It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.N. Predicts Rise in Cocaine Prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
A U.N. anti drug officials has indicated that the street price of coc aine is expected to rise next year. The reason for the increase is from a 6 year U.S. effort to eradicate production of the drug in Columbia. Columbia supplies more than 80 percent of the worlds coc aine.

story.news.yahoo .com [/url]
BOGOTA, Colombia - A top United Nations anti-drug official predicted coc aine prices in the United States and Europe will rise next year, reflecting the fruits of a six-year, U.S.-funded effort to eradicate drug production in Colombia.

Last year was a record-breaking year in the fight against drugs in Colombia. Authorities destroyed more than 340,000 acres of coca, the plant used to make coc aine; nearly 150 tons of coc aine were seized; and 1,098 clandestine coc aine-making factories were discovered and burned down, according to the Colombian government.

"Considering Colombia supplies 80 percent of the world coc aine market, we think prices are going to rise starting in 2006," said Sandro Calvani, director of the U.N.'s Office on Drugs and Crime in Colombia, in an interview with The Associated Press on Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I applaud the efforts in Columbia, more needs to be done at home as well. If you can put a crimp into the market or the consumer you also will see a benefit. Supply and demand works both ways. While our prisons are getting over crowded, perhaps its time to bring back the Work Progress Administration. Instead of serving jail time, you go into the WPA and work on infrastructure projects in the community.

[edit on 3/15/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
haha, interesting. I think the best question is why does the U.N. know this, and does coc aine have it's own stock in the NYSE? should i sell or buy? But seriously, i think the powder nosed U.N. is a little nervous about the rise in prices, that means they have to delve deeper into their pockets that were illegal filled in the first place

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Ryanp5555]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Let me play the conspiritor here:

Is this Kofi Anan singing the praises and the fruits of the usa government War on Drugs to get his son off the hook???

what will he do next, deliver evidence against syria ?

Prices go up, does that mean it stops snowing in the u.s, will there be a switch to meth or will crime such as robberies even increase to pay for the more expensive coke ?

I don't know, but I wonder what public response they hope to evoke or what agenda needs to be supported ?

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silenus
Prices go up, does that mean it stops snowing in the u.s, will there be a switch to meth or will crime such as robberies even increase to pay for the more expensive coke ?

Intersting and an angle I had not thought o. Meth is becoming a bigger problem everyday and if we see a migration from coc aine and crack to meth its going to get bigger yet.

Urn

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
[edit on 15-3-2005 by Urn]

Urn

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Urn

Originally posted by Silenus
will there be a switch to meth or will crime such as robberies even increase to pay for the more expensive coke ?

probably a little bit (or possibly ALOT) of both, unfortunately......

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Urn]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Meth is horrible. I know people who ruined thier lives on the stuff. Back in the 90s you had to go to certain clubs and whatnot in order to get the stuff but now adays it's readily available in schools, as it is more profitable then Marijuana and now that Coke prices have gone yup it will be even more profitable and become more attractive price-wise. Cocain prices will stabalize I'm sure hollywood will manage
Bleh I personally don't know how ANY one can shove # up thier nose and inject it into thier viens. It goes against everything I was taught...

new topics

top topics

join