It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis City Council Unanimously Approves Motion To Abolish Police Force

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Remember what happened at the end of A clockwork orange? The goons got hired to be police.
If doublespeak is in use here then this innocuous sounding department may be a ferocious and remorseless grinder of souls...

reply to: xuenchen

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

According to protected sources, organized crime has already took over the city.

Murder will rise = kill a cop = death penalty

- kill a civilian ....? parole in 10 years?

This new agency....LOL.... already dead....they just don't know it.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Great post !!! I needed that laugh!! But seriously, GET OUT IF THAT TOWN....NOW!
😳😳😳😄😄😄😒

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Did you read anything I wrote? Dissolving the department is dissolving the department. Call it whatever you want.

Minneapolis isn’t dissolving anything. All they’ve done in Minneapolis is take step one to get the measure on the ballot in November. The measure says they will continue to have an agency staffed by sworn law enforcement officers. They aren’t disbanding the PD until they have something to replace it with, if it even gets that far in the first place.

It is exactly equal to how it was done in Camden, a process that took months to complete.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Took me a minute to pick my jaw up off the floor. I can't believe there was actually a unanimous vote for this... idiocy. Sure it's gonna be a lengthy process, but wth?

The suggested department would consist of peace officers and ensure public safety through “a holistic, public health-oriented approach.”

Hahahahaha
Just no.

edit on 6/27/2020 by Slinki because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/27/2020 by Slinki because: derpness

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Just imagine when the Muzzies have had enough of the lawlessness and institute Sharia law. Hand amputations for theft, 50 lashes for speeding, and beheading for drug use and rioting. They'll turn it around.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Did you read anything I wrote? Dissolving the department is dissolving the department. Call it whatever you want.

Minneapolis isn’t dissolving anything. All they’ve done in Minneapolis is take step one to get the measure on the ballot in November. The measure says they will continue to have an agency staffed by sworn law enforcement officers. They aren’t disbanding the PD until they have something to replace it with, if it even gets that far in the first place.

It is exactly equal to how it was done in Camden, a process that took months to complete.

What does that have to do with this post?

originally posted by: neutronflux
a reply to: Shamrock6

Did you read anything just cited?

“ (though around 100 officers were rehired),”

“ The Camden County Police Department (CCPD) is the municipal police agency for the city of Camden,”

So no. The city officials didn’t leave a vacuum of law enforcement. How is that equal to what is being pushed by the Minneapolis City Council?

—————-

And you posted this:

To be fair, the city of Camden did in fact dissolve/disband/whatever their own city PD, then formed a county PD.

From Wikipedia

The Camden County Police Department (CCPD) is the municipal police agency for the city of Camden, Camden County, New Jersey, formed in 2013. It is the successor to the Camden Police Department.[1]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

————————

Now answer. Camden was never left with out law enforcement coverage. Camden County Police Department “is the municipal police agency for the city of Camden”. The city police department was dissolved yes. Law enforcement coverage for the city was never dissolved. Minneapolis city council is calling for abolishing the police department and law enforcement cover of Minneapolis. Is that false. Which is a huge difference from what Camden NJ accomplished.
edit on 27-6-2020 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Minneapolis City Council Advances Plan to Abolish Police Department

www.wsj.com...

A majority of city-council members pledged during one protest to abolish the police department. The proposed amendment language says the police will be replaced with a new entity that will take a “holistic, public-health oriented approach” to public safety.

It says the new head of the department shouldn’t come from a law-enforcement background, but possibly from community health or restorative justice.

The new department could have a division of law enforcement with licensed “peace officers,” the proposed charter language says. The head of that division would be named by the head of the new department, subject to approval by the mayor and council.

Council members described the proposed charter amendment as an effort to remove one possible roadblock to revamping how the city deals with public safety in the wake of Mr. Floyd’s killing, but not the end of their push for change.

So. What is Minneapolis’s city Council plans to serve warrants, get dead beat parents to court, make arrests under warrants, Deal with people that don’t show up for court dates, deal with domestic violence, and standoffs by armed individuals?
edit on 27-6-2020 by neutronflux because: Fixed quote

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Is that false.

Yea, it is.

The council on Friday unanimously approved sending to a public commission a proposed charter amendment that could ultimately end up on the November ballot.

Oop, guess that means it’s not even certain that it’ll make it past the commission and get to the ballot for people to vote on in nearly six months.

Council member Phillipe Cunningham said they're committed to a year-long community process to determine how the new agency would work. "We are not starting from scratch. We are not starting with a completely blank slate," he said, pointing to changes meant to prevent violence at other law enforcement agencies across the country.

A year long process to figure out how the new agency will work. Huh. That makes it sound like it’s a year long process or something.

(b) Division of Law Enforcement Services. The Council may maintain a division of law enforcement services, composed of licensed peace officers, subject to the supervision of the department of community safety and violence prevention. (1) Director of Law Enforcement Services Division. The director of the department of community safety and violence prevention shall appoint the director of the division of law enforcement services, subject to confirmation by official act of the City Council and Mayor.

Oop, that sounds like the amendment proposal still allows for a law enforcement arm of the public safety agency. Almost like they still want law enforcement around.

Sounds an awful lot like how Camden decided to disband their city agency in 2011 and had the county agency formed in 2013.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Ask them.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is bread-and-circuses.

Smoke. Mirrors. Dare I say appeasement.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slinki
Took me a minute to pick my jaw up off the floor. I can't believe there was actually a unanimous vote for this... idiocy. Sure it's gonna be a lengthy process, but wth?

The suggested department would consist of peace officers and ensure public safety through “a holistic, public health-oriented approach.”

Hahahahaha
Just no.

It's more like a "hole-istic" approach 😁

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   
They will have your phone watch behavior and social credit apps and drones.
This IS what the plan is all about. Police are humans they can make choices this method will give control to the top completely.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

So, the Minneapolis City council call to abolish the police is a political lie so the council can pander to the mob. Got it.
edit on 27-6-2020 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

The Minneapolis council doesn’t have a plan, or they don’t want people to know the truth of their plan.

Minneapolis City Council President On Dismantling Police: Wanting To Call The Police "Comes From A Place Of Privilege"

www.realclearpolitics.com... ace_of_privilege.html

CAMEROTA: Do you understand that the word, dismantle, or police-free also makes some people nervous, for instance? What if in the middle of night, my home is broken into? Who do I call?

BENDER: Yes, I mean, hear that loud and clear from a lot of my neighbors. And I know -- and myself, too, and I know that that comes from a place of privilege. Because for those of us for whom the system is working, I think we need to step back and imagine what it would feel like to already live in that reality where calling the police may mean more harm is done.

And so in the very immediate, we have to lean in to whatever changes we can make in our existing police department. You know, I think we look to cities like Camden, New Jersey, that completely restructured their department, as we build up systems.

And we've already done that. We are not starting from scratch. We have invested in community-based safety strategies. We have knowledge in our community across the city. We've done an analysis of all the reasons people call 911 and have looked up ways we can shift the response away from our armed police officers into a more appropriate response for mental health calls, for some domestic violence calls, for health-related issues.

And so the groundwork is laid already in Minneapolis for us to build on that, to learn from folks around the world, but really also to listen to our community and put those community voices front and center, as we build up those systems even further.

Lots of double talk with no actual commitment to answering how call outs to active violent crime is going to be handled. Or the “vote” to abolish the police is a political stunt/lie.
edit on 27-6-2020 by neutronflux because: Fixed

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Weird way of saying that I’m right, but I’ll accept it.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I really don’t give a #, guy. I think their plan is idiotic from start to finish. Why you’re demanding I explain what their plan is for X, Y, or Z absolutely escapes me. All I did is point out that a) Camden was absurdly violent for decades before they replaced their department with a new one and b) that nobody is going to wake up Monday morning in Minneapolis without a police presence. You took that and tried to go down a rabbit hole that I could not possibly give less of a # about, so find somebody else to argue about it with.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Minneapolis City Council President

Because for those of us for whom the system is working

www.realclearpolitics.com... ace_of_privilege.html

So? Even thought it mostly works, push to abolish the whole thing? Hasn’t Minneapolis Democrats had the control to make the system work for everyone for the last 40 years?

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Your the one that talked about the complete dismantling of the police department. But now your saying the city council pushing to abolish the police department isn’t really going to dismantle the police department?

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Please quote the part that makes you “right”?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join