It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes bill to make Washington DC the 51st state

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
It will not get ratified by the senate of signed by the President. This is but another mockery of the house. They have lost all respect for law.

The constitutional mockery is happening in the Senate not the house. The senate not allowing any legislation (SNIP) coming up for vote. That's procedural stonewalling of the most disingenuous sort.

Mod Note: It Is Time To Get The Mud Back Into The Political Mudpit
edit on 27-6-2020 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
a reply to: SolAquarius

Every hear of "Taxation without Representation"?

It's about time. Personally I'd like to see Puerto Rice, etc. included as well.

I'm curious are you a resident of DC? I'm interested to find out why you seem to be so passionate about it.

I'm guessing if you were a resident of the District of Columbia that would be one reason and you might feel strongly about being taxed without representation.

Just asking out of curiosity.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
LOL
I guess Congress forgot that THEY don't start the process!!!!
First step is for the proposed state to vote on the issue.
Actually, looks like the skipped the first 3 steps!!!
politics.stackexchange.com...#:~:text=The%20propos ed%20state%20officially%20petitions%20Congress%20for%20Statehood.,accept%20the%20state.%20The%20president%20signs%20the%20bill.

I think its more of a dog and pony show then an actual legitimate attempt to make

DC into a state.

Of course you all think that. But as someone who is originally from DC, we have been trying to attain statehood ever since I can remember. DC has more residents than either Vermont or Wyoming and about equal in number to Alaska & North Dakota. This is not a new fight. We've had "taxation without representation" on our license plates for decades now.
edit on 27-6-2020 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
There needs to be a LAW, not a rule, a law that any time a legislator votes for an unconstitutional bill there are severe monetary penalties.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   

edit on 27-6-2020 by SolAquarius because: ATS CODE SUCKS

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
LOL
I guess Congress forgot that THEY don't start the process!!!!
First step is for the proposed state to vote on the issue.
Actually, looks like the skipped the first 3 steps!!!
politics.stackexchange.com...#:~:text=The%20propos ed%20state%20officially%20petitions%20Congress%20for%20Statehood.,accept%20the%20state.%20The%20president%20signs%20the%20bill.

I think its more of a dog and pony show then an actual legitimate attempt to make

DC into a state.

Of course you all think that. But as someone who is originally from DC, we have been trying to attain statehood ever since I can remember. DC has more residents than either Vermont or Wyoming and about equal in number to Alaska & North Dakota. This is not a new fight. We've had "taxation without representation" on our license plates for decades now.

Ok that is great I have no issue with DC attempting to obtain statehood.

But why attempt to do it when it has no chance getting pass the senate....and even if by some miracle it did the president isn't going to sign it.

If the goal of DC is statehood then do it when the bill has a chance of passing both chambers and getting signed into law.

Otherwise it is just nothing but empty political gesturing and probaly hurts the movement to make DC a state in the long run.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I'm not sure how it hurts DC by reminding people that we have been at this for a long time and are still trying. If no one has even heard of it as a concept then it will never get any support/awareness from anyone. If anything, there are hopes that seeds of ideas eventually blossom. Many things in this country took multiple attempts.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I'm not sure how it hurts DC by reminding people that we have been at this for a long time and are still trying. If no one has even heard of it as a concept then it will never get any support/awareness from anyone. If anything, there are hopes that seeds of ideas eventually blossom. Many things in this country took multiple attempts.

Ok fair enough. So you see this as a good way to bring attention to DC statehood?

Do you also think with everything else going on this is a good time to bring attention to the issue?

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   

It will not get ratified by the senate of signed by the President. This is but another mockery of the house. They have lost all respect for law.

The constitutional mockery is happening in the Senate not the house. The senate not allowing any legislation (SNIP) coming up for vote. That's procedural stonewalling of the most disingenuous sort.

Mod Note: It Is Time To Get The Mud Back Into The Political Mudpit

It works both ways.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Ok fair enough. So you see this as a good way to bring attention to DC statehood?

Do you also think with everything else going on this is a good time to bring attention to the issue?

I think that anytime we can get it up for a vote is good. It's been difficult to get that. Re: awareness.

I also think that we can work on multiple things at one time. But mostly it's the idea that someday in some court the number of times that have been tried can be cited for leverage (in addition to the fact that DC pays more in taxes than 22 other states but have zero say in how that money is spent, DC has no control over it's own courts, DC residents fight in the armed forces but don't get the freedoms they fight for, no representation in The House, DC has no representation on senate committees or on the senate floor, etc).

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

A Ploy just to get Two More Democrat Senators ? .Fagetaboutit !

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Not a big believer in the old , no taxation without representation idea , are you.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   

House Democrats passed a bill Friday to make Washington, D.C., the 51st U.S. state, a historic move unlikely to gain traction in the Republican-held Senate.

The chamber approved it by a 232-180 vote.

The legislation would give Washington residents, who have long decried the fact that they pay federal taxes but have no voting representation in Congress, one House member and two senators. A smaller area encompassing the White House, U.S. Capitol, and other federal buildings and monuments would remain under U.S. oversight.

HOUSE PASSES BILL TO MAKE DC A STATE

Gee I wonder what this is all about? Welcome to an election year everyone.

The thing that boggles my mind about these sort of bills is that just like the impeachment there is not a chance in hell they are going to get past the Senate.

Even if they did there is not a chance in hell the president is going to sign it.

I just don't get it. Is it all about "optics" for Pelosi and the house ?

Can't happen...Constitution says it can't happen...Whoever put together this bill should be charged with sedition...To propose that the Constitution be overturned by a congressional vote instead of the required Constitutional Convention needs to be in jail...

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 09:01 PM
link   

The senate not allowing "any legislation". Fixed: The senate not allowing any stupefying radical word salads the congress wants to call legislation.

Our current congress is like a child kicking on the floor yelling "They won't let me do whatever I want!!! Whaaaaa! Add to this the obvious reasons why our radical left congress would do this without following legal procedure is to help only themselves solidify and increase power and influence.

Everyone knows this because these people are not skilled at hiding their true intentions. They wish to deceive their colleagues in the Senate, and everyone knows that too. That is just one of the reasons it ain't gonna happen.

Stonewalling.... HAHA good one..

edit on 27-6-2020 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edited

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Things of this nature require Bi Partisan support, anything along party lines, DUMP IT.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Not a big believer in the old , no taxation without representation idea , are you.

Maybe in the case of DC a compromise such as no taxation and no representation.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Article I, Section 8 grants Congress the right to “exercise exclusive Legislation” over the “District” that is “the Seat of the Government of the United States.”

Congress cannot simply change the “Seat of the Government” into a state or delegate its power over the District to the government of a new state.

It took a constitutional amendment to give D.C. residents the ability to vote for president because they are not a state and Congress could not make them a state.

Ratified in 1961, the 23rd Amendment recognizes Congress’s authority to oversee the manner in which the District appoints electors to the Electoral College.

Congress cannot single-handedly eliminate the power this amendment grants only to Congress.

Article I would need to be amended, and the 23rd Amendment would need to be repealed for legislative efforts to be constitutional.

In Adams v. Clinton (2000), the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals found that legislative efforts to allow for voting representation in Congress were unconstitutional.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BadBoYeed

as a state it would get electoral votes...and as it stands they would be blue votes.

Democrat's primary reason for wanting to make D.C. a state, is because they will gain 2 Democrat Senators. (DC is mostly Democrat voters)

Source: www.theblaze.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Ok could you give me a quick civics lesson here.

Are you basically saying that if DC wanted to be a state it would require a constitutional convention and an amendment.

If that is the case then it makes the whole gesture with the bill seem even more pointless.

Though Im sure the house majority doesn't care much about the constitution.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   
D.C is a sovereign city belonging to no one...much like the Vatican doesnt belong to Rome/Italy..a reply to: SolAquarius

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join