It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Blood type may factor in COVID-19 risk, severity of symptoms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   
So this is interesting. They are finding a cluster of genetic factors linked to blood type may play a role in your likelihood to both contract the virus and develop severe symptoms or not with corona virus if you do.

Researchers combed through genetic codes looking for similarities. One similarity they found among the ill patients was a DNA cluster which determines blood types. This prompted further research into which specific blood types were present in the majority of severe coronavirus cases in the sample population.

Results indicated that people with Type A blood had a 45% higher risk of infection than those with other blood types.

Similarly, researchers identified a “protective effect” in people with Type O blood, saying they were only two-thirds as likely to become infected.

It would be interesting to know, for example, what blood type some of the families we heard about developed severe illness where many of them ended up dying had. Blood type tends to be hereditary. I wonder if they were type A families?

For reference:

Some info on blood types by race

I put this up because of the noted racial disaparity in coronavirus cases. I thought maybe the blood type effect might explain some of it, but as you can see:

Caucasians are more likely to be type A than African-Americans, and African-Americans are more likely to have blood type O. So any disparities by race would have lie in other factors.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm 45 next month and do you know I'm not even sure which blood type i am myself.

Should probably find that our really, guess ill ask the Doctor next time we are in conversation. LoL

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I'm an O- and husband is A-.

We're not sure about our kiddo, but he's young enough to be in the "safe" zone.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I'm 45 next month and do you know I'm not even sure which blood type i am myself.

Should probably find that our really, guess ill ask the Doctor next time we are in conversation. LoL

I've had many blood tests at my doctor's office and they seem to have my complete medical history on file, but when I asked my doctor what blood type I was he told me they don't do blood typing unless it is necessary. He suggested I go give some blood because they will blood type it for free (part of the process I guess).

The test is really simple, we did it in high school science class, just requires a drop of blood. Unfortunately, I don't remember the results. Maybe the kit can be purchased online, I'll probably check that out and am putting that on my list.

ETA: Amazon and even Walmart have the kit available. The Walmart one says quick, easy and painless (right). $14.99 at Walmart, but my store is out of stock and can't deliver it (sounds like a shortage).
edit on 26-6-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

The easiest way to do it mate is simply to give blood at a bank, as they test the stuff.

Apparently that how my Mrs found out shes O+.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Really glad you posted this, thank you. I just found out yesterday my girlfriends mom just tested positive and she watches the boys. We have had the boys all week. 1 had a runny nose the other slight fever for 2 days. But they have been symptom free for 5 days. Me and my girlfriend have had some weird symptoms. Pain behind the eyes, headaches, and upset stomach but no fever. Hoping it passes.

But because of your post I contacted my mother she said I'm type A. And that's a little concerning. I guess we will see how this goes.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   

See that's the thing i know what both types my kids are, just not myself.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

See that's the thing i know what both types my kids are, just not myself.

We all got to type ours in junior high science, and then they, of course, did mine when I was preggers. I told them what husband's was when they were talking about the RH factor shot because I wanted to know why they were still insisting I take it, and they refused to explain why I needed it.

I was just a little ticked off about that. I wasn't set against it. I just wanted to know.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yep , I'm in the high-risk-mofo category.
A+ blood, over 65, diabetes, heart disease, bronchitis-almost-COPD lung problems.
YET STILL, I take my bandana with me to look compliant and haven't work a mask yet (except in the hospital).
Fortunately, according to tests, There's nothing wrong with my immune system.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Type O- checking in with itailian and irish roots. Where are my reparations? Jk. Type O- is like the 3rd most common blood type if i recall correctly.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck
They do blood type when you're born. Mine is A+, yet I don't get sick at all. I don't have any underlying health issues or anything like that. When I get a cold it lasts like 2 days. I have never had lung issues or pneumonia. Last time I got the flu I was 14, I am a healthy 43 year old.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: liliththedestroyer

My wife is AB+ and supposedly long had immune issues. She was doing IViG for a while and now has no issues. Wonder if its possible to analyze infection rate and mortality of those who were on that type of treatment.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
So this is interesting. They are finding a cluster of genetic factors linked to blood type may play a role in your likelihood to both contract the virus and develop severe symptoms or not with corona virus if you do.

Researchers combed through genetic codes looking for similarities. One similarity they found among the ill patients was a DNA cluster which determines blood types. This prompted further research into which specific blood types were present in the majority of severe coronavirus cases in the sample population.

Results indicated that people with Type A blood had a 45% higher risk of infection than those with other blood types.

Similarly, researchers identified a “protective effect” in people with Type O blood, saying they were only two-thirds as likely to become infected.

It would be interesting to know, for example, what blood type some of the families we heard about developed severe illness where many of them ended up dying had. Blood type tends to be hereditary. I wonder if they were type A families?

For reference:

Some info on blood types by race

I put this up because of the noted racial disaparity in coronavirus cases. I thought maybe the blood type effect might explain some of it, but as you can see:

Caucasians are more likely to be type A than African-Americans, and African-Americans are more likely to have blood type O. So any disparities by race would have lie in other factors.

Ummm...I know...and I just happen to have A-pos blood...

Cue the shamer crew...so that they can spew the crap they spew...

I can hardly wait...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wasn't this brought up last month or the month before?

I found it interesting because I'm A- and if I have been affected/infected, then it barely effected me.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

A-, screw CV

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I was reading another study about people who are HLA B27 positive. People with HLA B27 markers a prone towards certain autoimmune diseases such as Ankylosing Spondylosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Inflammatory Bowl disease.

HLA B27

People who are known to have HLA B27 seem to also been less prone to getting viral infections, such as HIV-1, hepatitis C and influenza and think the same would apply to COvid-19. being Novel, not enough evidence to confirm this yet.

HLA B27 and Covid-19

I was diagnosed with HLA B27 when I was 22 after suffering extreme debilitating pelvic and back pain. I was also suffering from bacterial colitis and had a hard time with maintaining weight. I will say that when most people get sick, I usually don't, but when I do get sick, my body over reacts with high fever and faster recovery time.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I’m O+ I don’t seem to get sick very often I didn’t know my blood type was linked to sickness

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I wonder if covid can be transmitted by mosquito?

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I wonder if covid can be transmitted by mosquito?

Whether it can or not, you can bet they'll put it out there if they think it will scare people.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Alchemst7

Allele G is risk allele for B27 syndromes, there is still A, C and G alleles.
(A;A) common/normal
(A;G) likely to be a carrier of one HLA-B27 allele, possible risk for B27 Syndromes.
(G;G) likely to carry two HLA-B27 alleles, possible risk for B27 Syndromes.
and if you are CC 1.36 higher risk for infertility if Chinese man
So the question is have you GG or or some other combination... what ever combination you have it is possible a nasty one for some disease.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join