It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defund the police is not about military surplus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   
As the title says, defund the police is not about military surplus. You may find yourself asking "how can that be?" The answer is very simple:

Surplus is given to police departments for free.

For those of you actually interested in what The 1033 Program is and how it works, here is a link:
www.stripes.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

Perhaps not in terms of cost, but there are plenty of other reasons that military equipment is a factor in the desire to defund the police. Mostly in terms of proper training and use of that equipment (and/or the improper training and improper use of that equipment).

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   
That isn't the problem with transferring military equipment to police forces. The militarization of the police is a serious issue in the US and one that is worth debating.

The cost of the equipment transfers is equivalent to rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. Considering the selective and ideological enforcement of law that we have seen in many jurisdictions lately, I want the police to not be a threat to me.

The transfer of military equipment is making the police a paramilitary force. This is not conducive to a free and just society and is NOT the remedy for the issues we have with police as a society.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Perhaps not in terms of cost, but there are plenty of other reasons that military equipment is a factor in the desire to defund the police. Mostly in terms of proper training and use of that equipment (and/or the improper training and improper use of that equipment).

Which is why removing the monitory means to get that training just seems a bit silly to some.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Which is why removing the monitory means to get that training just seems a bit silly to some.

Yes, but that's also where the "proper" comes into it. In Minneapolis, the police were receiving "Killology" training, and the city council/state deemed this training was improper and said "no more." But the police union said "eff you" and provided the training free to officers. When the state ordered policing policies, training and procedures to respect the sanctity of life, the police/police union said "eff you."

This is really the basis for the push to disband the Minneapolis Police Department. They put a target on everyone's back, and refused to police the people in accordance with the demands of the people.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   
had one of the wifes friends flip out on me about trump giving miltiary grade equipment to police forces, she about had a stroke when I told her its been going on since at least Bush jr without let up, so spare me your fake outrage over this now.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I just wish that people would use better wording when deciding on catchphrases and such.

Instead of saying "Defund the police!" or "We want to defund the police!" Say something like "Demilitarize the police!" Or "We want better trained police!"

But instead we hear defund the police, arguments about what defund the police actually means, since defund isn't really the right word to use, and then videos of BLM leaders saying that they do in fact want to get rid of the police.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

The people who call to defund the police mean exactly that. They want to replace the police with a politically partisan policing model that will enforce their particularly toxic notions of justice.

It's all a powergrab because all human interaction is a power struggle between the oppressed and the oppressor according to the woke mobs and the Critical Theory nonsense they subscribe to.

A late-start Bolshevik generation of losers who shun competence in favor of social "equity." That's who believes this #.
edit on 7 8 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
So the "advisors" that visit the police depts to train on this hardware do this at no-charge?

Not pushing an angle, merely asking
edit on 8-7-2020 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Oh, I know. That's why I call BS on people who support BLM and I've had lengthy discussion with my friends and acquaintances about when they say things like "Defund the police," and then trying to say that defund the police just means better training.

I show them the videos of BLM leaders saying that they actually want to get rid of the police and I'll hear "Oh, that's just some random person. They don't speak for BLM."

And I have to point out that these people, being the actual organizers, are in fact the voice of the BLM movement.

People hear them say catchy phrases like that and their brains just repeat it. When I hear someone say defund doesn't actually mean defund that's when I know there's no critical thinking going on in their mind.
edit on 872020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   

In my opinion when they began this program of giving equipment to the police in the 90's it has manifested itself into the additude in some of the general public is the enemy. SWAT teams have this same attitude just research the horrific damage that has been done in no knock warrants going to the wrong house flash bombs being thrown mistakenly into baby cribs , wrong people shot.

edit on 8-7-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: spellen wrong words

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Those calling to Defund the Police do not want that though. At all. They do not want more training. They want money funneled to social programs. Social programs that disperse monies to....the people chosen by the elected officials.

Also, the worst your city is the more funding you can ask for...in the past. It was a game that would be played and it is sick.

Let these places burn. I am sorry if you live there but it is not my fault you have #ty leadership. It is not the fault of the president. It is the fault of the mayors and governors. Blame needs to be laid where it should be.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I am actually in favor of demilitarizing the police.

Not so much in favor of getting rid of them altogether or replacing them with some commie brownshirt # either.

I'd rather see people police their own communities.

But with the current climate I don't think that's possible. People can't overcome their differences enough to look out for one another.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Did they use any of that surplus during the last two months ?

Ya know there was a real need for it.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Boadicea

I am all for funding police training for things like understanding constitutional law, the publics' right to record in public, the limits of what they can and cannot do if they find someone suspicious, de-escalation tactics, following their own policy. All to often I come across videos of officers that make up laws on the spot and violate citizens' constitutional rights for things like not ID'ing or filming in public. A lot of them seem like they are actually trained to escalate situations and to push people buttons to get citizens to cross some line so they can "assert" their authority.

Until they are trained in the above and demonstrate it by their interactions with the public I don't want to see funding for military hardware or th use of it.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Um! it was obama who gave them military equipment.
so they can blame there own.

new topics

top topics

join