It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness is bigger than materialism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:02 AM
link   
When you think about the subjective me experience, it's the only think we can't extract ourselves from and examine. It's bigger than the material universe and you can't quantify it or examine it from outside of consciousness.

We can look at and examine things like Biology. We can put cells under a microscope and examine it. We can send a rover to Mars that will send back data about the composition of Mars.

You can't put my conscious subjective experience of eating Spaghetti under a microscope. You can't examine it like you can the composition of Mars.

Consciosness is the only thing in the universe we can extract ourselves from and study it from the outside.

We can study the brain itself. We can study different parts of the brain, slice it and look at the inside, we can say when x happens this part of the brain lights up.

What we can't say, is he had this subjective experience when eating steak or she had this subjective me experience when she went on vacation in 2012.

In fact, you can only say I'm having a subjective experience. There's no way to scientifically quantify anyones subjective me experience. I can be the only one having a me experience and everyone else are philisophical zombies.

You can even study things like good and evil from outside of good and evil.

You can say he helped 100 homeless people eat, get shelter and find a job now theyre all productive members of society. That's good.

You can say a serial killer killed 12 people and that's evil or bad.

You can see these things from without. You can't say that she had this subjective me experience when riding a roller coaster at an amusement park. The most we can do is take her word and that's not even good enough to describe her subjective me experience.

This is because the conscious me experience is the only thing in the universe we can't extract ourselves from and study from without. It's outside and bigger than materialism.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Experience + Time = Perspective

Looking back we extract what we need from our experience. In cases of trauma we block what we have to, to protect an ideal version of ourselves.

Materialism keeps us from having to I include the painful parts of perspective. Also is to point to something perfect, and attach our identity to something that needs no perspective, it’s real it is what it is. No drama no trauma.
edit on 30-6-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Personally I still think consciousness, the mother of all experiences, is a energy-field and I strongly believe that the main issue in finding it is it's not electro-magnetic and that's all we "see".
I believe it's the same type of energy-field as gravity and there'll be a third in that group that will show us the "fabric of space-time".

I mean if we'll ever be able to pull our head out of materialisms ass.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Tesla is hell bent on proving you wrong..
Selling souls, illegally downloading souls, he's about it.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:05 AM
link   

It seems to me that we reflect on (examine) the experiences of our human condition by creating art in general and stories specifically. Storytelling is basic to who we are and an effective way to "build bridges" to one another.

Some would say that consciousness is really all there is anyway, so the distinction between it and the physical are an illusion. Here's an interview I highly recommend on panpsychism.
edit on 6/30/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Sady, nothing exists for materialists that cannot be quantified using material interactions - because of this the philosophical monism is at a dead-end.

-MM

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
There's no objective principle to be applied to a subjective experience.
I can't examine your consciousness empirically - But you can.
You're not a disinterested or uninfluenced observer.
Your observation will be subject to quantum effects.
But that doesn't mean you can't apply intellectual rigor into examining your 'state of mind'.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Consciousness: The weightless, massless phenomena responsible for all societal achievement that refutes hard scientific materialism by its own very existence.

new topics

top topics

join