It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet NEOWISE, C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
2020 is full of surprises!

Earlier this year we've had 2 comets with high expectations putting on a show(viewing and imaging), C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) and Comet C/2017 T2 (PanSTARRS).
Turned out it wasn't the case as their brightness faded away or even disintegrated. I've had a chance of imaging both comets and although it's always a wonderful experience seeing these rocks moving across the nightsky through binoculars, telescopes or even with the naked eye, deep inside you're hoping for a new Halley's Comet or Hale–Bopp with its extremely bright blue ion tail of which I didn't image back in the days unfortunately.
Comet ATLAS C/2019 Y4 (04/04/20)

But with comets you never know what's going to happen, they don't care for our predictions.
So almost out of nothing a new (old) comet appeared on the horizon.
C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) or comet Neowise

“In its discovery images, C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) appeared as a glowing, fuzzy dot moving across the sky even when it was still pretty far away,” said NEOWISE principal investigator Dr. Amy Mainzer, an astronomer at the University of Arizona

“From its infrared signature, we can tell that C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) is about 5 km (3 miles) across, and by combining the infrared data with visible-light images, we can tell that the comet’s nucleus is covered with sooty, dark particles left over from its formation near the birth of our Solar System 4.6 billion years ago,”

As it survived its trip around the Sun and didn't became a 'sun diving comet' it is now putting on a good show. Not like the previous Halley or Hale–Bopp but definitely worth looking at for amateurs and professional astronomers/astrophotographers.

At the moment the comet can be seen a few hours before sunrise depending on your latitude and is becoming visible in the early evening/nights too.
Neowise is visible with the naked. With basic binoculars you can easily distinguish nucleus and tail.

For myself, I have recently had the chance to capture it.
Here are some images I took.
A quick shot after it disappeared behind the clouds

A week later I was finally able to capture the comet in its full glory.
40min exposure of comet Neowise

For those who haven't had the chance or even don't know about it, look at the N-NE horizon in the early hours to witness this event.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Beautiful work.

Actually, hasn't it made the "corner?" Shouldn't it be showing up in the NW, after sunset?

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Great photo! Thanks for sharing with us.

This was mentioned in the local paper and from what the article said, we won't be able to see it here in Alaska. Our night sky's are to bright this time of year.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Beautiful work.

Actually, hasn't it made the "corner?" Shouldn't it be showing up in the NW, after sunset?

I read in the news that it had turned the corner and was supposed to be visible over the horizon after sunset as of last night.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
I believe at 47º and higher it stays above the horizon as of yesterday.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

It easily fades away with the brightness of twilight.
If you know exactly where to look maybe you could spot it with binoculars or a telephoto lens.
I wasn't able to see it anymore with the naked eye 30min or so after twilight started but could still observe it through the scope.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

I'm not that high.

This site puts it in the NW after sunset for me.

I have a mountain range in the way. One that makes a lot of clouds. So I'm hoping it'll hold together for a while, as it rises. I have folks on the other side of the island though, if they say it's worth it I'll make the drive (20 minutes).

Sounds like it's well below Hale-Bopp grade though.

Damn that's a pretty picture!

edit on 7/13/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

Absolutely Amazing! I may have to get out there and get a couple of shots but I doubt I will be as stunning as yours!

What equipment?

posted on Jul, 15 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   

top topics

join