It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US House urges EU to name Hezbollah as terrorist organization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
A resolution has been passed in the The US House of Representatives urging the European Union to add the Hezbollah to its lists of terrorist organization. A proposal to do so was dropped from the current European Parliament session. However, they did vote 390-3 to take measures against the group is they are found to be conducting terrorist activities.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The US House of Representatives adopted a resolution calling on the European Union to put Lebanese Shiite organization Hezbollah on its list of terrorist organizations.

The 390-3 vote came as the European Parliament Thursday backed measures to be taken against Hezbollah if the Lebanese Shiite organization is found to have terrorist activities.

The parliament members did not, however, put it on a European list of terror organizations, after a proposal to do so was dropped.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have to wonder what type of proof they are looking for? Suicide bombers? Car bombs? It is inexplicable to me that they do not have this group on thier terrorist list. Is it an attempt to present an alternative to the U.S. in the Middle East?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I think the European governments try to avoid a terrorwave in Europe, like in the 80's, we are ducking for cover rather than the american government that has decide to not only engage but also bring the battle to them...

I wouldn't like to see terrorist attacks in my hood, but on the other hand Hizbollah definately got a terrorist taste to it, its only through their Syrian/iranian support that they had the kind of significance that would make them an unwelcome but undeniable partner to political negotiations......The European policies seems rather aimed at damagecontrol than adressing the problem.

Currently the american government has put Syria./ Iran in the rogue corner, so Hizbollah seems the baby that needs to be washed away with the bathtub water as well, but the Europeans are especially reluctanct to stand up against Iran and I would think this has to do more with irans oilreserves than our high european moral standards about countries having rights for self-determination

Why is it important that Hizbollah needs to be explicitly on the terrorist list at this time, are we seeing a prelude to attempt passing a un resolution laying a legal framework for u.s. millitary action, ousting them and any remaining syrians out of lebanon??

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
If you put Hezbollah on the terrorist group, you will only encourage the moderate elements within to turn radical. The only way to engage a group like Hezbollah, which contains a wide cross-section of the community, is to chip at them politically with incentives.

I know it would be hard, but it's like putting Fatah on the terrorist list (if it is already, then i would feel really stupid right about now :lol

new topics

join