It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activist Gary Chambers took on Schools Board Members over Robert E Lee

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: pteridine

Ok. Maybe the solution is to rename all schools that have confederate names for a Republican gun owner. Harriet Tubman.
Then there is that other Republican, Martin King.

Not in disagreement with any of the above instead I could recommend many others, cuz , this is not about which party was the party of racist POS SHTS!..back in the day...Vs today ... in my Fukem all attitude POV in my current state of mind.

Yes, there are others of merit.
The biggest problem that I see is the deliberate suppression of the poor of all races by inadequate, watered-down education. The Dems destroyed the black nuclear family by making them dependent on handouts and "free stuff" as designed by LBJ. Inner city schools failed the citizenry and the failure of the black nuclear family through welfare has resulted in children without strong parental presence, leading to gangs substituting for parents. The culture is something we can lose without compunction; all one has to do is to listen to the lyrics of rap garbage.
Our education system needs to be overhauled. Until there is equal education and opportunity in academics and trades, there can be no chance of reversing things. Summer vacations, part of agrarian America, are no longer necessary. Back to the basics of the three R's -- no BS feel good courses and rewritten history. Longer school days. Uniforms and meals provided using welfare funds not paid directly to parents or guardians. With the longer school days comes increased teacher salaries that they must compete for. School choice is everywhere.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Man, you can't tell folks anything right now.

Robert E Lee and Abe Lincoln had very similar views on black people, although Lee's views were really quite a bit nicer. The bottom line, however, is the realization that slavery creates a larger problem than just slaves, one the Romans understood all too well. When you have slaves, you don't have work. So you have a need for stuff like welfare, or bread/circus. No one was getting paid except the southern aristocracy, who made money with both fists.

The only people who really liked slavery were those aristocrats. The northerners didn't like that they couldn't compete with the political power of the south. The southerners didn't like being destitute with no real work available. Meanwhile you have an aristocracy with enough money and influence that they could run their own little banana republics without worry about any Federal influence, because Federal supremacy was still mired in the federalist/anti-federalist debate.

It would have ended no matter what. The only reason it didn't end sooner is because Manifest Destiny gave plenty of opportunity to people that were shut out by slavery.

It doesn't take genius to figure this out.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah, you're right. It's a shame so many people are hardheaded and refuse to accept anything outside of what they were taught to believe. Any history book prior to the 80's or 90's will tell you this stuff.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I agree kinda, but truth be told we as a nation have not really dealt with the issue honestly, it's not a rehashing but more of a continuing of ideological bills unpaid, and propped up by those who want to clean-up a dirty image without soap and water, and this should not be the work the descendants of enslaved folks need to do, but folks who continues to lie and promote such nefarious BS...
Let's lance that gwaad damn boil and get it over with.
edit on 29-6-2020 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

From where i stand as a pretty centrist guy, im going to tell you that this cannot happen as long as people keep electing Democrats, or people with views similar.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Nickn3
Absolute foolishness to fight over something that happened 150 years ago. We have more pressing matters to attend to.

Sayz you of little understanding, but quick of your in your casual dismissals of your fellow darker skinned American POV ,without proper inquiry.

That's rich.... You're complaining about a guy who was opposed to slavery. But hey, it's old history so it's gotta go, just like Lincoln and Roosevelt. Right?

No he wasn't and that part of the zombie lie that simply won't die.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Absolute foolishness to fight over something that happened 150 years ago. We have more pressing matters to attend to.

Sayz you of little understanding, but quick of your in your casual dismissals of your fellow darker skinned American POV ,without proper inquiry.

That's rich.... You're complaining about a guy who was opposed to slavery. But hey, it's old history so it's gotta go, just like Lincoln and Roosevelt. Right?

No he wasn't and that part of the zombie lie that simply won't die.

What? It's well known that Lee was opposed to slavery and ONLY fought in the Confederacy because he was loyal to Virginia and Virginia had seceded.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I really don't think this is a party issue thing, but more of a truth thing, every one of those monuments have a history behind them and why they were built, not some long ago thing we are talking about , some well within our own time here.
I've done some follow-up research on a vid I shared with Cenpuppie on the first pg, so as to be fair in my critique and not take things at face value , and sure enough it's pretty damned bad.
youtu.be...
A!I I can say is if you have the time view the above pls, again I've taken the time to do follow ups on much of what he said.
edit on 29-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

The monuments are there because the south was raped during Reconstruction, and part of the negotiations that occured related to Confederate soldiers being given all honors that an American soldier would be given.

To the normal guy living in the south, they fought because someone was there to fight them. Its just that simple.

And Robert E Lee hated slavery. Its not a lie. Its truth. Anyone trying to run a country with slaves would understand why...the common man suffered without work to do. Its a governmental nightmare.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

Ok. Maybe the solution is to rename all schools that have confederate names for a Republican gun owner. Harriet Tubman.
Then there is that other Republican, Martin King.

The Democratic party is the historical perpetuator of slavery. The Republican party was founded in 1854 to abolish slavery and the first black representatives to Congress were Republicans. Democrats founded the KKK and marched at Democratic conventions in the 1920's during a resurgence of the KKK. They targeted all of us immigrants in addition to the black population. They burned crosses in my family's neighborhood and threated everyone. Then some powerful friends hinted that they should stop bothering people by beating the local KKK boss and his assistants. No more burning crosses after that.
No there is a myth that the "Parties Changed Sides" or some such. They never did and the verbal contortions of the Dems are without merit.

I know right. There is no way conservatives left the democratic party and went over to those pesky progressive republicans. I mean just look at these evil KKK-loving democrats. Oh wait.

It's gotta suck to try to keep up this deflection when all modern kkk supporters and white nationalists are shown to be conservative/republican.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

I want to know when you guys will be done using those terms.

Im ultra conservative, economically speaking. This horsecrap of using fiscal terms to define social alignments sucks. They both try to outspend each behind waving hands trying to distract you

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian
Like that famous Republican Senator Robert Byrd? Hllary Clinton's inspiration? That Republican?

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Robert E Lee was opposed to slavery, just so you know.

Yes,
that is correct, he was opposed to white people being slaves,

Lee argued that, 'slavery was bad for white people but good for black people, claiming that he found slavery bothersome and time-consuming as an everyday institution to run'....can you see where I'm going? or would you just rather be deceptive.
He had slaves that he shouldn't have, up until he died.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Yeah, you're right. It's a shame so many people are hardheaded and refuse to accept anything outside of what they were taught to believe. Any history book prior to the 80's or 90's will tell you this stuff.

No, he's not right, your'e trying the scam again.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

No, im correct. And i believe you and I are actually saying the same thing more or less .

He was not against slavery due to compassion. It was expediency, although i believe it arose from a desire to provide more expedient governance more than laziness.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

Only thing i learned from your posts on threads is that you're probably a miserable person who feels it necessary to resort to insults in arguments.

Enjoy that lifestyle

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

No, im correct. And i believe you and I are actually saying the same thing more or less .

He was not against slavery due to compassion. It was expediency, although i believe it arose from a desire to provide more expedient governance more than laziness.

he kept his father-in-law's slaves because he needed money basically to cover reparations imposed on him.

That was against his FIL wishes and his will when his FIL died.
edit on 30-6-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

Robert E Lee was opposed to slavery, just so you know.

Yes,
that is correct, he was opposed to white people being slaves,

Lee argued that, 'slavery was bad for white people but good for black people, claiming that he found slavery bothersome and time-consuming as an everyday institution to run'....can you see where I'm going? or would you just rather be deceptive.
He had slaves that he shouldn't have, up until he died.

No, that's not what he said.

"In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence."

Blacks taken from their tribes in Africa by African slave traders, in Lee's opinion, didn't yet know the way of American life which is why he thought the painful discipline was necessary. The problem is that you can't look at his opinions, which were exactly like all white men in the North and South back then, and judge them by the standards of today.

We all know it was wrong now, but we're getting the view none of them ever got which is hindsight.

I'm not scamming anyone. I'm judging the man by the standards of his days and I'm not using revised history to do so.

ETA: The reason he said it was good for black people was because he knew they were better off here in America than over in Africa where they came from.
edit on 30-6-2020 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

thats great.

Has nothing to do with his views on governance. That was a personal choice born out of necessity, it wasn't his philosophy.

No one who lead a nation preferred slavery. It was only ever allowed (even in Rome) as a way to keep the money from bailing on government. The problem is, who feeds the masses that cannot earn their own food? Just on the face of it, the logical choice is obvious.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

he kept his father-in-law's slaves because he needed money basically to cover reparations imposed on him.

That was against his FIL wishes and his will when his FIL died.

Plus he separated families, used brutal punishments, etc.

His actions - - outweigh his words on paper.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join