It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skunk in the henhouse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I just wanted to share my farm woes.
A few weeks ago, I saw a skunk and 3 babies right before dark making a beeline through the pasture for my barn. She was apparently determined and on a mission, headed for my barn door. I started yelling, throwing gravel and sticks at her, she kept coming. Finally about 10' from me, she stopped, looked at me, then turned around and headed for the back of the barn.
Sure enough, the little witch came around the other side of the barn, still headed for the door. more yelling, sticks and rocks and she decided to go into a small overgrown area behind another barn.
The smell of skunk was ever present in and around my barn every morning since.
My dog got sprayed right in the face while I was bushhogging, she got her about 20' from my animal barn in broad daylight. hmmm. And yes, my dog still smells a bit despite the use of extensive de-skunk products. She'll probably smell every time she gets wet until 2021.
Then last night I went to lock the chickens in, I was making sure they had food and water for morning and while I'm in the little henhouse (about 8x10) the damn skunk ran out from under the laying boxes, right past me and out the chicken door. !!!!! I can't believe I didn't get sprayed.
So now I'm on a mission, the skunk and her kids totally have to go. I've set live traps, which I really hope don't catch her because then i have the terror of relocating her.
I've read ammonia soaked rags in coffee cans can be a deterrent, I'll put a few of them out.
I tell you what, it's always something on a small farm. last winter was rats in the crawl space, this spring rabbits having babies under my deck. It's a constant battle to keep the wildlife out of my humble abode.
I guess this turned into more of a rant.
If anyone has any skunk deterrent advice, bring it on.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I had the same thing as a kid. They were after the eggs.

Not sure how to get rid of them humanely, but tomato juice kills that smell.

My wife is British and she nearly vomited the first time she smelled one. We ran over some roadkill....

a reply to: horseplay

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24
Haha, it is a very lingering pungent aroma.
I collect the eggs every day, and double check at night but I suppose it's looking for some anyway.
I put the cat food away at night, they don't seem to like chicken feed.
This thing is just horribly nosey and persistent, it even found a small opening into my tool barn and I can smell that it's been in there every few days. Absolutely nothing to eat in there. That reminds me, I should fix that board today...

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
not to sound insensitive, but this is why you have a .22 rifle around. Skunks are trouble and "relocating" them is much more trouble than just ending them. If you aren't sure if it's humane, ask your dog for his blessing.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
not to sound insensitive, but this is why you have a .22 rifle around.

.308 just to be sure.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
A friend of mines dog used to tangle with a skunk every day or two.One day I was deer hunting up behind their house and his dad said to shoot the skunk if I saw him.Sure enough,about dark I spotted him and the .30-06 did its job.Tom was happy to get rid of him.Next day I was back,he said "Don't shoot no more skunks,wind changed last night and blowed that rascals scent down here all night.Laughed so hard I nearly cried.Sure miss him,he was a good old guy.If you have to shoot it better bury it.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I love the smell of skunk.. It probably has to do with a Certain varietal I indulged in during highschool.

Me and my ex used to drive around the back roads spreading that scent far and wide airing out the auto after a good ole fashioned clambake ...

I swear if they sold a skunk cologne I would spring for a bottle..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

not to sound insensitive, but this is why you have a .22 rifle around.

.308 just to be sure.

I suppose being sure you got it is important. Perhaps a few claymore's and some C-4, just to be sure?

But I do like they way you think.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I have heard rumors of such things.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I suppose being sure you got it is important. Perhaps a few claymore's and some C-4, just to be sure?

I just have to remember to follow the directions on the top of the Claymores.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Senior prank... Somebody.. Not I.... Put some skunk stank in the ac system at our high skool. The whole building was evacuated for three days.

a reply to: Mike Stivic

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

we recently removed a beaver dam with tannerite. I didn't feel it was overkill at all. Funny thing is, when you blow the dam, do it from upstream. Got me a soaker.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Please tell me you recorded that and please also tell me you'll text it to me.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I'll link to it in a PM. Facebook.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

sent

it rained beaver.
edit on 11-7-2020 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   

One could only wish.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Ah, haha. [rimshot]

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

We don't have skunks in UK but im curious how bad they smell!

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
oh, hell I would love to see that too. Please ??
I got no issues with shooting it if I see it again, but then I have to deal with the aftermath

top topics

<<   2 >>

join