It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

99% of COVID cases are 'totally harmless'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
According to Trump at least. And then his COS, Mark Meadows came out to say Trump is correct. As everyone here knows Trump is never wrong.

So let's test the math, shall we? I think it's fair to say that for the 130,000 people that died in the U.S. with COVID, the disease was anything BUT harmless. Of course, we could say the same for the 250,000 people that were hospitalized and likely a number of people who never went to the hospital and rode it out at home. So, if 99% are 'harmless' then the 130,000 deaths would be the 1% that wasn't.

That being the case, 130,000 / 0.01 = 13M 'harmless' COVID cases in the U.S. If we include JUST the 250,000 hospitalized then the total of 'harmless' cases would be 38M.

13M (let alone 38M) is a touch larger than the 2.9M reported wouldn't you say?

source

source 2

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
13M (let alone 38M) is a touch larger than the 2.9M reported wouldn't you say?

My wife and I both had it as I reported back in early April but we're not counted on the 2.9MM tally and I suspect quite a few million more aren't either as they may have had it prior to the shutdowns.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

The mistake you're making is taking anything Trump says literally ... or seriously.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The mistake you're making is taking anything Trump says literally ... or seriously.

Or any politician for that matter. The vast majority of them are not doctors and don't know what they are even talking about. Why would anyone listen to a politician about something medical related? Plus, let's not forget that they are all basically professional liars whose only goal is to be re-elected.

+8 more 
link   

Since only .04 of 1% of Americans have been killed by Covid-19, it is mostly harmless to society (140,000 divided by 330,000,000), just like the many threats we face in life.

Remember, it's what the news media and TV experts do NOT say, that's most important.

edit on 7/6/2020 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

link   

Dr Robert Redfield, director of the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), told reporters yesterday: “Our best estimate right now is that for every case that’s reported, there actually are 10 other infections.”

The estimate made by Dr Redfield is based on blood samples from across the US looking for antibodies to COVID-19, reports The Washington Post.

For every confirmed case of coronavirus detected, testing also found 10 or more people had antibodies to the virus, he said.

The methodology pushes the total number of cases to at least 24 million.

link
edit on 6-7-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder
Why would anyone listen to a politician about something medical related?

I mean it's not like it'll kill you or anything. Just ask all those residents who didn't die when Cuomo stuck Covid-positive people in nursing homes.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

I think more specifically this one , most regular politicians lie using statistics or word manipulation this one just habitually lies.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Since only .04 of 1% of Americans have been killed by Covid-19, it is mostly harmless to the country.
(140,000 divided by 330,000,000)

Remember, it's what the news media and TV experts do NOT say, that's most important.

Don't you have any shame in your life? When CoVid death rate was still lower than swine flu under Obama's presidency, you were here boasting how Trump was doing better than Obama.
Now that more people have died of CoVid than of swine flu you are downplaying the numbers.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

'Cause he knows people will believe him. No matter what comes out of his mouth.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I think more specifically this one , most regular politicians lie using statistics or word manipulation this one just habitually lies.

They ALL habitually lie. You have my condolences if you haven't caught on to that fact yet.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Why would anyone listen to a politician about something medical related?

I mean it's not like it'll kill you or anything. Just ask all those residents who didn't die when Cuomo stuck Covid-positive people in nursing homes.

They did that to my ladies hospital, had to move resident seniors and all kinds of bs and dedicate a whole floor of the building to COVID patients. What do you know the death ratios in her facility went up like crazy and almost everyone there wearing the correct and appropriate PPE all contracted the virus which then led to a shortage of staff. On top of all that what about the kids and families of those that work there that also got infected etc etc. Stupid Idea

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   

“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”
― Benjamin Disraeli

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Since only .04 of 1% of Americans have been killed by Covid-19, it is mostly harmless to society (140,000 divided by 330,000,000), just like the many threats we face in life.

Trump did not say that Covid-19 is mostly harmless to society. He specifically said that "99% of cases are totally harmless". By definition, "cases" are those fraction of total infections that get clinically diagnosed. The number of confirmed cases in the US today is about 3,000,000 (a little less than 1% of the population). The number of deaths in the US so far is almost 133,000. That equals a case mortality rate of 4.4%. Trump's statement is demonstrably false.

However, if he HAD said that Covid-19 is mostly harmless to society that would be false, also. If you assume that the infection rate is as much as 10 times greater than the case rate (as the CDC claims), then that would mean that a little bit less than 10% of the population has actually been infected with the virus. Herd immunity, if it can be achieved at all, will not happen until about 60% of the population has been infected. That means that an additional 665,000 people will probably die, for a total of nearly 800,000 deaths. That's close to twice the number of casualties the US suffered in WW
II.

Do you consider WWII to have been harmless?

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Dr Robert Redfield, director of the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), told reporters yesterday: “Our best estimate right now is that for every case that’s reported, there actually are 10 other infections.”

The estimate made by Dr Redfield is based on blood samples from across the US looking for antibodies to COVID-19, reports The Washington Post.

For every confirmed case of coronavirus detected, testing also found 10 or more people had antibodies to the virus, he said.

The methodology pushes the total number of cases to at least 24 million.

link

Hmm, an estimated 10 untested, unknown cases for every 1 known and tested case.

That sure drives the death risk percentage straight down into the planet's molten core, now doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   

You're trying to apply logic to the words of a buffoon. Trump doesn't actually understand any of the numbers, it just sounds good so he says it. Most people wont get it and die, so that means 99% harmless. If you get it and never show symptoms but you get some else sick and they do, or they even die, I wouldn't count that asymptomatic case as harmless. Trump would, and is, because he's quite literally an idiot. I fought for him, mostly because the other side of the aisle has been more harmful until recently, but there's no denying that Trump is maybe the most unqualified person to ever be elected to a position in the history of the world.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Almost everyone will indeed get it without a vaccine just in the nature it is transmitted. Trump is correct big picture. Almost nobody is going to die of it when one looks further than two feet in front of their face and understands math on a basic level.

Billions of people on this planet. The deaths would have to be in the hundreds of millions to warrant this reaction so far. Nowhere near that number. Should have never shutdown the economy. The real epidemic is morbid obesity. Far far worse than this virus.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

They ALL habitually lie. You have my condolences if you haven't caught on to that fact yet.

I find it refreshing that Trump lies all by himself.

Most of them have writers.

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyinHeadlock
Almost everyone will indeed get it without a vaccine just in the nature it is transmitted. Trump is correct big picture. Almost nobody is going to die of it when one looks further than two feet in front of their face and understands math on a basic level.

Billions of people on this planet. The deaths would have to be in the hundreds of millions to warrant this reaction so far. Nowhere near that number. Should have never shutdown the economy. The real epidemic is morbid obesity. Far far worse than this virus.

Smoking cigarettes is still legal too and its not an epidemic but is?

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

What are the acceptable number of deaths during a pandemic?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join