It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spore

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Will Wright has unveiled his latest game called spore.

www.gamespot.com...

The treat was an extended demonstration of his next game, called Spore--a sim that allows the players to control life on all conceivable scales--an emergent and beautiful simulation game that ranges from the cellular level all the way to the galactic level.

The game allows the player to begin with developing a creature as a cellular entity and eventually creating a creature with more sophisticated brain functions, which will change the nature of the game to a more RTS-type game (he cited a particular favorite of his, Populous), where players will control herds of creatures. Once you upgrade the "hut" around which the creatures centralize, the game changes into what he called "a simple version of SimCity" where the player manages technology and interacts with other cities that have sprung up around the world.

He demonstrated how the player can eventually purchase a UFO to travel between planets--and eventually star systems--to populate, conquer, or simply observe. Particularly impressive was the game's emergent gameplay and seemingly infinite possibilities for playing creatively--two qualities that define Will Wright's celebrity status in game design.

Any thoughts? Doubts? I have a few but will hold back for now until I see some opinions.

Urn

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
i'm not too big on RTS games, but damn, that looks pretty interesting....

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
New video out today!

www.youtube.com...

Be sure to check this other video out as well if you're not sure what spore gameplay is actually about.

video.google.com...

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That is one game I have to get it looks amazing. There is literally a whole universe for players to exist and evolve and compete with each other. You can get in flying saucers and evolve onto other planets. I saw a demonstration vid where he blew up a planet of creatures coz they fired at him.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Here are some more links and pics.

en.wikipedia.org...(game)

www.spore.com...

1. Microbial stage, similar to Pac-Man
2. Creature stage, Diablo
3. Tribal stage, Populous
4. City stage, SimCity
5. Civilization stage, Risk and Civilization
6. Spacefaring stage, (a.k.a. UFO stage or Invasion), with some elements reminiscent of Destroy All Humans!
7. Galactic stage, which is a giant sandbox game

[edit on 6-5-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Here's the first official trailer for Spore

www.gametrailers.com...

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Here are some more video of the Spore Creature Editor.

www.youtube.com...

Here is a gameplay movie which some of you have already seen...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 10-5-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Another video demonstration.

uk.media.pc.ign.com...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I saw this game on E3 last night

OMG

I cant wait to get this game...Its like Sim Universe...the one thing every sim fan has been yearning for since Sim City and Sim Farm first came out.

And anyone with a God complex must play this game....its going to AMAZING....i just wish I didnt have to wait until 07....*cries*

But honestly....the rendering and the shear volume of the game boggle the mind. Being able to essentially make any creature in anyway you want....I mean oyu know there will be people remaking certain Cult Faveories.....Aliens, Predators, Britney Spears...the knock offs will be limitless....but think of all of the possibilies...I think this game will really revolutionize the way RTS games are played.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
hopefully, it changes the way they're built too.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents

Can you please elaborate? I see the clay form model as the best way to do it.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Here is another video.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by 25cents

Can you please elaborate? I see the clay form model as the best way to do it.

i just meant that i like the depth of the game and the ability to influence every aspect of your race/culture. i'm big on customization.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   

[edit on 5-6-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I need to get this.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
THIS IS JUST A TEST!

[edit on 8-6-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   

wii.ign.com...
IGN: Can we confirm you plan to eventually bring Spore to other consoles?

Will Wright: Well, we're focusing solely on the PC version at the moment. But we're thinking of Spore as a franchise, definitely, that will be across all platforms. Cellphones, too.

/snip

GN: Would the game need to be tailored for each system?

Will Wright: Yeah, that's something we're looking at. There are definitely things that work better on PCs than consoles. We might focus on certain aspects of the game for each version. The editors are a very big part of the game, but maybe it's difficult to navigate through them on a console. There are some things you really want to do with a mouse.

IGN: Do you have any ideas of how the game would play on the Wii?

Will Wright: We've been messing around with the Wii dev kit and we're really interested in the possibilities there. It's possible the editors might be more manageable on that system. The DS is also very interesting to us, as its control scheme could be very manageable for the game.

/snip

IGN: So, there could be cross-platform sharing? Say, between a cell phone and a PS3?

Will Wright: Yes, that's the plan.

/snip

IGN: We've heard players might be able to create underwater creatures.

Will Wright: That's actually one of those aspects of the game that's right on the cusp of being cutout. We'll have to see if it makes it in. You start out underwater, at the molecular level, so it's just a matter of whether or not you're forced out and onto land.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   
been waiting for soooooooo long.

however I want this on the PC, not on the wii, I want beeephy graphics

sorry bro I wish we could embed videos into our posts but then people would abuse that and put graphic stuff all over PTS I am sure.

Not really down for a gore gallery type video being able to be embeded.

You could embed it on your blog and link your blog here?

just a thought

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Heh, got it to work for about 10 minutes and then it became garbled. I figured it was SO's doin so didn't complain.

Also the big news I see in the post above is the fact that the data files will be cross-platform! Just imagine how large the servers will become after the first few years.

I'll be getting this on PC too. Only way to play it.

[edit on 10-8-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Thats always good. I'd enjoy pwning n00bs from the Death Starrrerrrrrrr My PC :p

hehehe

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join