It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's the balance?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Not having guests over regularly has put a damper on my harvesting as well.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

Since when does using a coaster put anyone in harm's way??? NEVER!

For all your talk of respect, and dismissing folks as just "silly" or "defiant," your deafening silence on the harm face masks impose on so many reveals more than a lack of respect and regard for the wellbeing of others, it actually betrays a cold and callous disregard for anyone else's suffering.

As long as you feel protected, just %$^&* everyone else, right?

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnoxMSP

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: BrianFlanders

A grocery store is private property and can dictate policy, a public street isn't and people can GFT if they have a problem with me not wearing a mask outside.

I used to visit the local farmer's market every Saturday until they made it mask required for being outdoors, I voted with my money and go elsewhere now.

THIS!!!!

My local Target enforced masks (they do not now), so I now shop at the local grocer who is 10 mins away instead of 5 mins away, who didn't require masks. Works out better anyways. Meat prices are cheap at the local as they get most of their meat here in Florida or the SE, and target jacked up the price on all their meats.

If I don't like something I vote with my ballot and my wallet. I don't burn it down.

Wait - what??? That's so 2019!!!

I haven't been into Menard's since they started enforcing their mask policy. I go to Home Depot where I have a choice.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
I go to Home Depot where I have a choice.

Home Depot is mask required, I've also stopped shopping there.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

I understand your point, but also feel it's rather silly. I also hate wearing masks, I have to wear them 8-9 hours for my job, so when I'm outside of work I never wear it unless someplace I want to go requires it. To be so mad that you stop giving business to a company over a mask does seem rather folly, imo.

So what if you're over a friends house and they tell you to use a coaster for your drink?? Do you use a coaster, or do you stop going to that friends house because you don't believe in coasters?? To me, it's a similar concept and a matter of respect. If you respect your friend, then you use a coaster. If you enjoyed shopping at that farmers market, then wear a mask for 10-15 minutes, or however long you would be there shopping. Do you not respect the people there enough to even do that?? I mean, you said you used to visit there every Saturday, did they not earn even that amount of respect??

It's not the same, if you don't use a coaster there is a high probability that you could ruin the finish on your friend's furniture. Wearing a mask outside is ridiculous if you're not talking to someone face to face. Even then it's so improbable that one of you will infect the other the risk is minuscule. You could more easily trip on an uneven surface in the outdoor produce market and fall, causing untold injuries.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: HalWesten
I go to Home Depot where I have a choice.

Home Depot is mask required, I've also stopped shopping there.

They have to post it here as it's an order from our Governor, but they won't say a word if you don't wear one here. I've been several times over the last six weeks and most of the customers aren't wearing a mask.

edit on 30-6-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

I love inconsistent policy, it makes these decisions so much easier to understand.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Right?

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Being Libertarian is believing in the freedom to choose- even if that choice isn't always the best choice available.

I am a Libertarian and I am also extremely vulnerable to Covid-19. I choose to live my life unmasked (except when I need to go somewhere that requires masks for entry) and also to live as normally as possible. I know that I could catch a virus and that it could possibly kill me. I could also get plowed by a big truck or a train on my way home from the store and it could kill me. I could get a wicked bacteria from some produce I brought home from the store and die. I could get bitten by a brown recluse spider that's hiding in a pair of pants I put on (again!) and possibly die. Etc., etc...

The point of all of this is that I am responsible for me just as you are responsible for you- that is the Libertarian way. If you are worried about spreading/catching virus take precautions and limit your activities- that is your right. I know the risks and have chosen to limit my precautions ( I do stay several feet away from people and wash my hands frequently) because I choose a more normal life- as is my right. Morality need not be involved, everyone's business is their own.

As far as the "crazies" and not publicly denouncing them? Unlike the the other parties who use idiot extremists to further their agendas we just don't care. Idiots are going to be idiots as surely as the sun rises and sets, as long as they aren't trying to set somebody's house on fire or rape Grandma it's their own business.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I would like to tell you where you could put that mask, but I been trying to be nice to everyone lately.

A strong libertarian party is exactly what we need. As with any party you will have some smart people and some stupid idiots.

I'm not worried about catching/spreading the covid19 flu bug. If you are just stay home let the rest of us enjoy our freedoms. I mean come on, if all of us non mask wearing people are wrong we will die off and all you scared pansies will have no one left to fight for your rights.

Sounds good no?

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Drywall Mask.?.

Sorry, no fn way to balance this one out bub.
You're on your own.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Next they will claim to cure headaches you will need to jump in their oven for "only 1 minute, we promise."

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Let's take this down to the nitty gritty. Your basic premise is that we need "smart" people to tell us the right thing to do.... such as wearing masks.

Nope. My basic premise is you should be smart enough to figure it out for yourself that wearing a mask is the right thing to do. Nobody should have to tell you that wearing a mask is a smart thing to do in the middle of a pandemic that consists of a deadly respiratory virus.

Literally as soon as I heard about this virus the first thing I thought was "Ah hell. I knew I should have bought more than one mask before everybody in the world was looking for masks!". Because I had seen the situation that happened with the fires in California and I had not considered a scenario where a person might need a mask. So I bought one N-95 mask for each member of my family. That was when I could get them for 5 bucks a piece (and they were the real thing).

Anyway, I don't think of myself as being all that smart but even I started wearing a mask as soon as I heard about the virus. I did not wait for the "experts" to figure it out and recommend everyone wear one. It just made sense to me that even a very basic one was better than nothing.

So no. My basic premise is the exact opposite of what you think it is. You shouldn't need anyone to tell you the obvious. You should be able to own firearms without waving them around in public and scaring the hell out of everyone just because you think that's the best way to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights. If you want to keep your 2nd Amendment rights, that's the last thing you should be doing.

The Libertarian position allows for and empowers each of us to do what is best for ourselves. The authoritarian position demands that everyone does the same thing knowing that it will harm some while protecting others.

How is wearing a mask going to harm anyone? Again, if you give exceptions for people who have breathing problems or something and literally CAN'T wear one. How is it going to hurt you to wear one if you survive and literally suffer no ill effects from it? If you had read what I wrote you would have seen that I already addressed that and said that obviously, people who literally can't wear one would be exempt (but it would still be dumb of them to be out and about because they are literally the people who need the most protection from it because if they get it, they will probably not fare well).

Anyway, I also pointed out that this thread is less about masks and more about the fact that the dumbest people in the libertarian crowd are usually the ones who end up on the news making every libertarian look like an idiot.

"Oh look at those idiots threatening people with their guns! That's exactly the kind of person who shouldn't be allowed to have a gun, right?"

Do you really want those guys being the people who represent you on TV? I don't. I believe people have the right to own guns but I don't think people should be marching around in front of government buildings with them just because they can. Those people don't speak for me. Those people are against my interests because they are sending the wrong message about people like me.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What happened to my body, my choice? I agree masks are necessary in certain conditions and falls upon the individuals in the circumstances to know when, but being told 24/7 wearing masks is the "right" thing to do sounds naive.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nivhk but being told 24/7 wearing masks is the "right" thing to do sounds naive.

Where did I say that?

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nivhk
What happened to my body, my choice?

That would be fine if getting the virus only destroyed you but getting it has the potential to kill every member of your family and anyone you come into contact with. And you might not even know you have it. Which I'm not even sure why I'm having to explain this, since it's well known.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Libertarianism is a great concept. Its a terrible real world philosophy.

That said, wearing a mask is a morose flash point. Our country is founded on a principle of personal liberty and individual responsibility. I take Remicade and am immune supressed, as well as immunocomprimised. Im definitely high risk. So what do i do? I take personal responsibility. If i see folks without a mask on, i just avoid them. PUlled up to a Circle K last Thursday night. Store was literally full of ummasked folks, and only 1 clerk trying to fight through it all. I decided that its not their job to protect me, its my job. So i put my truck in reverse, backed out, and found a store on my route that was less crowded.

Beyond that, some dude standing in the middle of the street alone without a mask is a risk to no one.

While I may not carry my AR out of the house, its rare that I don't have some firepower somewhere. I hae actually bought an ankle holster to carry another one. No one would ever know though.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The fascists have embraced their fascism full force. It's crazy what a couple months will do. They now want big brother to force you to put things on your face, shut down your business, and fine or detain you if you do not COMPLY. Quarantine healthy people, and push propaganda down our throats. Then if you do not agree you are ignorant, or don't care about your fellow man, because OMG the plandemic!

How about I care about my fellow man so much that I don't want my children, and their generation, to grow up in a world where it is normal for their Government to run their lives. It starts with small steps.

I will not be herded, nor will my children.

#RESIST

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

If you're wearing a mask and someone else chooses not to wear one, why are you hyperventilating about it? You have on your mask, ffs. If masks "work", then you are protected. Mind your own business and let others mind theirs.

Wear your mask till hell freezes over and you should be okay, right? Don't worry about the guy not wearing one.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Sorry, I wasn't implying you said it. I'm new to posting and referring to those in MSM outlets and their kind who talk about things in an all or nothing sum.

I understand there's a need for masks in situations, but just as this is a new virus, so is people's reactions to it. I was merely asking a question.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join