It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis City Council Unanimously Approves Motion To Abolish Police Force

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

From what I understand they determined the county agency was more cost effective than the county agency. It’s always the dollars, and the county made a better offer than the county did.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Ok so to anyone who thinks the police are going away now this is what my friend has told me.

First the council voted to remove the police.

Then they voted to amend the city charter to abolish the police.

None of these have gone into effect the police are still active performing their duties all though they are strained to the max dealing with all the increase in gun violence.

The amendment to abolish will be up to vote in November and the citizens of Minneapolis will be able to vote yes or no on it before any further action can be taken.

If they have any sense they will vote NO.

I might not be wholly correct on this being process because im learning the situation as it unfolds and as my friend tell me what is going on and also researching on my own.

These last few days have been like a crash course on both city politics of Seattle and Minneapolis for me.

I have realized up until this point I was pretty ignorant on local and city politics and now have an interest in them and learning the about it.

Maybe for the sheer reason of realizing how screwy even local politics can be.

edit on 27-6-2020 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
The best thing the good folks of Minneapolis could do now is pack up and leave. Flee. Like rats from a sinking ship... just go. I am not sure how the "new" system is supposed to work, but I am pretty sure that most hardened criminals will not be deterred by a "violence prevention group" any more than they are deterred by the neighborhood watch signs. I imagine some opportunistic criminals may even move to take up residence in this good city.

Who knows? I guess we will see how this social experiment will pan out. I am just glad I am not living there with a front row seat.
While residents flee en masse (it’s gonna be a buyers market), criminals will be drawn to a large city with no police department. Anyone choosing to stay would be a fool not to buy a firearm and ammo. I’d apply for a carry permit and pack heat every time I leave the house. I’ve never heard of a more irresponsible action by leaders of a city. Insane.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Why apply for a permit?

Just open carry at will

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

There are still municipal cops. They are just managed by the county.

The new county force is double the size of the old one, and officers almost exclusively patrol the city

www.bloomberg.com...

To say Camden doesn’t have municipal law enforcement is not a true statement.
edit on 27-6-2020 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

To say Camden doesn’t have municipal law enforcement is not a true statement.

Good thing I didn’t say that. Discussions go a lot smoother when you pay attention to what somebody says rather than making things up and attacking those points instead.

We’ll do this one more time. The “municipal police” aren’t “managed” by the county. They’re employed by Camden county and they can police the entirety of Camden county should any other city within the county choose to go that route, including the city of Camden, which is within Camden county. Camden city doesn’t have a separate force “managed” by somebody else. It’s one agency. It can cover the entire county, including the city. Camden county PD’s metro division covers the city. They’re county cops because the city agency doesn’t exist because the city chose to disband it and coordinated with the county to create a new agency.

I think we’re done here.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   

True or false. There is a municipal police force for Camden.

The Camden County Police Department (CCPD) is the municipal police agency for the city of Camden, Camden County, New Jersey, formed in 2013. It is the successor to the Camden Police Department.[1]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

mu·nic·i·pal
/myo͞oˈnisəpəl/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
relating to a city or town or its governing body.

www.lexico.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   

True or false: you’re asking questions and attacking points that have absolutely nothing to do with anything I’ve said, which is why you won’t quote me in your questions.

True. Definitely true.

True or false: Camden city police department doesn’t exist any more?

True.

True or false: Camden county police department exists and polices the city of Camden?

True.

This is fun. Let’s keep going till you find a point that literally nobody else has even mentioned that you can mention and possibly find something to be right about and feel like you’ve “won” something and saved face.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:06 AM
link   

The thing that worries me about the comparison between Camden is the fact it is a totally different city and state. I work in Downtown Minneapolis and have seen the incompetence of leadership for many years.

Maybe what Camden did worked for them but I have zero confidence in the ability of the Minneapolis city council to do anything correctly. Factor that with the inability of the mayor and the governor, as we have seen through the whole riot process.

At least in my opinion I think there is very little hope this turns out good. Maybe Camden has a perfect blueprint to follow to make this work but I doubt Minneapolis chooses to follow it or has the ability to follow it

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Charliebrowndog

Oh I think Minneapolis is going to go hard in the paint on the hugs and kisses “model” of law enforcement, and it’s going to bite them in the ass. They’re going to have a police force a fraction of the size needed for the city and it won’t take long to be overrun.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Such a simple question. And yet you have to move the goal post.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

Can you direct me to them on the City of Camden's website? Where does the link for the police take you?

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:37 AM
link   

This

Launched on May 1, 2013, the Camden County Police Department is the primary law enforcement agency for the City of Camden.

www.camdencounty.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   

So yes. The town of Camden still has municipal police coverage and law enforcement.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Moving the Goalposts (also known as: gravity game, raising the bar, argument by demanding impossible perfection [form of]) Description: Demanding from an opponent that he or she address more and more points after the initial counter-argument has been satisfied refusing to concede or accept the opponent’s argument.

No, chief, the only one here who keeps changing the direction of the conversation in an effort to “win” something is you.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   

The town of Camden still has municipal police coverage and law enforcement.

You're arguing with yourself, sparky, no one said they don't have police coverage, they're saying it's no longer managed by the city but instead by the county.

I do like how you avoided my question though. Weasel.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Avoid what question? I have been quite clear in all my posts.

The posts that started it all?

Camden New Jersey has been one of the most violent cities in American for literally decades before they disbanded their police department, and violent crime has steadily declined once the new agency was formed.

I know you’re here to push an agenda, but maybe don’t use blatant lies to do so.

Meaning what.

In 2013 the Camden police force disbanded. Responsible of municipal law enforcement was shifted to the county police department with an increase in the department and manpower. It is quiet clear there was / and is still a distinction of municipal Law enforcement which is specifically tasked with the county department. Not to your liking. But the government pages of the Camden County Police Department is quiet clear they provide county and municipal law enforcement for the city of Camden.

Which was a smart move. Especially reducing the power of the union.

The Camden County Police Department doesn’t treat Camden as just party of the county. Camden County Police Department makes the distinction they have the authority and manpower to specifically maintain municipal law enforcement that is separated from just the county responsibility.

Is any of that false?
edit on 28-6-2020 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Avoid what question?

Can you direct me to them on the City of Camden's website? Where does the link for the police take you?

Keep it up, sparky, you're good with arguing with you, about the only person you can whip.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

What’s hysterical is that this....whatever it is....is being had with somebody who’s worked for two different agencies that are by statute county police agencies that also work cities/towns/villages within the county. Kind of exactly like how Camden county PD is set up.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

What’s hysterical is that this....whatever it is....is being had with somebody who’s worked for two different agencies that are by statute county police agencies that also work cities/towns/villages within the county. Kind of exactly like how Camden county PD is set up.

Hysterical over what. That the county police department makes the distinction in regards to the responsible of municipal law enforcement was handed to them. That they maintain the responsibility of municipal law enforcement, and separate it from their country responsibilities. And the county police department was increased in size and manpower to maintain a municipal law enforcement presence for Camden?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join