It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Places More Restrictions on Religion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

I guess Utah really wanted to be a state.

But then,

Reynolds v. United States, 98 U.S. 145 (1878), was a Supreme Court of the United States case that held that religious duty was not a defense to a criminal indictment.

en.wikipedia.org...

You can't say it's your religious right to break the law.

There was no law it was a religious practice before the law. They used Abraham as an example for their religious practice.

And we aren't talking about a law, are we?

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   

There was no law

Incorrect
en.wikipedia.org...

They used Abraham as an example for their religious practice.
So what?

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
cant anywhere be a church/mosque/synagogue?

Technically or legally?

My body is technically a church, so is my home, but it's not legally tax exempt for such purposes.

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

There was no law

Incorrect
en.wikipedia.org...

They used Abraham as an example for their religious practice.
So what?

It says the act was enacted against a specific religion hinder their free exercise of their religion.

Here refute this the indigenous people of the south west practiced the religious rite of eating payote until theythe government made it unlawful.
edit on 3-7-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: added thought

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   

It says the act was enacted against a specific religion [to?] hinder their free exercise of their religion

No, it doesn't say that.

Here refute this the indigenous people of the south west practiced the religious rite of eating payote until theythe government made it unlawful.

(2) since 1965, this ceremonial use of peyote by Indians has been protected by Federal regulation;

www.law.cornell.edu...

But again I should remind you, there is no law against singing in Church.

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   

It says the act was enacted against a specific religion [to?] hinder their free exercise of their religion

No, it doesn't say that.

(2) since 1965, this ceremonial use of peyote by Indians has been protected by Federal regulation;

www.law.cornell.edu...

But again I should remind you, there is no law against singing in Church.

Cannibalism is outlawed can they say the living host of the catholic church could be outlawed.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
I feel like this belongs in a political forum, but whatever.

So California has placed more restrictions on religion.

Apparently, despite allowing protestors to scream and shout and get in people's faces they want to ban choirs and congregations from singing, and reduce attendance to 25%.

www.cnn.com...

Offering plates and other items that are passed amongst each other are also banned.

ktla.com...

www.sacbee.com...

www.fresnobee.com...

Right leaning sources.

www.foxnews.com...

Holy books, prayer rugs, hymn books not allowed to be shared.

www.fox10tv.com... c02-8c82-5e52-8701-5dbcf21cb239.html

This is the most insecure strawman argument in the lunacy.

This isn't anti-religion - it's anti death and destriction.

You have the right to put yourself in danger - but you have no - read that again - no right to put others in danger.

I don't think your Jesus would ask followers to endanger others to come to a meeting and responsible churches are finding other ways to minister to one another.

edit on 4-7-2020 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
The heathens finally have their dream come true. They get to relentlessly kick Christians to the curb under an umbrella of legitimacy, even though it is not legitimate by virtue of their own hypocrisy.

Who's hypocrisy?

Projection much?

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

ya, I meant technically

though, if a person claim that their body is a churches, does that person still have to play tax?

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 06:48 AM
link   
the constant balancing act between personal freedom and government control is a hard one.

I get the impression that California democrats really hate Christianity and are using this virus thing to punish and restrict.
Merryland has similar restrictions.

maybe I'm wrong. maybe it's purely a safety issue. but its hard for me not to be suspicious of Sacramento's motives.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   

a reply to: ElGoobero

Funny meme.

Hurr. Memes is smart.

I has SKILLZ!!!
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add content

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
40 years ago I thought for sure the religious right would take over and limit the rights of the rest of us. Today I feel like an idiot seeing what has happened. The hard reality is the religious right weren't just being paranoid, communism is very real and seeks power any way it can. The truth of it is both extremes are the real danger to the rest of us who just want to be left alone but political power doesn't work for the center.
edit on 4-7-2020 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
If a group needs a building to practice their religion, what exactly does that religion represent or preach?

These directives are not attacking religion in any way. Faith will always be what people maintain and express. This just targets buildings.

my 2c

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I guess you missed all the post where I've stated I'm not a religious person, huh?

I merely wanted to point out the hypocrisy, and yall wanted to make it all about religion, and bars, and now telling me I'm insecure.

You guys are ridiculous.

Edit:

You put yourself at risk by going outside even with a mask on. Especially those stupid homemade masks.
edit on 472020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
The heathens finally have their dream come true. They get to relentlessly kick Christians to the curb under an umbrella of legitimacy, even though it is not legitimate by virtue of their own hypocrisy.

Christians love to feel persecuted. They get off on it. Us versus them. We must be right or why would they hate us! Their primary idol is a tortured man. Christianity is maybe the most masochistic of all religions.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I'd prefer if no one died.

I just want people to take covid19 seriously and take precautions to keep themselves and others safe.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   
limited government, personal freedom

It's not about Christians its about anyone to the right of AOC, Gavin even looks like the villain in a bad 90's movie where the soldiers dress like Nazis.

LA is for Liberal Aholes

I've never seen so many signs about illegal fireworks and police helicopters and so many random fireworks as last night, people are pissed - tonight will be fun.
edit on 4-7-2020 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
Educate me then. Otherwise your statement is purely trite in nature.

Go on. I'm willing to change my stance if you are able to convince me that I'm erroneous.

Do you honestly not understand the meaning, the concept of Liberty? See the 1st (Right to assemble), 5th (Right to Liberty may not be deprived without due process of law - and no, EOs are not due process of law) and 9th amendments. If you cannot deduce on your own from there, then no amount of convincing will work on you.
edit on 4-7-2020 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: AutomateThis1
I just want people to take covid19 seriously and take precautions to keep themselves and others safe.

Florida, which locked down very late and opened early, had about 15 deaths per 100,000.

New York, which locked down early and is still locked down, has had 15)+ deaths per 100,000.

Lockdowns don't save lives, they take lives.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

By precautions I meant masks, hand washing and social distancing.

Speaking about Florida. Looks like we have 11K+ new cases in Florida. We will see how that opening early works out for our state.

www.worldometers.info...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join