Hong Kong is sad. When the British moved in the terms of the lease was 100 years, which recently expired. I am not surprised to see the CPP now throwing its weight around. As the CPP does smash up the status quo in Hong Kong, I am hoping many of the ideas that made Hong Kong what it is will spread throughout the region.

As for what the NBA does about it, I don't know. Will a faction break off and do the China circuit? When it is all about the money, I guess they will do what the money says.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   

The NBA is built on the backs of superstars.
They want their stars to be vocal express themselves because it promotes their brand.

But don't criticise China!
We need their money..

Just like Hollywood.
Political bull in movies but they take a knee to china by editing entire movies so they don't offend the Chinese.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I just made both:

edit on 14-7-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
I would rather watch paint dry than watch basketball.
Or maybe even soccer.

Same here and I don't like soccer. Anyone US citizen that materially supports China should be imprisoned for treason.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Anyone US citizen that materially supports China should be imprisoned for treason.

So pretty much everyone that shops at Walmart, Target, Costco and nearly every other retailer in the country.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Nike, is that you?

Guess no need for those anti theft alarms in footlocker? Besides, their prices an quality the real crime here. Especially when their empire rely on the backs of school children that no body seem to care about.
Adidas an Reboks for life.
edit on 14-7-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

No Adidada is just as bad as them...

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Anyone US citizen that materially supports China should be imprisoned for treason.

So pretty much everyone that shops at Walmart, Target, Costco and nearly every other retailer in the country.

Of course, haven't you stopped buying Chinese products yet?

You also know what I meant, don't parse it so much.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I try not to buy any.

No, I don't know what you mean. Pretty much everyone uses products made over there which by it's nature is supporting them.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I try not to buy any.

No, I don't know what you mean. Pretty much everyone uses products made over there which by it's nature is supporting them.

Don't play dumb, some in the NBA have given their vocal support to China because of the money, disregarding their human rights violations and other nefarious actions. That's wrong.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Don't play dumb, some in the NBA have given their vocal support to China because of the money, disregarding their human rights violations and other nefarious actions. That's wrong.

Okay? They can do that, it's not illegal and asking it to be illegal makes the person asking for it just as dumb as the people they want prosecuted.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Okay? They can do that, it's not illegal and asking it to be illegal makes the person asking for it just as dumb as the people they want prosecuted.

Bull. Supporting communist governments is ok with you. Good to know.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I said it was dumb, I also said it wasn't illegal. Talk about hysteric reading comprehension failure.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: underwerks

Warriors Jersey Attempt

Dude, I am literally trying it right now and I get a red text that says "We are unable to customize this item with the text you have entered. Please try a different entry."

What are you doing that allows it to happen? Is it specific to particular jersey styles?

Are you sure?
edit on 14/7/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I said it was dumb, I also said it wasn't illegal. Talk about hysteric reading comprehension failure.

I comprehend just fine, no hysteria involved. You said it was dumb but you didn't say you wouldn't support them either. If you're going to nitpick, expect it back.

Have a nice day.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join