It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defund failing public education that is refusing to actually educate our children

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There is a widespread movement among school administrators, the teachers unions and liberals, to keep schools closed in the fall.

If the virus and school closures have taught us anything it is that the online education offered by public schools is a total joke.

My elementary school granddaughter received last spring for her online education, exactly one worksheet for math and one worksheet for reading everyday. That is NOT an education. My high school granddaughter received NOTHING from her teachers until my daughter complained. Then she finally got ONE assignment from ONE teacher, to "think" about how the virus was affecting her life. That was it. The public school online education was terrible and I live in a district that is considered to be in the top 100 in the nation.

If school doesn't open in the fall these children will have lost a year or more of education. Teachers and education administrators love I'm sure getting a paycheck for doing very little work at home. I imagine they will fight to keep the schools closed all year, next they will say that until there is a vaccine or cure school won't resume - then when the seasonal flu hits they will demand to close schools again now that they have a taste for getting paid for doing very little at home.

We will then have an entire generation of children who will have lost a year or more of education and may never be able to catch up.

This clearly shows us that public education is a total failure and joke if what my grandchildren got is any indication.

My daughter got books and forced the young one to do additional work at home. She is the exception. Studies showed that 40% of parents did not have their children even look at the online education even if they had internet and computer access. Then our school system said that grades for online work would not count, and they only graded on work completed in the classroom. This meant that no child actually had to do the online work at all. This is the education that public schools think is adequate.

The schools failed our children in the spring and now plan to fail them in the fall. Just like the police have failed, the schools have failed and they must be defunded and the money given to the parents for alternatives to public education.

Parents should be given the amount the public school spends on each child as a voucher. Then the parent can purchase really good online educational material (it is out there), or send their child to a private school, or even pay to return to the wretched public school system.

Taxpayers should not be wasting their money on a failing system. So just like the police, the public schools must be defunded and a better alternative put in place.

If schools decide to only educate 2 days a week, then taxpayers need to receive 3/5 of their money back that they have paid into the public school system. Taxpayers should not pay for children to be educated when they are not being educated. The "supplemental" online materials won't be even touched by 40% of the students, we know this from last spring. The "supplemental" online materials will probably be as much a joke as they were in the spring. Taxpayers should not have to fund this.

The public school systems have now shown the public how broken they really are.

The public school systems have now shown parents like my daughter that they can do a much better job home schooling their children than the public schools do. Without the drug and violence and bullying problems that are rampant in the public schools because they are not allowed to discipline students (which is why another of my children quit being a public school teacher and now works in a private school).

We have now all seen the truth about public schools and they need to be defunded, vouchers given to parents who can choose how to best educate their children. They can choose their local failing public school if they wish and probably the 40% who don't care about their children's education will.

DEFUND PUBLIC EDUCATION

edit on 7/11/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   
To be fair, public school has been failing the people for thirty years that I know of.

Likely an easy thirty more.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Trump has tweeted this issue out.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Defunding political re education camps works for me.

Home school or private school.

And give your children the tools they need to succeed in life.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Your typical working stiff doesn't have that kind of time or money...

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Timely post.

The school situation with this lock down is the one big issue that isn't getting as much attention as it needs.

My local schools shut down in late March and we had to home school our 5 year old. It was near impossible because both Mom & Dad also have demanding careers. Just because school shut down does not mean our bills and jobs did too. Not too mention also having a 3 year old with no day care options either. To the schools credit, they did do three days a week of 1 hour Zoom meetings with the teacher though.

Now the school system is saying they will likely just do two days a week in the fall. This still doesn't address how parents are supposed to juggle this and their jobs.

The other thing that doesn't make sense to me is that we know kids are the least affected by this Covid nonsense. So why the rush to shut down the schools? Secondly, it would be far safer to have the kids at a known entity with consistent social distancing / decontamination policies than forcing a substantial number of parents to have to put their kids in random day cars multiple times throughout the week because the schools are part-time.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Education is a primary reason we see the disconnect we have in our society these days. The funding of education is terrible in the sense how the money is spent. Then there is the problems of teachers unions who ensure terrible teachers have jobs and no incentive to good teacher to improve. On top of a curriculum which is and has been corrupted by political ideologies.
In the city of Chicago for example, some of the highest paid teachers in the nation with under performing schools, low attendance, bad neighborhoods which require,safe passage,to and from school, lower than average grade point averages, lower than average graduation rates.
That's the educational side in Chicago

www.cnsnews.com... s-department-education-79-chicago-8th-graders-not-proficient-reading

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: americanbuffalo1
Education is a primary reason we see the disconnect we have in our society these days. The funding of education is terrible in the sense how the money is spent. Then there is the problems of teachers unions who ensure terrible teachers have jobs and no incentive to good teacher to improve. On top of a curriculum which is and has been corrupted by political ideologies.
In the city of Chicago for example, some of the highest paid teachers in the nation with under performing schools, low attendance, bad neighborhoods which require,safe passage,to and from school, lower than average grade point averages, lower than average graduation rates.

www.cnsnews.com... s-department-education-79-chicago-8th-graders-not-proficient-reading

Democrats are against school choice and charter schools.

This is one of those issues that I cannot understand how the black community in particular, continue to supports Democrats on. Our community suffers the most from these piss poor schools yet we support the part that wants to keep this system in place.

The public school system works for those who can afford to move to an area with good schools. It doesn't work if you don't have that option and Democrats want to keep you trapped in the poor performing local school.

Chicago is broke because of teacher pensions. THere is absolutely no reason public school teachers need ot have such lavish pensions or even an union at all.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

The schools are not equipped, nor do they have the monies available to function on the simplest most basic level. Throw in the the added expenses that would be required to bring children safely back into the classrooms, and I don't see how it can be done.

Add to that the unhealthy and unsafe practices of having active children having to wear masks all day, and their constant exposure to chemicals in the process of keeping them safe.

They will also need triple the number of staff to manage the decrease is class and transportation limits in regard to safe distancing.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

The schools are not equipped, nor do they have the monies available to function on the simplest most basic level. Throw in the the added expenses that would be required to bring children safely back into the classrooms, and I don't see how it can be done.

Add to that the unhealthy and unsafe practices of having active children having to wear masks all day, and their constant exposure to chemicals in the process of keeping them safe.

They will also need triple the number of staff to manage the decrease is class and transportation limits in regard to safe distancing.

Children are practically immune to Covid.... hell anyone under 70 years old is unless you are an unhealthy sack of pus.

Go look at the data. There is no statistical reason whatsoever for schools to be shut down. We don't shut schools down over flu, SARs, h1n1 or whatever else and those affected children far more than Covid.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

originally posted by: neo96

Your typical working stiff doesn't have that kind of time or money...

Then they are free to send their children to the failing public school system with the vouchers given to each child to be used for a good quality online education for parents to homeschool; or a private school. Most private school tuition is much less than what the public system currently spends per child.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

So what is your solution? Quit educating children altogether? That is what many school systems around the nation seem to be doing while keeping the tax money and paying administrators and teachers full time salaries for not educating children.

Give the money to parents to purchase a quality online education or send their children to open private schools.

But it seems your solution is to keep kids ignorant at home and have a lost generation of children with no education because the public school online education was terrible, worse than terrible last spring and will be again this fall.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Democrats are against school choice and charter schools.

This is one of those issues that I cannot understand how the black community in particular, continue to supports Democrats on. Our community suffers the most from these piss poor schools yet we support the part that wants to keep this system in place.

The public school system works for those who can afford to move to an area with good schools. It doesn't work if you don't have that option and Democrats want to keep you trapped in the poor performing local school.

Chicago is broke because of teacher pensions. THere is absolutely no reason public school teachers need ot have such lavish pensions or even an union at all.

You are right Democrats are firmly against school choice.

They are also the ones who want to keep schools closed and children uneducated.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   

You are right.

This is the best argument I have heard for defunding public education yet.

Public education is wretched and what we saw in the spring proved to parents just how wretched and how poorly their money is spent.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   
If a District or a Teacher is too scared to open/teach, they should not get money/paid until they do.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

One of my best friends is a teacher in CPS. Sometimes talking with her is like we live in two different worlds. Time and time again I show how education directly influences how people engage with society. How the choices people make are determined by what they embody and a good honest well rounded education will allow better choices which will bring about better society in so many respects.
Every student in public education needs to have a universal framework which is the same support for every student, rich, poor, black, white, brown or green. High income zip codes low income zip codes and all zip codes in between If we truly want to call ourselves a free and equal society this shouldn't even be questioned.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt
To be fair, public school has been failing the people for thirty years that I know of.

Likely an easy thirty more.

All the more reason to defund.

Let the money per child rest with the child and not the school system. That way parents who care can purchase a really good online homeschool program, or send their child to a private school that actually educates the children.

If you are for defunding the police because alternatives are better
then you MUST be for
defunding public education for better alternatives!

edit on 7/11/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Since American students rank "in the middle" when it comes to testing scores, and the U.S. spends more per-child than any other country, there needs to be changes.

U.S. Students not the brightest: www.pewresearch.org...

There must be some combination of societal reasons, and spending inefficiency, causing this.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

One of my best friends is a teacher in CPS. Sometimes talking with her is like we live in two different worlds. Time and time again I show how education directly influences how people engage with society. How the choices people make are determined by what they embody and a good honest well rounded education will allow better choices which will bring about better society in so many respects.
Every student in public education needs to have a universal framework which is the same support for every student, rich, poor, black, white, brown or green. High income zip codes low income zip codes and all zip codes in between If we truly want to call ourselves a free and equal society this shouldn't even be questioned.

I believe schools reflect the communities in which they serve. This is why schools in poor areas tend to be worse than those in middle class / wealthy areas.

Schools in poor areas tend to do poorly because the parent are often uneducated themselves and the schools become glorified day care / juvenile detention halls with a bit of social work services thrown in. Schools in wealthier areas tend to not have these issues as much as most of the kids come from two parent households and whose parents have stable lives.

It isn't just money though. It is the attitude of the community. For example, in NYC, Asians tend to be poor but still outperform everyone at the best public schools because culturally, they put an emphasis on academic success above everything.

The reason I support school choice is that those on periphery in bad school areas can benefit from having a choice. I am living proof. I grew up in a two parent household but we were not wealthy and couldn't afford private school. I was a smart kid and my parents gave a damn. Unfortunately, my local high school was a sh*tshow because it served mostly kids from the hood (fights everyday, even making the news.... they combined three rival high schools into one). My parents didn't want me going there so they were able to get me into a program that shipped me half way across town to the one of the wealthiest school districts in my city. It would be like the equivalent of being shipped from somewhere on far southside of Chicago to Wilmette to attend New Trier.

Kids whose parents want better for them should have a choice.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I did not say it was a solution. I just pointed out some of the issues that the teachers, I know, are concerned about.

Schools in many areas have always been underfunded, this is one on the reasons that many think the system is inferior. So to completely defund the schools will make the system worse.

I don't have children in the school system, i have friends and families with school aged children, most of them have not made up their minds which way they will go. I don't envy them having to make that choice. Several of my family members were already home schooling so it won't effect the previous home schoolers much.

Even my friends that are teachers are not sure what is going to happen, they are taking a wait see approach.

As far as children being immune, I have not seen any data I trust that claims that. I have seen a lot of data that says that not just children, but for 98% of the world population, if they did become infected with the virus, they would recover. Some people don't want to take that risk for themselves or for their children. Therefore, I support the decision each person makes that meets their needs, and the needs of their family.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join