It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers are in a no win situation

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

a "back in the classroom" solution with whatever modified constructs we can come up with. one good idea I heard recently was to lower the number of students per day, 2 groups, an every - other day scenario, so 1/2 the students in the building, could give a chance.
a reply to: Lr103

maybe a positive thing are we finally going to get smaller classroom sizes? is that 12 -15 kids in classroom.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

If you think the number of introverted people is high now just imagine that magnified by 100x or more, no one will ever leave their homes in 50 years if kids are unable to develop their social skills properly.
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

=hmmm?? you are almost making it sound like a conspriacy??

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
We'll see if any Teacher Union "bosses" take note of what happened to a New York City police union "boss" yesterday.

BIG ARREST: twitter.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Best classes ever for me was when we lived in Korea (dad was a businessman, NOT military) -- yeah, it was a private school and the teachers were well-paid & then some, BUT the school flat refused to have more than 15 kids per class. My class maxed out at 10. Ten students in my class. Other teachers had 12, but I don't recall any over that in the grades I was in over there.

When we got back stateside, I was tossed into a classroom with 25 kids. I remember thinking, "There's no way Mr Teacher can give us all the right kind of attention and tutoring like this, it's too many kids!"

I was in 5th grade and knew this much.

The bigger the classes, the worse off the kids are. I had the privilege (and I know it was upper MC privilege) of knowing what it was like to learn with just a dozen or less classmates, versus two dozen or more. The bigger the groups of students, the less effective the learning environment and tutoring the teacher can give truly is.

We need to get away from this obsession with huge class sizes. It does no one any good.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Is recess still going to be a thing? if I was a kid I would be like: I have to go to school during a pandemic at least there is recess, wait theres no recess. NOOOOOOO!

I feel like then there would be a kids protest.

No Recess, No peace, No recess, No peace.
edit on 14-7-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

10????
Maybe it is a sign of the times, and maybe I am dating myself, but there used to be like 40 or more kids in our classes in grade school. It was parochial school, and there seemed to be no issue with not learning.
None at all.

There were two kids in my grade that had behavior issues that left the school in about the third grade.
I'd go so far as to say kids knew how to read, add, think and rarely had failing grades.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Lr103

My wife just retired from teaching after 30 years. First thing she said is that there are going to be so many kids left behind, then there are kids who are not up to grade level. Parents will have put in a big effort and some won't follow through at all. Where we live the district wants to divide the classroom with real time instruction and online instruction so as only half the kids are in the classroom. The other half will be using on-line instruction, but that same classroom teacher has to do both online and classroom instruction every day with the class. It's just double your work load and there is no assistance at all. She also mentioned that people think the younger children will keep masks on all day , masks will be used as blindfolds, necklaces, and other things. It will be hard for the teachers. Some of her friends have decided to put in for early retirement because of there medical condition. some are leaving the profession all togeather after no raises for several years. Most would really like to stay, but the mortgage has to be paid

edit on 15-7-2020 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Some teachers have underlying medical conditions that puts them at risk. There also would be double the workload . Most schools are opting for online and classroom instructions where teachers have to do both.
The other reason is Some of these ideas being put out by your local school districts violate there own teaching contracts, it becomes a legal issue in this case not a pay issure. Every state contracts there teachers. Teachers are not afraid of racial backlash they get that cr@$ weekly from some parents believe me. I know. Some of you just don't know the dedication that these teachers have . I'll tell you right now that they are very worried about these kids. Not mention they are also miss being with them in the classroom.

edit on 15-7-2020 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
a reply to: JAGStorm

Why specifically do they not want to go back?

Afraid of the virus?

Afraid of racial backlash?

Afraid of parents blaming them if their kids bring Covid-19 home.

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SJE98

also would be double the workload

I think this is a big part of it, especially for the younger years.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join