It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube bans Stefan Molyneux, David Duke, Richard Spencer, and more for hate speech

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
So there's another thread about the reddit bans that was posted today, but this also happened so I thought I'd post a thread.

www.theverge.com...

YouTube has banned several prominent... channels, including those belonging to Stefan Molyneux, David Duke, and Richard Spencer.

Other channels banned include American Renaissance (with its associated channel AmRen Podcasts) and the channel for Spencer’s National Policy Institute

I have to say, I honestly don't know who these people are, but, I was always taught that if you believe in free speech, you'll stand up for other people's right to speak. Personally, I'd rather be able to speak my mind and let idiots speak their mind so I can judge their speech for myself than have someone dictate what I or other people should say.

I know, the first arguments will be 'private company...blah blah bull# don't have to give platforms to blah blah' but, that argument is just sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the very real reality that a very small handful of people and companies are slowly gaining control over public opinion and thought and silencing any and all that stand contrary.

I understand in the case of at least Stefan molyneaux, the ban is related to sexist tweets or some such thing. Now, I remember when Alex Jones got taken down, personally I can't stand the psychotic mother #er, but I argued against this at the time, and the excuse was hard to argue with, dude did some pretty #ed up #. But, the excuses are getting flimsier each time this # happens and honestly the issue is larger than individual youtube channels being shut down or people being deplatformed.

Over the last 20 years, the business of information distribution has been devoured, consolidated and conglomerated into massive entities that control horrendous amounts of not only the information we see, but the way we communicate with eachother. Treating these entities as 'private companies entitled to do what they want within the law' is harmful to society as a whole.

These companies are massive and have more wealth and power than many countries. They're capable of leveraging an entire country and changing laws just by refusing to do business in those countries. These are not the people we want having control over what, you, I or any of us say. Whether we all agree with each other, think what the other person's saying is hateful or whatever, it is not in any average person's interest to let these companies dictate what it is acceptable to say on the largest public platforms in existence, literally ever in the entirety of human history.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   
You didn't know who Stefan M. is?

He's one of if not the most prominent modern philosophers of the day.
edit on 29-6-2020 by Tempter because: sp

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Not on YouTube...lol

Heaven forbid somebody has their sensibilities ruffled...

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I Tried to raise the same point ( even though david duke is a bad umbre) But like you said these prehistoric republicans are just gonna say private company private company. if you dont like it go some where else.

I tried to tell them this issue is more complex then just private company

This is the biggest issue, stopping big tech in their tracks!!

We need President Trump right now to make some moves. If you are not gonna stand up for this Trump, what are you going to stand up for.

edit on 29-6-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Why do people use google in the first place???
OMG, they are banning people LOL
Wake the hell up and quit using it, screw youtube, I get my content from other sources.
Lets let google and youtube just die already!!

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   
We have prehistroic archaic conservatives who dont know or understand how big this issue is with Big Tech.

You can keep saying private company private company

But oh you will only get it when they come after your boy Rush.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

when they come after your boy Rush.

WTF??
Are you mentally ill too??

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Wake the hell up and quit using it, screw youtube, I get my content from other sources.
a reply to: DrumsRfun

This is part of the problem as well . lets just walk away and big tech will just die out. So we have one or two people walk away meanwhile the rest of society is stilll using Big tech.

You walking away is saying that this behavior is okay

edit on 29-6-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

WTF??
Are you mentally ill too??
maybe. I am really upset we are not doing enough on this issue.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I really do agree. I can't stand the bitching and moaning. Google is not the internet and neither does it own it FFS. Seriously WGAF about google. Like any other irritant, just ignore it, sooner or later it'll go away.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I am trying to wake you guys up!! YOu guys are like the Ents in Lord of the Rings they at least got it when some of the tress got taking down. You would think we would get when some of the voices get silenced and banned.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   

know, the first arguments will be 'private company...blah blah bull# don't have to give platforms to blah blah' but, that argument is just sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the very real reality

Ignoring the reality that it's a private company? I mean that's it. Private. It's a private platform. If you don't like it, move somewhere else or start your own one. For years we've been told by conservatives, free-market capitalists and the like that this is the beauty of the market, of a true free society. We were told this on the arguments for businesses refusing services to gays for example. If this is what you proclaim to be, if this is your ideology, stick to it, keep consistent.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

You being a dummy saying this is ok....please go read some books.

Youtube censors people, google censors people.
You are too dumb to understand that....I get it.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

which books would you like me to read? obviously from my above post I have read Lord of the Rings. thats like three right there.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Attention Please

Please keep it civil and the topic is not each other. Ever!

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

And ATS censors people if they get to potty mouth, our bring up the topic of preferential treatment; because it's a private company, they pay the bills and rent the store.
edit on 29-6-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Duke is the grand whoohah of the KKK if I remember correctly. While they're in the mood for banning, they can ban all the BLM members that are saying kill cops, kill whitey, etc. along with their heroes Jesse and Al. And let's not forget the uber-anti-semite Farrakhan. If they're not banned for hate speech then it's not fair.

*sigh*

Google was a great idea until they figured out they could not only get rich off people's ignorance, but then when they figured out they could control elections and viewpoints they went full speed ahead. F 'em.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Google was a great idea until they figured out they could not only get rich off people's ignorance, but then when they figured out they could control elections and viewpoints they went full speed ahead. F 'em.

Any power Google has over you is power you give them of your own free will.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Even Trump is getting posts removed from twitter and accounts suspended.

Here is the latest.

Twitch, the livestreaming platform, said Monday it was suspending President Donald Trump’s channel for “hateful conduct,” in what appeared to be the first deliberate suspension of one of Trump’s social media accounts.

The site, which is owned by Amazon, said two recent streams on Trump’s channel violated its rules. One stream was of a rebroadcasted 2015 campaign event in which Trump made comments about Mexico sending drugs, crime and rapists over the border. The other was of his recent rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he talked about a “very tough hombre” breaking into a woman’s house at 1 a.m.

Twitch suspends Trump’s channel for ‘hateful conduct’

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

And ATS censors people if they get to potty mouth, our bring up the topic of preferential treatment; because it's a private company, they pay the bills and rent the store.

To be fair, i've had a few posts removed, but only when i've just literally straight up insulted someone with some really downright non-constructive, mouthy sarcastic #. Though, ATS policy on thread removal can be dubious. Those times when i've been more heavily into ATS and refresh the front page every half hour or so, you see some curious threads vanish without explanation. Occasionally the op makes a new one questioning the removal that gets taken out pretty quick, but i have yet to see any real transparency from the mods outside the occasional half-assed explanation. Furthermore, if you go back and look at some old 2005-2008 era threads, there were multiple threads about so and springer and the kinds of people they associate with and a bunch of people who were banned for bringing this up.
edit on 29/6/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join