It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bundling of things in a single package - Issues and Problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Now something for a change -- Bundling of things in a single package.

[ I put this post in the "General Conspiracies" because I think we're dealing a very pernicious conspiracy here, camouflaged under the cover of "convenience, modernism and technological advancement" ].

Someone here said "Convenience is what destroys civilization". How true that is! There have been more and more cases especially in recent times, where in the name of "convenience", bundling in a single package of the wanted and unwanted components is becoming more and more frequent by the day and people are left with two options: take it whole or leave it. This bundling brings its own set of big issues, among others it's the lack of choice (see below) and I think this is by design.

Some examples:
- Politicians bundling their laws in one big package, where a single vote takes place. Latest example, in Russia, the new amendments to the Constitution (more than a hundred of them), were bundled together, where people had to vote with simple yes or no for the whole package without having the choice over individual amendments, vote some, leave some.
- Software update bundling their smaller updates in one big package, like Microsoft for example. The IT field is filled with such examples.
- Selling of a modern machinery with great options, but also some that are not needed and cannot be disabled when you need to. Example, a well-built car with touch-screen only controls that not everybody wants. Or a fridge or washing machines with cameras and other sensors that I don't need and which could very well set the trends for the future.
- Etc

Now, for the pros:
- Simple and easy procedure, take it whole or nothing.
- Convenient and it looks good.

Cons:
- Restricting of our choices to bare minimums.
- Whenever you're dealing with a bundle it's harder to identify the faulty component and eventually fix or remove it.
- The longer time it takes to undo the damage it does to our systems, if it's possible at all. And also more expensive as a result.
- It's harder to track who's the individual liable party for a faulty component of the package, since we're dealing with a single bundle now and the responsibility is singular.
- Etc

I think this is an intentional and evil trend of these modern times.

What do you all think about this single packaging, how widespread is it? Any other examples that affects deeply people's lives?

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I always order ala carte when I can.

"Bundling" of laws has been common practice for a while. In a way it's a means for Congress to make compromises with each other. But instead of giving something up, you just offer the other guys something they'll like.

I've liked Microsoft Office since I first used it. The integration is very useful. And intentional

Cars. Yeah. It's been a long time since I bought a new one. Definitely a lot of stuff I'm not really interested in. Also intentional.

Evil? Nah. Unless you consider capitalism to be evil.

edit on 7/3/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I bought and Arrow metal building for a well shed years ago. Flimsy as sheat and ten thousand nuts, bolts and washers for every hole in the damned thing. Had to paint the top of it last summer.

I could have welded it together faster if it hadn't been so flimsy.
edit on 4-7-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: miri2019.

I hate it when they bundle my chopped live and toilet paper together, it drys out the liver./SARC

edit on 4-7-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Maybe a bad design/ material issue, it reminds me of the junk that IKEA sells, where I have to add my reinforcements onto it, but they got some good stuff too.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 04:30 AM
link   
@Phage - at least there's something (cars) where you see problems. Thanks for your contribution.

@PhilbertDezineck - "chopped liver and toilet paper together" ?? You can do better than that, could have spared your unnecessary sarcasm. Try harder next time.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is one of those things that has become so common most people just accept it. Pernicious is a great word for this problem, it has become a strategy for everything from products to politics. The larger problem is we adapt to this phenomenon by accepting it as inescapable and become part of the faction pushing it.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I agree about the bundled laws (pork-pockets) but to have a vote on every item? We'd be a the polls daily lol.
I also think it's designed that way as Phage mentioned to keep both sides happy.

Now about that line-item veto...

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

That's right, people are almost completely oblivious to the fact that these things are changing right in front of their eyes, and they're like "what the heck, I'll adapt!" or "that's how technology (or other things) work!". I remember a thread here that's stuck with me, where a user here bought a GM truck that needed updates and during that time it was totally unusable. This begs the question, can you buy that truck with the option of not having updates disable your vehicle? I doubt it. Can you imagine having your car ready for any emergency and it doesn't work because it needs some frigging updates??!! This is pure BS!

Here's the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

Actually in politics the vetting of individual laws is not our average Joes' job, but of the special political groups, assuming they're doing their job as required. But nowadays we can't trust them. When it comes to us it's really too late, it's just take it or leave it, and if we leave it they'll make our lives miserable.

new topics

top topics

join