It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gods' Emotions?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
You say, "emotions are what make us human" Then, what does emotions make God?
Mag

easier to love?

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I know it would make God easier to love, obviously. But I think your missing the point. My whole point here is to find out/figure out the difference between God and humans. I know He's completely different per say, but if He can feel emotions and we *humans* can feel emotions and express them, would that not make Him alot like us? Alot more like us then I thought? Everyone states that emotions make us human, so then if God has emotions, again, what does that make Him?
Magestica

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Emotions make us human...hmmm...I would argue that many animals present 'emotions'...I certainly know that my flatmates cat 'packs a sad' and mopes around the house if he ever goes away from home on work for a few days...

...emotions are just ONE of the many different things that make us who we are.

What does this make God?? Honestly don't know. But I do know this...any concept I try to form of God is merely going to be forged by a very limited human brain...from a very limited understanding...I mean, in my eyes anyway, my ability to comprehend just WHAT 'God' is, is almost an insult to God in a way...for I know there is no way I could ever come close to comprehending something so mammoth...

...rather...I would prefer to leave the real defining of God up to God Himself...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 06:43 AM
link   
So by what you are saying, I'd kind of gather that it's wrong in some way to try and figure/understand God? If we can and should figure out Satan so much, then what is so wrong with trying to figure out our Creator? Everyone I talk to, tells me this, that its' some kind of sin to try and understand God. But how are we to be expected to believe in Him, yet not to KNOW Him?

I hope this makes sense as to what I'm asking..I'll elaborate if need be..
Mag

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 07:21 AM
link   
...in my mind there is no sin whatsoever in attempting to increase our understanding of God...and I'm sorry if I gave that impression, perhaps my choice of the word 'insult' wasn't a good word choice at all...I'll try to explain that a little more. Sorry if my explaination starts to wanders off with a little story, as I have a habit of trying to highlighting points through little stories...as you well know...but sometimes its easier to show a point without directly/initially going straight at it...or maybe it simply ends up confusing people more

Anyway:

Ummm...okay...now we have this cultural thing called 'Manuhiritanga' within my culture. Manuhiritanga basically means 'Host hospitality', how we treat our guests...visitors etc...who should be treated with the utmost respect and shown much honour and consideration.

See...if someone visits my house, they are shown the utmost respect and pretty much anything I have is at their disposal...I will try my very best to provide anything I can for them, make sure they are comfortable, offer food/drink whatever to show honour to them. In a way, there is almost a sense that anything I may do, anything I may provide...the guest is still worthy of more. Hope I'm explaining this well enough...but basically its about treasuring someone, again 'honouring' them. We may do our very best for them...but always there is the sense of that person being so special that they are worthy of that and more...ya know.

So...in a way...our understanding of God...God is sorta worth more than what we can understand/provide. So really...we are NOT disrespecting Him by trying to understand Him...its just that any understanding we may come to, He is greater than that.

Your question of how we are to believe in Him, yet not KNOW Him:

Okay...there is someone who is very special to me...very...I have an understanding of them which is growing more and more every day. But I haven't yet got a total, full, complete understanding...but I know, I believe, a clearer understanding will come over time. I believe in them...I trust in them...they have my heart. They have that belief/trust/heart even without me fully knowing them. See...I know enough about this person already to have faith in them...faith that will only grow as my understanding of them grows.

Will I ever achieve a full total understanding of this person?? Who's to say...time will tell...but the understanding I may lack wouldn't stop me believeing in them.

...hope that made some sense...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I completely understand everything you've said Alien. I can see how you are referring to people we don't really know that well or understand that well, yet we can still feel love growing within for them. Heck, I don't even understand my mother *yet* but I just know that I love her and always have..It's just a knowing inside me that I can trust her and believe in her and stand by her through anything, even give my life for her to live..

*BUT* with God it's soooo different. He is God after all, He doesn't sit and chat with us we can't see Him-in the physical sense..SO I think we should know Him or have every ability to get to know Him. I find that if there is a question about God and someone cannot answer (not meaning you) then they just say, "it's just a knowing inside" But what about those who are lost and searching? Wouldn't it help to know God to be closer to Him? Perhaps, we all walk around in a cloud *thinking* we know Him and love Him and that's all that matters..when really we should be asking questions about who He is and what He does and where He is etc..When you ask, you are curious enough to care, to become closer to someone, in this case God.

According to the bible, alot of those in the bible knew Him, talked to Him, and even saw Him. What is so different about us that we can't know Him as they did? Are we less important? So of course it would seem easier for most in those days to believe, because when they doubted, they were shown an unbelievable sign or something from Him. What about us? Now? We are just expected to read the scripters and feel Him within us and that seems enough...that just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe we are the ones that are wrong? I know I've rambled ALOT..I didn't even stop to re read..so forgive my spelling and rambling. Hope I made some sort of point..

Thank you for your thoughts and words..
Mag

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 08:05 AM
link   
...hard headed...and thats one of the many things ya got going for ya Mags...so don't let anyone dissuade you from that...

Ya know what...I agree with you. I don't find a whole lot of 'faith' within scripture...scripture just doesn't 'do' it for me...I find more faith in God through looking out the window, through looking at nature...through just taking time to listen, to smell, to sense the beauty around us...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If God did not feel hurt or love for mankind then He would not have come down as a man .....taken flesh and be born to sacrifice Himself for all mankind!

Mankind sinned as early as they were put on this earth.....and they broke the one commandement of God......To not eat of that fruit.....by doing so man has brought death upon himself and lost the true conncetion with God......

God decided that the only way to save mankind was for Himself to come and show us the way.....His life and His teachings and his death on the Cross for all mankind has given us the New Testament to follow......to fullfill the Old Testament ......He conquered death with the Resurrection......Babtism ,confession , and the body and blood of Christ is offered to us in Christianity.......
If God did not feel at all then He would have left us .....like the poem ''footprints '' sais..

~Footprints~
One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed he was walking along
the beach with the Lord.
Across the sky flashed scenes from
his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand, one belonging to him, and the other belonging to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed
before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand.

He noticed that many times along the
path of his life there was only one set of footprints.
He noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it.

Lord, you said that once I decided to follow You,
You'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints.

I don't understand why, when I needed you most, you would leave me.

The Lord replied "My son. My precious child, I love you and would never leave you.During your times of trial and suffering,when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Author unknown

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
If God did not feel hurt or love for mankind then He would not have come down as a man .....taken flesh and be born to sacrifice Himself for all mankind!

I don't understand this
I do not connect God and Jesus as being the same..

Other then that I thank you for sharing your opinion Helen
I have read footprints before too..it's a lovely way of looking at God...I'm still undecided about this, guess it's just not possible for anyone to really know, because again, everyone thinks of God in a different way. And everyone describes God differently...
Mag

top topics

<< 1   >>

join