It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1.2 million bail for driver that hit 2 Seattle protesters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The young man arrested for hitting two Seattle protesters had his bail hearing and bail was set at $1.2 million.

Seems high on the surface but I'm not so sure it is.
He ran from the scene.
And the status of the other victim is still pending so it might end up with two dead.

www.denverpost.com...

The current charges are vehicular assault but that could change.

After watching the video it's pretty obvious that he was avoiding the cars blocking the road and hit them by accident.
But he was blowing through the blockade and ran from the scene.
A good lawyer will argue he was worried about the angry mob seeking revenge so he fled.

So is bail to high?
I read somewhere normal bail for this is 5 times lower on average.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Considering lawyers on both sides of the issue are probably tempted to post bail themselves to score a high profile case, I can see why it's higher than usual.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I personally think that this is way overblown.
I am pretty sure that he also was trying to avoid people and that is the reason that he hit the ones that were, were not in his view. Everybody always says there are two vehicles, but there are three, all blocking the view for him, he realizes that there are people at a certain point, then swerves, over compensates, hitting the two girls, and then he stops.
He probably thinks its a good idea to get out of there, like anyone.

I also read a couple of statements that were from an official source (if I remember right) that he drove off a ways then stopped and called the police then waited on them. I have no idea if that is a real thing or not.

All in all, the main thing here is, why would any cops block off an entire highway for just a few protestors, then, allow any cars to block off the highway.
WHY would ANY protestors think that they need to be on a highway, closed or not, what purpose does that serve?
There are many other places that they can sit or protest, but NOBODY is out there at 1:30am for them to protest to.

What is wrong with this picture?

I hope and believe that get gets off.

+19 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
When I was in Drivers ED back in the good ol days, we covered what to do if there are 'animals' in the road..

Do not put your own life in danger by defensively swerving... just hit it.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LeoStarchild

Care to clarify how animals on the road equate to people on the road? It would be nice to hear your thinking on this rather than just leaving that disgusting post to stand alone.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The bail does seem high. Only guessing, but he is from a different country, maybe they are concerned he would flee.
Even If he felt it was unsafe to stop, many states would require that he proceed to a safe location, and report the accident as soon as possible.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: recrisp

I also read a couple of statements that were from an official source (if I remember right) that he drove off a ways then stopped and called the police then waited on them.

This, regardless of how the incident played out in real time would have been the right and legal thing to do. if true,it will go a long way to exonerate him, if not, to condemn him.

edit

Now reading further from the provided link, the driver did not stop and call the police, but rather he was'' stopped'' by police.

edit on 31America/ChicagoTue, 07 Jul 2020 11:24:01 -0500Tue, 07 Jul 2020 11:24:01 -050020072020-07-07T11:24:01-05:001100000024 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Drivers ed told you to hit the animal instead of running off the road and hitting a tree or rolling over resulting in the driver being injured.

People are a different story.
Miss them if possible.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Sorry to trigger you.

Do you need an explanation on how a road... for vehicular travel ... works?

its cliche - play stupid games win stupid prizes.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Yes but my rights don't end where these powderpuffs feelings' begin.
edit on 7-7-2020 by LeoStarchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

He's going to be in serious trouble either way.
He was acting reckless and people got hurt.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeoStarchild
When I was in Drivers ED back in the good ol days, we covered what to do if there are 'animals' in the road..

Do not put your own life in danger by defensively swerving... just hit it.

You may not have seen the video it was two American human beings that were hit by a car, hope that helps

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

*terrorists - fixed it for you

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Considering the driver was black the bail is way too high.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

By the lefts own standards ( if they even have any) this is rassist..

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Sidewalks are for people and roads are for cars. Except when there are people, for whatever reason, in the road. Then it is a licensed driver's responsiblity to drive cautiously to avoid the pedestrians.

Now again, would you care to clarify your equating animals in the street with people in the street?

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Read your first sentence again .. but this time at .5x speed.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeoStarchild

Yes but my rights don't end where these powderpuffs feelings' begin.

In most cases yes..
But..

You dont have the right to drive, you get the privalage.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   

If there was no ill intent, hope this person gets off.

I WOULD NEVER ALLOW someone to stop me on the highway in a dark area with a barricade. I don't care if I have to intentionally hit someone. I will NOT allow that to happen. I would first attempt to not hit anyone.

This has happened to me once. A guy barricaded a section of the highway and when i came to a slow he reached for his gun as I bolted.

# that #.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
here's a novel idea, how about charging the people that were blocking interstate. what was this like the 19th day in a row they had to close it due to protestors. i'm fairly certain that it is illegal to block the interstate in Washington state as in many other states.

when you play in the road your apt to get run over, everybody knows this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join