It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Of The Time Being Right Is The Wrong Thing To Do

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   
ALWAYS choose being kind and compassionate over being right. ALWAYS.
And when you know, deep down in your heart, that you're right and someone else is wrong... it's because God gave YOU that knowledge to help YOU... and NOT because God needed you to tell the other person how wrong they are. God will tell them Himself, in His own way and in His own time. It's not YOUR job. It's YOUR job to be loving and kind in spite of it.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants
And when you know, deep down in your heart, that you're right and someone else is wrong... it's because God gave YOU that knowledge to help YOU... and NOT because God needed you to tell the other person how wrong they are. God will tell them Himself, in His own way and in His own time. It's not YOUR job. It's YOUR job to be loving and kind in spite of it.

That goes hand in hand with something my best friend's mother told us when we were know-it-all teenagers. It was a bit of a Southern Mama Speech, but this is still something I take to heart today, and instilled in my own kids --

"Each person's job in life is to learn and be better at being a person for their own survival's sake. Not to take it upon themselves to be an unrequested teacher to others."

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

That goes hand in hand with something my best friend's mother told us when we were know-it-all teenagers. It was a bit of a Southern Mama Speech, but this is still something I take to heart today, and instilled in my own kids --

"Each person's job in life is to learn and be better at being a person for their own survival's sake. Not to take it upon themselves to be an unrequested teacher to others."

Southern Mama knows things. Being right can be a self indulgent waste of time that often has a spirit of meaness behind it.
edit on 7/8/2020 by MissSmartypants because: Edit

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

in 30 years of marriage, I have learned one thing that dwarfs the other bits of wisdom.

You can either be right, or be happy, pick one.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

in 30 years of marriage, I have learned one thing that dwarfs the other bits of wisdom.

Sort of like picking one's battles wisely, eh?

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I say correct someone who is wrong.
But not in a self-righteous way.
"The truth will stand when the world's on fire" - my Grandma.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   

exactly, but if you say it like I did, then you may garner a little sympathy which is almost as valuable as stars and flags!

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Fighting the urge to post Steve Martin's "Grandmother's Song" here.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Nope, sorry. I'd rather be honest and true about how I feel and what I see and know than lead someone on, give them a false impression, or give them bad information.

I'd rather someone know they can expect me to be a man of integrity and be honest with them, rather than tell them what they want to hear.

I don't want to make people comfortable. I want to give them a reason to grow as a person and feel confident that they can handle obstacles and hardships.

If they want that warm fuzzy feeling they can find someone else to hold their hand.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I'm with you on this. Thirty-five years ago my future wife's uncle (ex Green Beret) said a simple phrase to me that I try to live by. He said, "Don't give no sh!t, don't take no sh!t."

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I think you misunderstood the point she was trying to make.

She meant that persisting in proving something right vs wrong can be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I understand your desire to be independent but if you're married to someone for 20 or 30 years there are a lot of instances where telling your spouse how wrong they are is a very bad move.

You might as well hand her signed divorce papers if you wanna be independent and argue about everything. Unless you enjoy misery and need company I guess...

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Hail wise & compassionate one, your words cut a chord in the air about my beating heart..

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Wrong is right?
Left is better?

edit on 7/9/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

No, I know what she's getting at. It's nothing I haven't heard before.

You aren't saying anything I haven't heard of or dealt with before either.

There's a reason why I'm single. I've been married, and after bending backwards for her for far too long realized that it wasn't worth my sanity to be with someone who constantly needed to be coddled 24/7. I got tired of being told I wasn't doing enough, or that I didn't understand when she was the one who couldn't tell me how she was feeling. When she told me she wanted to have an open marriage I divorced her.

To each their own. If you need to be with someone, or need to be in a relationship to be happy that's on you.

I'm completely capable of being happy on my own and enjoy the friendships that I have.

But, good on you for assuming that I'm a miserable being.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Awwww

If loving you is wrong,
I don't want to be right.

edit on 7/9/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
a reply to: muzzleflash

You aren't saying anything I haven't heard of or dealt with before either.

There's a reason why I'm single. I've been married, and after bending backwards for her for far too long realized that it wasn't worth my sanity to be with someone who constantly needed to be coddled 24/7. I got tired of being told I wasn't doing enough, or that I didn't understand when she was the one who couldn't tell me how she was feeling. When she told me she wanted to have an open marriage I divorced her.

To each their own. If you need to be with someone, or need to be in a relationship to be happy that's on you.

I'm completely capable of being happy on my own and enjoy the friendships that I have.

But, good on you for assuming that I'm a miserable being.

Redacted
edit on 9-7-2020 by FinallyAwake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Awwww

If loving you is wrong,
I don't want to be right.

Ooh, I know what I'm dreaming about tonight.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: FinallyAwake

Oh come on lol. At least PM me what you said.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 05:14 AM
link   

You can win a battle but still lose the war, after 30 years of marriage biting ones tongue is a habit best learned early for both;s sake.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
a reply to: FinallyAwake

Oh come on lol. At least PM me what you said.

Lol nah, i just woke up sh1tty and realised it was a sh1tty post🙃

edit on 9-7-2020 by FinallyAwake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join