It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISRO's Mangalyaan Captures Image Of Phobos - Biggest Moon Of Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Bengaluru: The Mars Colour Camera (MCC) onboard Indian Space Research Organisation's (ISRO) Mars Orbiter Mission has captured the image of Phobos, the closest and biggest moon of Mars.

The image was taken on July 1 when MOM was about 7,200 km from Mars and 4,200 km from Phobos.

"Spatial resolution of the image is 210 m. This is a composite image generated from 6 MCC frames and has been color corrected," ISRO said in an update along with the image.

ISRO's Mangalyaan Captures Image Of Phobos, Biggest Moon Of Mars

Not the greatest image of Phobos. MRO took images like this one, around a decade or more ago.

ESA was also in on the photoshoot with it's orbiter, MEX. The ESA's MEX images are similar to NASA's images. The orbiters and cameras are also similar.

Phobos

It's not really about the images imo. It's about ISRO being able to take this pic with MOM. I am sure, it is not an easy thing to do.

I think ISRO may win the ongoing race to land a unmanned craft safely on Mars. Has China got pic's of Phobos from orbit yet?

posted on Jul, 5 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

I think ISRO may win the ongoing race to land a unmanned craft safely on Mars. Has China got pic's of Phobos from orbit yet?

Interesting. As far as I know, the first successful lander to accomplish a soft landing was the Soviet Mars 3 mission back in 1971.

It's nonetheless a great achievement for any country to get that far and place a probe in orbit around Mars (while also snapping a picture of one of its moons). Undoubtedly, India plays in that league of countries of which there are only very few.

Space exploration is tough, as we all know, so glad that ISRO accomplished this and even beamed down that nice image of Phobos!

edit on 5-7-2020 by jeep3r because: formatting

posted on Jul, 5 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

As far as I know, the first successful lander to accomplish a soft landing was the Soviet Mars 3 mission back in 1971.

Russia won many of the early space races. Just not the one that mattered.

This is a new race between India, China, Israel and Russia (did I leave someone out?). Looks like India is winning at this time.

NASA may not even make it for 2020. Their launch window was cut in half, it's gonna be tight.

edit on 5-7-2020 by LookingAtMars because: spelling

posted on Jul, 5 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

even if the picture is not very exciting and there is not much i can comment on, such threads are a pleasant counterpart to all the other threads dripping with hate and contempt here on ats. and you inevitably ask yourself why we humans can't get along with ourselves. all of life and all that surrounds us is a miracle. and nobody lives forever.

fortunately, there are still the inventors, discoverers, astronauts, physicists, scientists, visionaries etc. who spend their time on productive things and explore the universe.

posted on Jul, 5 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Phobos monolith mystery

i0.wp.com...

edit on 5-7-2020 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

India should have used American-made Imaging systems, instead of relying on their own.

posted on Jul, 5 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

The Phobos monolith is very cool.

The Mars monolith is even better IMO.

Mars monolith

posted on Jul, 5 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

India should have used American-made Imaging systems, instead of relying on their own.

Are you calling potato camera on India?

They knew where to point it and when to click it. If they want to look at images of Phobos, there are plenty of American-made Images.

top topics

join