It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activists & Journalists Say The Star Spangled Banner Should No Longer Be The National Anthem

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
a reply to: infolurker
Well if there someone who isn't problematic it's John Lennon.

Surely no one could dig up any bad actions from his past.

I'd think adopting a national anthem written by a foreigner might be a little problematic. That and the song blows.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
Well if there someone who isn't problematic it's John Lennon.

Surely no one could dig up any bad actions from his past.

I'd think adopting a national anthem written by a foreigner might be a little problematic. That and the song blows.

The melody of your National Anthem was written by a foreigner.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lilroanie
Heh, I've been saying since the day I heard it Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" should be the National Anthem. I get goosebumps still every time I hear it. Star Spangled Banner does nada

Oh Jesus, I am so sick of that #ing song. I would rather put a loaded shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger than to have to hear that song played as the national anthem.

And also we aren't changing the national anthem.. that's beyond stupid. I am starting to wonder if they arent trying to turn more people into White Nationalists with this crap.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Songwriters crib melodies all the time. There's only so many ways you can arrange the notes.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Yes ... let's replace it with a song based on the word no about all the things we're not supposed to have.

Lennon also said that Imagine was basically the Communist Manifesto in a song.

edit on 26-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hey if we're really moving on to the gobalist/corporatocracy/new world order, we'll need an anthem with no words. I think Devo nailed it back in '79.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

There's only so many ways you can arrange the notes.

They didn't arrange anything. They just used the exact tune of an English Beer Drinking Song.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Aside from marrying Yoko, you mean??

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Exactly my point, since I said songwriters crib (steal) melodies all the time.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
What’s next? Change the name of our nation? Clearly, the Left hates our flag, so we’ll have to change it, too. Everything named after a slave owner will have to be renamed and their images removed, including Washington, D.C., the state of Washington, the Washington Monument, the dollar bill and the quarter. U.S. Grant, who played a large role in defeating the South, and thereby freeing the slaves, once owned a slave, so his memory must be erased. Jefferson, who was the main author of the Declaration of Independence, organizer of the Louisiana Purchase, signer of the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves, has to go. Washington and Jefferson will have to be removed from Mount Rushmore. Street names must be changed. Textbooks rewritten. So much to do!

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scapegrace
Everything named after a slave owner will have to be renamed

Does that include all of the people of color named Washington and Jefferson?

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: drussell41
I will NEVER stand for "Imagine" nor place my hand over my heart, etc.

They want you to kneel for it and place your hand into your pocket for reparations. Get with the program.

LOL! Kinda. Vacillating between that and "f* off".
edit on 26-6-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Then they win. If theirs is the only voice they will get their way.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

au contraire; www.mirror.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Here we go, as predicted they will now come after the National Anthem. Any bets if the POS sports teams cave on this one? They want to replace the Star Spangled Banner with John Lennon's Imagine. Really?

Makes you wonder why the hold Islam in such esteem since their prophet supported taking slaves, owned slaves, made others slaves, and gave guidelines on how to treat their slaves.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

There is growing outrage over calls by activists, historians and journalists to replace The Star Spangled Banner as the national anthem because it was written by slave owner Francis Scott Key, and potentially replace it with John Lennon's Imagine.

They say that because the song was written by Francis Scott Key, a white slave owner who made overtly racist remarks, it is no longer appropriate that lyrics he wrote should still be the national anthem given the ongoing cultural reckoning and recognizing of systemic racism in America.

They dont even know why it was written, because most. Grade schools abd high schools don't teach US history or leave out major portions of it.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

It's not the song. It's the guy who wrote the song. He was apparently apart of a wealthy slave-owning family who was a racist himself. The historian also claimed he participated in attacks on native Americans and blacks as for some reason the political tension at the time had people doing that.

SO WHAT. I'm tired of this argument. Every political/historical figure had moral blemishes. JFK, MLK, Howard Hughes, Nicola Tesla, the founding fathers, Ghandi, Ray Charles, Thomas Edison, on and on and on the list goes.

People want to throw out the baby with the bath water, refusing to consider that we are all imperfect.

We are at a precipice where the Culture Police are prepared to wipe out and 'sanitize' every aspect of history that doesn't taste perfect to them. You know what? History is not just the events we liked and make us feel warm and fuzzy, it's EVERYTHING of significance that has happened, the Good, the Bad, the Ugly.

One thing I'm curious about is this question: for the statue topplers and cancellation Wokees, who is it that YOU want statues made of, paintings to depict in museums and government buildings, and national anthems composed by? Do you have any creative input to lend, or you just want to watch it all burn?
edit on 27-6-2020 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Well, i was just explaining what the issue was over because some people thought it was the lyrics.

I think i said my personal opinion in an earlier post. Basically to take into consideration what the thing represents. Star spangled banner has nothing to do with racism in the lyrics so it's possible we can ignore the fact that the artist was racist.

Whereas, Columbus day celebrates a man who was evil figuare in history. Confederate flags and statues represent men who faught on the side of slavery.

And yes, i could think of a few historical figuares that are better than those who faught against yhe union on the side of slsvery.

How about a woman who was born a slave, got educated, and faught for women's sufferage?:

"Born into slavery, Victoria Earle Matthews (1861-1907) was an accomplished social worker, journalist, and activist. She wrote for The Women’s Era, the first newspaper written by and for African-American women, and helped establish the White Rose Mission in 1899 to house and assist young southern black women moving to NYC. She was an advocate for suffrage and the rights of black women, contributing to the Woman’s Loyal League of New York and Brooklyn and the National Federation of Afro-American Women."

She's a minor character in history, but that's just one example of hundreds with amazing stories that are 10x more empowering than a robert e lee statue.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

"Imagine" is a utopian dream that is in reality a nightmare.

Sounds like CHAZ.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: Scapegrace
Everything named after a slave owner will have to be renamed

Does that include all of the people of color named Washington and Jefferson?

Start with Sheila Jackson-Lee. She's a double Confederate General legacy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join