It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus outbreak linked to East Lansing bar tops 100

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   
We talk a lot about how the media is pushing the fear narrative but this article really shows how that's true, even with the less-biased media.

Coronavirus outbreak linked to East Lansing bar tops 100, officials take emergency action

The headline makes it seem like it's a horrific scenario until you get into the article a ways:

EAST LANSING, MI – Positive COVID-19 coronavirus cases traced to an East Lansing bar have climbed to 107 a week after health officials warned the public about possible exposure.

The outbreak has prompted the Ingham County Health Department to issue an emergency order to reduce restaurant capacity to 50% or no more than 75 people, whichever is fewer

Ok, I can live with that. There appears to be a very serious problem with this particular location. Oh, they limited ALL restaurant capacity, not just this location.

Health officials first warned of the exposure site on Tuesday, June 23, when there were 14 known COVID-19 coronavirus cases associated with visits to Harper’s Restaurant and Brew Pub between June 12-20. The following day, the case total jumped to 25. The day after that, 51 cases had been identified. As of Monday, June 29, there are 107 positive cases linked to the bar.

Yes the number of people infected is horrible at first glance, but let's look a little deeper:

Of the 107 people infected with the virus, 95 are primary cases, meaning they visited Harper’s during the exposure period, the health department said. The remaining 12 are secondary cases, which means they were in contact with someone who visited the bar during the exposure period.

Wait - 95 were already infected when they went there? According to many, that's just irresponsible behavior! They should be skinned alive and set on fire!!! The actual infections FROM people in this bar are twelve. Yeah that's bad, however, they've been keeping an eye on these youngsters:

All the people with cases linked to Harper’s are between 16 and 28 years old, the health department said. None of them have been hospitalized. Most have mild symptoms. Twenty-eight are asymptomatic, which means they don’t have symptoms but are contagious. At least 40 percent are Michigan State University (MSU) students or recent graduates.

Hm... So it was a bunch of young people thinking they're invincible. Those heathens!!! Wait, no one has been hospitalized? most have mild symptoms and some - a full 25% have no symptoms??? How can that be? After watching Sen. Paul's interaction yesterday (or monday?) with Dr. Fauci, it appears that younger people are NOT as susceptible to bad symptoms as was previously stated before the hysteria, and that they likely aren't as infectious as previously stated. That is from Fauci's statement this week, not just my opinion.

This though is a continuation of the fear factor -

Even Harper's patrons who test negative for the virus should continue to self-quarantine because there is a possibility of false-negative results, the health department said.

False-negatives? Come on people, can't we do better with testing? It's not like this is a complete mystery, they know what it is. The false readings is a sham caused by inadequate testing materials. I wonder how good the tests are from other countries?

What say you?

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

The details blow the narrative ... Again media going tilt for a fact that the virus is still around, more contagious, but less lethal.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   
What I found interesting in the whole situation is the spread. I'm from the general area so there have been a lot of articles. It was noted that after this there was a spike in a wealthy area outside of Detroit. Apparently one of the bar patrons went home, then had a big bonfire while having symptoms, in turn infected something like 20 people, one of those people had another party and in turn infected more people. The majority of the people infected are aged 18-23.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Wait - 95 were already infected when they went there? According to many, that's just irresponsible behavior! They should be skinned alive and set on fire!!! The actual infections FROM people in this bar are twelve. Yeah that's bad, however, they've been keeping an eye on these youngsters:

It says they visited during the exposure period, not that they were already infected.

There's a timespan when the virus is first thought to be getting passed around and they visited the location during that period. An assumption is made, based on data, that they contracted the virus from that location because it's probably the only outbreak location in that area.

You used to have to actually sleep with someone from a bar to have a fair chance of catching a virus. Now if you go and have a drink you can catch one. At least this one doesn't cause painful lesions in your private area and brand you a sexual pariah for life. It only has "mild, flu-like symptoms" for the majority of the infected and no symptoms for some.

Similar to the genital warts virus, HPV. Men are usually asymptomatic and carry it for life. It gives women genital warts and ovarian cancer.

HPV (the virus): About 79 million Americans are currently infected with HPV. About 14 million people become newly infected each year. HPV is so common that almost every person who is sexually-active will get HPV at some time in their life if they don't get the HPV vaccine.
Parent disease: Sexually transmitted infection
Infectious agent type: Virus

www.cdc.gov...

Have you got your HPV vaccine? Unfortunately, there isn't one for HIV, Herpes or Hepatitis although none of them are airborne respiratory viruses. Needless to say, no matter how much I'm trying to buy overpriced drinks and blow enough for a couple of bottles of liquor at the ABC store to meet a female, I won't be going to the beach bars this summer.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel

It says they visited during the exposure period, not that they were already infected.

They were talking about those that were infected being at the restaurant during the day that others were infected, hence "exposure period". Yes, they were already infected when they went there.
edit on 1-7-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Knee Jerk Reactions = System Overload (intentional) 🎃

Budget Shortfalls = Federal Gifting (as they wish) 😃

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Thanks for taking the time to showcase what is going in these cities. Nobody was sent to the hospital out of over 100 cases but bury that detail deep in the story.

The ones that had hangovers suffered more than anyone else. If they were protesting though they would be applauded and nobody would mention any of them getting it protesting. Protesters are immune from police, wearing masks and even getting the virus. They can do whatever they want. Everyone else gets restricted and shamed.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
That's... not what it says. 95 caught it at the bar, and 12 people who didn't visit the bar have caught it from those 95 so far.
edit on 1-7-2020 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I don't pay attention to anything the media says regarding this virus anymore. I still don't wear a mask, I still don't sanitize my entire body, I still don't walk around in a full body condom, I still shake hands on a daily basis without washing afterwards, I still go to the grocery store and push the germ infested cart through the store without washing my hands afterwards, I still rub my eyes, and I still don't have the coronavirus and neither does anyone in my family or circle of friends.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
That's... not what it says. 95 caught it at the bar, and 12 people who didn't visit the bar have caught it from those 95 so far.

Exposure period = the date all of those people were in the bar at the same time.

The 12 people that caught it that were not part of that group were exposed to it BY that group of 95 that were there while they were already infected.

Does that make more sense? The wording of the article could be misconstrued if you're not looking closely.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

That's exactly what it says.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I live in the 3rd or 4th largest city. Pop close to 2.4 million. Since this started 600 and change in deaths. Of that low number most were already sick from something else so now we are talking about a few hundred and change at best.

out of almost 2.4 MILLION PEOPLE. The good news is most of us know this is not right. You don't scorch earth an entire golf course over a few moles unless you like classic movies with Rodney Dangerfield and Bill Murray.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

That's your prerogative. I think people like myself are more cautious media or no. I personally know 5 people that have had it. One at the beginning late March who could not get tested at that time. All of them were not hospitalized but were sick for 3 weeks and were very scared at times during the illness as they felt so extremely ill. One has it currently and is now on meds for Pneumonia and going into her fourth week of being ill.

I work the corporate side of one of the big 3 automakers. 3 people in our building passed away from it. At least 3 more had a parent or spouse hospitalized. 2 of my daughters school mates lost a grandparent. Her coworker lost his 18 year old daughter to it.

I definitely don't want to get sick, but I worry most about passing it on to my parents. They are healthy for the most part but are in their 80s. My anxiety rises wearing a mask but I only have to do it when I'm shopping, so if it can help keep myself and others healthy I don't mind doing it.

I really don't see that it infringes on my rights.

I also know of people who went to local protests. They wore masks and kept hand sanitizer on them, and of course the protests were outside.
edit on 1-7-2020 by frogs453 because: added

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

"I really don't see that it infringes on my rights"

Freewill to do what you think keeps you and your loved ones safe? It absolutely doesnt. I dont think anyone would argue that it does.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

I should have clarified that. If a store has a sign that says that you must wear a shirt, shoes and now a mask, I don't have a problem with it. If it becomes mandatory everywhere while shopping I still don't have a problem with it.

Essential workers take enough crap from the public as it is. If me wearing a mask can avoid them losing weeks of work or hospitalization because I was sick and sneezed or coughed or transmitted it before I had symptoms then I'm happy with that.
edit on 1-7-2020 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

My Wife is front line "essential" worker. Its how we both got Covid back in Jan. Its how I got most of my colds and flu's over the past 10 years. People in general give zero craps about store workers when it comes to their health and passing on something. Its not ever going to change. I've accepted it, its a part of life, I moved on. I dont expect every single person to wear a mask Covid or not. Its part of the dangers of living. Despite already having had it I still social distance in public, I use sanitizer. I would NEVER tell you to not wear a mask. Keep yourself and your Parents as safe as you can.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

Yeah that's too bad for you and your wife. Glad you are good now. I have an essential worker in the house as well. One of my other daughters manages a store as well. Not grocery though. She said although masks are required she will not put herself in jeopardy by refusing service. She wears it and asks them to step back while assisting them.

Stay safe.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Made me laugh! Same with myself and family and we have worked around people all through this. None of us have heard of anyone who got it either.

I am starting to see a division in society between those who had to keep working being chilled and back to normal while those privileged enough to get a government sponsored holiday to stay home and absorb mainstream media being uptight and terrified.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo
Made me laugh! Same with myself and family and we have worked around people all through this. None of us have heard of anyone who got it either.

I am starting to see a division in society between those who had to keep working being chilled and back to normal while those privileged enough to get a government sponsored holiday to stay home and absorb mainstream media being uptight and terrified.

My wife is also an "essential" worker, she's a head cook at a school. After schools were shut down she and a handful of others worked to pack amd distribute breakfast and lunches for the free/reduced kids and their families until the normal school year would have been done. Since she's around elementary kids all school year I'm surprised we haven't been sick more often but anymore we rarely are. Neither of us have had any symptoms of covid but there are few cases in our area to begin with so it's hard to say if we have been exposed or not.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I don't pay attention to anything the media says regarding this virus anymore. I still don't wear a mask, I still don't sanitize my entire body, I still don't walk around in a full body condom, I still shake hands on a daily basis without washing afterwards, I still go to the grocery store and push the germ infested cart through the store without washing my hands afterwards, I still rub my eyes, and I still don't have the coronavirus and neither does anyone in my family or circle of friends.

COVID-19 has claimed 112,311 U.S. lives. Thats higher than the 104,404 troops who died in every war since the start of the Korean War in 1950.

But yeah, just because I don't have it than it must be a hoax

top topics

<<   2 >>

join