It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm 39, I'm at the cusp of the age for military service

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Yes.

Don't join the military unless you're willing to deploy.

When I joined the army I was ready, willing, and able to deploy. That's what you sign up for. If this isn't for you then do not join.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Vector99

Yes.

Don't join the military unless you're willing to deploy.

When I joined the army I was ready, willing, and able to deploy. That's what you sign up for. If this isn't for you then do not join.

He is 39...that's the give a way. He'll learn, at that 1st interview. And they'll tell him the same ...
edit on 11-7-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I just don't want him to waste his own time.

It would be better if he started taking Jiu Jitsu lessons instead and then go on to take serious tactical weapons courses.

That way he can get the training, get the physical stuff out, and satisfy the itch of wanting to do something adventurous. I'm all about military service, but if you're not willing to enter hell then don't even approach the gates.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

a reply to: mysterioustranger

I just don't want him to waste his own time.

It would be better if he started taking Jiu Jitsu lessons instead and then go on to take serious tactical weapons courses.

That way he can get the training, get the physical stuff out, and satisfy the itch of wanting to do something adventurous. I'm all about military service, but if you're not willing to enter hell then don't even approach the gates.

Yes sir! I'm going w mid-life crisis. It happens...

And a forty-ish enlistee...in a world of 20-somethings...it's why we have an age limit

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Look, Vector99, I was not very clear and too short with you to have been of value. I apologize.

I spent 4 of 6 years in the US Army and all I ever did was conduct training specifically for upcoming deployments. It was never a question of "if" but "when."

1 year after arriving at my first air assault unit we were off to Afghanistan. I documented some of that experience here on ATS. My time in AIT was also documented as well as a bit of basic training. I always knew I was going to war and if I didn't want to go to war then I didn't belong there. I accepted the risks that came with chasing that experience and off to war I went.

I was injured in Afghanistan and then spent more than a year rehabbing and trying to get myself back on flight status. It never happened. In 2016 I was medically discharged from the US Army. I would have stayed longer if I could have. In the nearly 2 years that I could not fly, I became the maintenance manager for my flight company, and I then became a technical inspector just before separating. I left well-decorated, accomplished, and half-broken.

I wasn't even an infantry soldier. I was a door gunner and crew chief in an air assault company. I was shot at quite a bit, rocketed, and had other interesting things shot at me. I was part of some amazing missions and a whole lot of unnatural insane # that someone with cold feet about deploying would NOT be able to deal with. I wanted to go and it still #ed me up quite a bit and this is the price I was and still am willing to pay for all that I have experienced, learned, and endured.

It is not fair to the men and women you will deploy with to not want to be there. This # isn't only about you. Joining is your decision, but very few things will ever be endured in isolation from that point forward. Your empathy switch needs to be turned up to 11. The military is not a robot-making organization. If you want to lead in the military you have to be able to follow. If you are to lead, then you must first and foremost recognized the humanity of those under your leadership. There is no other way. That means being ready, willing, and able to always be there with your troops, your teammates, your brothers and sisters in arms, to fight together and sometimes get hurt and die under the Flag.

It's just not about you.

You would be signing up (figuratively) to be the last 500 meters of US foreign policy. If you cannot handle that on an ideological basis, then you cannot be a member of the military. It's about the Nation, it's about the will of the voters and the policies the civilian leadership expects you to carry out, and it is the people to your left and right to whom you owe your full commitment and acceptance of the great responsibility laid in front of you.

As I said, if you're not willing to go through hell, don't even stand at the gates. That fire will burn you.
edit on 7 11 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

The healthcare sucks. Expect to be told to take motrin for everything. Dental sucks too. They'd rather pull a tooth than fill it.

Don't for get "Hydrate and change your damned socks!". Pretty much cures everything......

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Hey, you guys ...thanks for your service.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Look, Vector99, I was not very clear and too short with you to have been of value. I apologize.

I spent 4 of 6 years in the US Army and all I ever did was conduct training specifically for upcoming deployments. It was never a question of "if" but "when."

1 year after arriving at my first air assault unit we were off to Afghanistan. I documented some of that experience here on ATS. My time in AIT was also documented as well as a bit of basic training. I always knew I was going to war and if I didn't want to go to war then I didn't belong there. I accepted the risks that came with chasing that experience and off to war I went.

I was injured in Afghanistan and then spent more than a year rehabbing and trying to get myself back on flight status. It never happened. In 2016 I was medically discharged from the US Army. I would have stayed longer if I could have. In the nearly 2 years that I could not fly, I became the maintenance manager for my flight company, and I then became a technical inspector just before separating. I left well-decorated, accomplished, and half-broken.

I wasn't even an infantry soldier. I was a door gunner and crew chief in an air assault company. I was shot at quite a bit, rocketed, and had other interesting things shot at me. I was part of some amazing missions and a whole lot of unnatural insane # that someone with cold feet about deploying would NOT be able to deal with. I wanted to go and it still #ed me up quite a bit and this is the price I was and still am willing to pay for all that I have experienced, learned, and endured.

It is not fair to the men and women you will deploy with to not want to be there. This # isn't only about you. Joining is your decision, but very few things will ever be endured in isolation from that point forward. Your empathy switch needs to be turned up to 11. The military is not a robot-making organization. If you want to lead in the military you have to be able to follow. If you are to lead, then you must first and foremost recognized the humanity of those under your leadership. There is no other way. That means being ready, willing, and able to always be there with your troops, your teammates, your brothers and sisters in arms, to fight together and sometimes get hurt and die under the Flag.

It's just not about you.

You would be signing up (figuratively) to be the last 500 meters of US foreign policy. If you cannot handle that on an ideological basis, then you cannot be a member of the military. It's about the Nation, it's about the will of the voters and the policies the civilian leadership expects you to carry out, and it is the people to your left and right to whom you owe your full commitment and acceptance of the great responsibility laid in front of you.

As I said, if you're not willing to go through hell, don't even stand at the gates. That fire will burn you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This! Awesome post, could not agree with you more.

I don’t agree with most of your posts, but this is spot on! You have to be ready to work as a team with others. If you cannot do that, you shouldn’t waste your time trying to sign up. There is a selflessness to being in the military. Selfish people won’t last. I spent 20 years in the Navy, eight active and 12 as a drilling reservist before retiring. The biggest lesson I took from that was teamwork, leadership, and being there for others. And being ready for anything. If the OP would rather not be deployed, he has no business going into any military branch.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Not in the US military, but the security industry may have similar markers.

Nothing more annoying than an older guy who keeps on going: "It's my age, you should have seen me when I was 25".

Rolls eyes.

Flip just do it and shut up bro, we don't want to hear about how you did it better in 2008.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Interesting (I'm an old fart, but just checking):

For men ages 17 to 21, that means performing at least 35 push-ups and 47 sit-ups, as well as running two miles in no more than 16 minutes and 36 seconds. Male recruits ages 22 to 26 have to complete a minimum of 31 push-ups, 43 sit-ups and a two-mile run in 17 minutes and 30 seconds or less.

work.chron.com...

But oddly got another YouTube source who claims some guys got into basic training with 10-15 push-ups, and women with five.

Matt Ward (well many clips on the whole process):

edit on 12-7-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I know lots of people in the army, like 20+ guys and also old veterans as well

I can only say one thing, you may be all good in health and even if you think you are more capable than someone 20 years old, that's not the problem. Problem is on your head, just by thinking the way you do, with that "i could beat any of those kids" you are not mentally healthy for army. Yes and anyone with a gun can shoot someone else, it doesn't make you better in away way, or stronger or smarter or anything but someone who got to shoot first and killed the other guy

But you probably don't get that at all You' just like want to prove you still "have it" you don't want to go there because you feel you need to help your country or give your life for it.

At this point, why are you trying to do something like that? Are you just going to drop all you did before, if anything? Just to go prove to yourself something no one cares about?

You going for all the wrong reasons, and people will know about it for sure

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join